RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
10/3/24 1:36 p.m.

Suggestion for a portable fire suppression system to be used during track Days and HPDE events

2005 Mustang  Factory Recaros, Watson Roll Bar, stock Interior

Thanks

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/3/24 1:55 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

I'd simply use a bare bones race system with one nozzle in the drivers area and one in the engine bay.

You could mount the bottle to the roll hoop and the pull handle down on the center console.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
10/4/24 4:44 p.m.

Thank you Sir

Appreciate the follow up

Regards

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/4/24 6:27 p.m.

Maybe just an element fire stick? It's like a road flare that spews extinguishing powder and it's maintenance-free.

https://elementfire.com/

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
10/4/24 8:53 p.m.

Saw that when searching for simple options.

May be the solution

Thanks

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
10/4/24 9:25 p.m.

What's wrong with a 4 or 5 lb extinusher mounted directly in front of the passenger seat?

Works in a pinch, easy to get to, easy to replace.

That's what I do with my cars with no roll cage and not strapped in with a 5 or 6 point.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/24 9:31 p.m.

Not a system, but I carry a Lifeline Zero bottle in the 911. 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
10/4/24 9:59 p.m.

Thank you

preach
preach UberDork
10/5/24 7:50 a.m.

I want to put one of these in my Cayman's engine compartment since there is no way I could get the cover off in time to save anything.

BlazeCut

loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
10/5/24 9:14 a.m.

I saw firsthand how corrosive the powder in a typical fire extinguisher is and I now switched to only using HalGuard fire extinguishers because the gas is completely safe HalGuard

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/5/24 11:43 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

What's wrong with a 4 or 5 lb extinusher mounted directly in front of the passenger seat?

Handheld extinguishers and fire systems are intended for different use cases.  Handheld extinguishers are intended to do just that -- put out a small fire before it gets to be a big one.  A built-in fire system is a very specialized tool, intended to handle cases where the fire is already big and you need precious seconds to get the car stopped and get out.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
10/5/24 11:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Maybe just an element fire stick? It's like a road flare that spews extinguishing powder and it's maintenance-free.

https://elementfire.com/

I have seen mixed reports on how well these work, if at all. I would test for myself before relying on it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
10/5/24 1:33 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Handheld extinguishers and fire systems are intended for different use cases.  Handheld extinguishers are intended to do just that -- put out a small fire before it gets to be a big one.  A built-in fire system is a very specialized tool, intended to handle cases where the fire is already big and you need precious seconds to get the car stopped and get out.

I agree!  However, for a predominantly street car it might not make sense for a full on fire supression system.  A fire extinguisher close can help you get out of the car as well.

On top of that, a full fire suppression system isn't necessarily aimed where you need it.  That was the case in one of my fiery wrecks at Charlotte.  It kinda worked.  I would have preferred something I could aim.  (Yes, I had 2 nozzles pointed at me).  Unfortunately,  I had to get out the passenger side of the car that didn't have anything and was doing its best to have a wall of fire coming up from the rocker.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/5/24 1:35 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

That's what I do with my cars with no roll cage and not strapped in with a 5 or 6 point.

I put mine in front of the driver's seat because I don't always have a passenger to hand me the extinguisher. I can reach it while seated.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
10/5/24 2:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
wvumtnbkr said:

I put mine in front of the driver's seat because I don't always have a passenger to hand me the extinguisher. I can reach it while seated.

#like.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/5/24 7:20 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I agree!  However, for a predominantly street car it might not make sense for a full on fire supression system.  A fire extinguisher close can help you get out of the car as well.

IMHO the need for a fire system (outside of racing class rules, obviously) lies in how many changes you've made to the fuel system.  Fuel is where the really dangerous fires come from, an oil fire will make a lot of smoke and destroy stuff but they don't usually get big fast enough to pose a threat to the driver's life.  OEM fuel systems are pretty solid (manufacturers have spent a LONG time perfecting that), but all bets are off with aftermarket stuff.  So to me:  aftermarket fuel lines/rail/etc => need fire system.

I think the number of cases in which a handheld extinguisher is useful for getting out of the car is very limited.  It's going to take 5-10 seconds to unlatch one, pull the pin, aim, fire it off, etc and if there's fire in the interior then that time is much better spent getting the hell out of the car.  OTOH, if you pulled off the track because of smoke coming from under the hood then the handheld bottle may be helpful in preventing the car from burning down (or setting the rest of the county on fire here in California).

I have a lifeline "halon"-style system in my race car, but I don't carry a handheld extinguisher in there.  I do have 4 or 5 of them in the trailer, though.  Used one last year to put out a fuel fire on the engine of a Formula VW that pulled into the paddock spot next to me with flames right behind the driver's head.  Driver was having trouble getting out.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
10/5/24 7:59 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Very right, but add oil system (cooler/accusump/dry sump) and propensity for rod through block failure. Oil on racing hot exhaust is pretty wild too. 

preach
preach UberDork
10/6/24 6:14 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Oil on racing hot exhaust is pretty wild too. 

That UV yellowed Y in the pic is the splitter for my car's fuel rail, it was leaking gas directly over my driver's side header. It was almost bad.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
10/6/24 7:14 a.m.

I've seen a big enough oil fire on a dyno to know that stuff burns plenty hot, too. The oil dipstick wasn't clicked in on an SBC, and they did a pull. Geyser of oil shot out and came back down on the header and flashed into real flames pretty quickly. It would've turned a car into a bonfire easily, and it could happen on any bone-stock car. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zBrJWXs5BTHZdw0FrELBtBARWuIG2vytLzXFaZYWevwRi5yq94z9cGZHErucNUTX