1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/26/22 4:18 p.m.

While all that is true and as a Navy Fire fighting trainer I agree with it.  The reality is fire is rare.  
 My wife and family had their SUV. Catch fire and burn to the ground.  Even melting the aluminum tire rims.   They pulled to a stop  got out safely, had the required cry.  Then took a picture. 
   In 40 plus years of racing nothing occurred on track but working on the race car and a spark ignited, engulfed me in flames from the 50 gallon fuel cell.  I rolled out of the flames did another roll to put out my T shirt grabbed the fire extinguisher and had the fire out before others could get there. 
       It took me less than 10 minutes to clean and polish up everything on the race car.  I remembered later to change the T shirt.   

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
5/26/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Sounds like potential for a training exercise.  Lots of legit fear with out as much serious danger. 

ShiftLess
ShiftLess New Reader
5/27/22 4:49 p.m.

I've had two vehicles burn.  A motorcycle with a just filled fuel tank after a collision when a car turned across my lane.  I was dragged away while unconscious.  The second was a VW Westfalia that blew an injector hose and fuel ignited (fortunately not the full camper model so no propane).

The VW incident made me realize when you are in a car fire it is unlikely you are thinking clearly,  assuming you are conscious.  Keep that in mind when designing your fire suppression system and practicing emergency egress.  

Mark Petronis' take away for me was to spend what it takes for the best available safety equipment AND spend the extra money for automatic deployment of your fire extinguisher.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
8/21/22 5:05 p.m.
jimgood said:

Great reminders to practice the GTFO routine with your EYES CLOSED.

The trick is to put your helmet sock/bag over your head. Most helmets come with one and it will totally black out your vision. No way to cheat!

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
8/21/22 10:03 p.m.

I used to get many comments about my 3 layer suit and underwear in summer at VIR, even when instructing Group D students.  You never know what someone else's car prep is.  Teach by example, including safety.

Fire time back then was about 11 secs per layer;  so 40-50 seconds of protection.  I don't know current numbers.

I put a fire system in my street car that I used for HPDE  before I built a track car.

I worked in the burn unit while training  as an ER/Trauma doc.

I've taken care of many burn patients...and other trauma patients.   I don't recall any of them planning on seeing me that day.  This is not a drill.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/22/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to BimmerMaven :

Fire burns just as hot any day of the week....

And, I admit, I've been lax, too. But I remember when Espenlaub had his fire, and those recent texts from JG do make you wake up.

djhedges
djhedges New Reader
1/11/23 6:11 p.m.

I had a brake failure in my first race car, a 260z.  I opted to go off straight when the brakes didn't do the whole slowing the car down thing.  Pedal was firm and I yanked the e-brake on the rear drums which did nothing.  After the jump and roll, I thought I'll just sit here and wait for a nice corner worker to check on me. 

Then the engine bay lit up.  A moment of panic, right net, steering wheel dive.  Oh right, belts are still on.  Belts and dive. 
https://youtu.be/AeqNnZbC1Z0?t=47

Things I learned

• Forgot to turn off the fuel pump and pull the fire suppression.
  • Discovered later the fuel pump was hard wired to a switch instead of an oil pressure switch.  A fuel line elbow connector to the carb broke and just dumped fuel onto the headers.
  • A good seat really made a difference.  The car originally came with an aluminum seat but the Sparco hugging me made a hug difference. 
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFYpiMK9vSeozCWVlzrH6XTaBYg6Sl5TaZwYHfOePh2kqgKDVA4GbOZq2YjJfi57