1 2 3 4
forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
3/30/09 5:23 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: The H3T's bed is far too short to be of any real use. If I can't fit 2 dirt bikes in longways and close the tailgate or carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood without using one of those extender doohickeys that sticks in the trailer hitch, it's a poseur truck.

Just like those goofy Honda Ridgelines, except stronger.

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
3/30/09 5:28 p.m.

I have 2 words for Hummer being axed:

Good. Riddance.

(They'll still be made for the military more than likely though, the only demographic that really needs them.)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/30/09 6:09 p.m.
Redhornet wrote: (They'll still be made for the military more than likely though, the only demographic that really needs them.)

actually. The JLTV contract has been awarded.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/004500.html

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/30/09 6:18 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: there is nothing wrong with wearing a Trans-Am T shirt. the pheonix=greatest logo ever

The only thing better would be a silver "Style Auto" jacket

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/30/09 6:47 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Redhornet wrote: (They'll still be made for the military more than likely though, the only demographic that really needs them.)
actually. The JLTV contract has been awarded. http://www.defensetech.org/archives/004500.html

the military vehicles are still made by AM General, compleatly seperate from GM and the Hummer brand

And H1s have been discontinued to the public for over 2 years now

edit H1s where still built by AMG and marketed by GM and H2/H3's are solidly GM's own

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
3/30/09 7:26 p.m.

Double. Good. Riddance.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
3/30/09 8:16 p.m.
Redhornet wrote: Double. Good. Riddance.

Sure, now its time to get rid of that other overweight, ugly, poor fuel economy, wrong vehicle for the times-the entire line of gigantic Toyota SUVs and trucks. Lets start with the hideous Tundra.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/30/09 8:19 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: The H3T's bed is far too short to be of any real use. If I can't fit 2 dirt bikes in longways and close the tailgate or carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood without using one of those extender doohickeys that sticks in the trailer hitch, it's a poseur truck.

I understand having owned a short bed ranger. All the poor gas mileage of a full size - none of the utility.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
3/31/09 5:42 a.m.

It's official. No love for the Hummer on the GRM board.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
3/31/09 5:56 a.m.

I wonder how many unfortunate souls are at least $10k upside-down on their douchewagons? I passed the Hummer dealership the other day and they a bunch new trucks lined up with a sign that said "Your pick, $25k."

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/31/09 6:44 a.m.
forzav12 wrote:

Exactly. Go 'head on and hammer me over this, but I'd not buy a Ridgeline for the same reason I wouldn't buy an H3T or for that matter a Subaru Baja: the bed is too short. I would buy a pickup that I could really use. That would narrow my choices down to the Toyota, Nissan, F series, GM trucks and Dodges. FWIW, so far the SUV/5x10 utility trailer combo has worked out fine for me.

If it came down to the only choices I had were the Ridgeline or the H3T, the Ridgeline would win because it has Honda quality to back it up and doesn't have that air of doucheiness about it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/31/09 6:46 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/30/report-hummers-fate-to-be-decided-by-tuesday/

Well Jensenman, You'll be relieved that you know have a few more weeks to decide if you really want that H2 you've been eyeing. The decision was postponed.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/31/09 6:50 a.m.

Oh, boy. That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
3/31/09 8:20 a.m.

I wonder if on the Hummer boards, they celebrate when any sports car starts to get the axe. Since they have about the same real point in life- just fun in a different way.

E-

Kramer
Kramer Reader
3/31/09 9:35 a.m.

I think Hummer tells the story of what is wrong with GM. Instead of making these niche vehicles a model under an existing make (GMC, Chevy, Cadillac, whatever), GM made Hummer into its own brand, with its own dealer network (and expensive buildings). Now GM can't axe the brand without paying off these dealers.

Hummer did come to this (now almost dead) market first, and they changed the market. Look at the Jeep Commander styling and the FJ Cruiser for Hummer-inspired themes. Hummers are reliable, capable and stylish (although to many, not their cup-o-tea).

My opinion (and I'm a died-in-the-wool GM fan), is that Hummer was a fantastic idea, done wrong by the idiots at the RenCen. For these and other stupid ideas, Wagoner should go. I just hope GM gets back on track so I can buy their stock. My next vehicle will be a GM truck.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
3/31/09 11:16 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: I wonder if on the Hummer boards, they celebrate when any sports car starts to get the axe. Since they have about the same real point in life- just fun in a different way. E-

I don't think sports cars pose the same physical threat to a Hummer on the road. If I rear end a Hummer, my car is totaled. If a Hummer rear ends me, I'm totaled.

It's not that I don't think that giant SUVs (Hummer/Excursion/Escalade et al) have the right to exist, I just think there are too many of them being used for the wrong purposes. Also, the aggregate driver skill rating ranks low on my highly scientific index of prejudices. You may disagree.

I still want a real HMMWV someday.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
3/31/09 11:22 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I wonder if on the Hummer boards, they celebrate when any sports car starts to get the axe. Since they have about the same real point in life- just fun in a different way. E-
I don't think sports cars pose the same physical threat to a Hummer on the road. If I rear end a Hummer, my car is totaled. If a Hummer rear ends me, I'm totaled. It's not that I don't think that giant SUVs (Hummer/Excursion/Escalade et al) have the right to exist, I just think there are too many of them being used for the wrong purposes. Also, the aggregate driver skill rating ranks low on my highly scientific index of prejudices. You may disagree. I still want a real HMMWV someday.

I would imagine that the average SUV owner would say that it serves you right for buying such a small car. There's always a counter argument....

(and it's not like I own an SUV, I drive a Miata, but I don't see any joy in reducing the variety of vehicles on the market- I see the exact opposite, in fact)

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
3/31/09 11:25 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
actually. The JLTV contract has been awarded. http://www.defensetech.org/archives/004500.html

Early development only, it's still years away from initial fielding (and they're still buying AM General HMMWVs)

Cotton
Cotton Reader
3/31/09 2:39 p.m.
Jensenman wrote:
forzav12 wrote:
Exactly. Go 'head on and hammer me over this, but I'd not buy a Ridgeline for the same reason I wouldn't buy an H3T or for that matter a Subaru Baja: the bed is too short. I would buy a pickup that I could really use. That would narrow my choices down to the Toyota, Nissan, F series, GM trucks and Dodges. FWIW, so far the SUV/5x10 utility trailer combo has worked out fine for me. If it came down to the only choices I had were the Ridgeline or the H3T, the Ridgeline would win because it has Honda quality to back it up and doesn't have that air of doucheiness about it.

The Ridgeline is FULL of doucheiness. It's the perfect rig to take when you and your buddies just need to get away for a spa day. At least the H3T is a capable offroad rig.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/31/09 2:55 p.m.

(rubs hands together, grabs bag of popcorn) Oh, boy. Here goes the whole Ridgeline argument again.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/31/09 2:56 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
forzav12 wrote:
Exactly. Go 'head on and hammer me over this, but I'd not buy a Ridgeline for the same reason I wouldn't buy an H3T or for that matter a Subaru Baja: the bed is too short. I would buy a pickup that I could really use. That would narrow my choices down to the Toyota, Nissan, F series, GM trucks and Dodges. FWIW, so far the SUV/5x10 utility trailer combo has worked out fine for me. If it came down to the only choices I had were the Ridgeline or the H3T, the Ridgeline would win because it has Honda quality to back it up and doesn't have that air of doucheiness about it.
The Ridgeline is FULL of doucheiness. It's the perfect rig to take when you and your buddies just need to get away for a spa day. At least the H3T is a capable offroad rig.

I hear it's ALMOST as capable as a Toyota FJ Cruiser!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/31/09 3:17 p.m.

Yeah, the H3 done real good in the last Baja race they entered. Too bad they got beat by one of these:

There was an FJ behind them as well.

We need a 'poke' smiley.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
3/31/09 3:22 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Yeah, the H3 done real good in the last Baja race they entered. Too bad they got beat by one of these: There was an FJ behind them as well. We need a 'poke' smiley.

I knew that was coming out. Is that the Ridgeline you plan on buying? You go buy a stock Ridgeline.....I'll grab a nice H3T, then we can play.

edit: I honestly wouldn't buy either one.....at least not unless it was for peanuts, but forced to pick my choice is the H3T hands down. It seems like it would make a decent small truck. Currently I haul with my old 95 Cummins Dodge and use our 99 Cherokee for the trails.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/31/09 3:26 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Jensenman wrote: Yeah, the H3 done real good in the last Baja race they entered. Too bad they got beat by one of these: There was an FJ behind them as well. We need a 'poke' smiley.
I knew that was coming out. Is that the Ridgeline you plan on buying? You go buy a stock Ridgeline.....I'll grab a nice H3T, then we can play.

Well based on the MSRP discrepancy... does Jensenman get ~$5k to modify his car/truck/suv/van thing?

Cotton
Cotton Reader
3/31/09 3:35 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Cotton wrote:
Well based on the MSRP discrepancy... does Jensenman get ~$5k to modify his car/truck/suv/van thing?

No way dude....he needs that to pay for the all the spa trips!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3idEzcNitzIqt5gw6hOkorerYmC9XNOagYplcf1gyRK3lMqvFSLk4Eqj3HkF3Dow