dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/5/08 2:15 p.m.

ALMS: Audi Pulls Out of ALMS Written by: Audi Communications Motorsport
12/05/2008 - 09:37 AM, Charlotte, NC

Audi entered the American Le Mans Series in the year 2000 and has been instrumental in building up this championship ever since.

Audi concentrates its motorsport programmes for the 2009 season on the new R15 TDI sport prototype for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the re-worked racing touring car A4 DTM and the newly developed R8 LMS for customer use in the GT3 class. Audi will not be represented by its factory team Audi Sport North America in the American Le Mans Series in 2009.

As a result of its newly aligned motorsport programme Audi offers its motorsport customers a bespoke vehicle concept for the first time: Audi Sport developed the new R8 LMS specifically to suit the user-friendly and cost-effective requirements in the production-based GT3 class in international motorsport. The powerful 500 hp plus race car based on the Audi R8 is due to be delivered in order to prove itself on track throughout the 2009 season.

The American Le Mans Series involvement will not be continued. Audi entered the American Le Mans Series in the year 2000 and has been instrumental in building up this championship ever since. The championship developed to become one of the most fascinating motorsport series within a few years, which offered and still offers the ever increasing fan community exciting motorsport. The ALMS is also recognised internationally and is regarded as the world's best sportscar championship. "The decision to withdraw was a very difficult one also for these reasons. Furthermore, with the Champion racing team we also had a partner that operates at the highest level. The extraordinary dedication and precision of Team Champion was the key to Audi's victories over the last few years in America. We achieved an unprecedented winning series together. Since the 2000 season Audi has won the LMP1 title nine-times in succession in this high-calibre sportscar championship. Our brand dominated proceedings last season by taking seven wins in eleven races. TDI in racing supported the market launch of Audi TDI technology in the USA perfectly," says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich positively of the AUDI AG involvement in the ALMS.

Even though AUDI AG concentrates its factory involvement at European venues throughout the 2009 season in these economically tough times, the American motorsport friends will be treated to a premiere: The completely newly developed Audi R15 TDI sports prototype should make its debut on 21 March 2009 during the 12-hour race at Sebring, Florida (USA). This international sportscar classic, which should be contested by Audi Sport Team Joest, is traditionally regarded as excellent preparation and final test-race for the 24 Hours of Le Mans (France). At the same time, the race at Sebring with its special demands made of man and machine guarantees excellent motorsport.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/5/08 2:21 p.m.

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
12/5/08 2:32 p.m.

The only bright side of this is that now the competition has a shot at the championship with Audi gone. It will be weird to see an ALMS race with no Audis.

gubby
gubby New Reader
12/5/08 5:41 p.m.

/\ /\ Yes, IMSA will have to re-name the series now, (was it not the Audi Le Mans Series?)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/5/08 7:28 p.m.

wow thats surprising, wonder if there will be a spike in privateer efforts now

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/5/08 7:49 p.m.

Dont worry boys, it seems that Nascar is safe and now you (and me and all of us) may get to foot the bill.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/5/08 7:56 p.m.

We had that exact discussion at lunch today, except it was more along the lines of "I wonder if NASCAR is berkeleyed?" If the automakers don't get the money, they'll either go away or end up a mere shadow of themselves. If they do get the money, there are likely to be many strings attached, one of which might limit marketing.

Motorsports in general (at the corporate level) may be in for a long haul at this point. F1, NASCAR, ALMS...

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/5/08 8:34 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: We had that exact discussion at lunch today, except it was more along the lines of "I wonder if NASCAR is berkeleyed?" If the automakers don't get the money, they'll either go away or end up a mere shadow of themselves. If they do get the money, there are likely to be many strings attached, one of which might limit marketing. Motorsports in general (at the corporate level) may be in for a long haul at this point. F1, NASCAR, ALMS...

NASCAR becomes all Toyota, now that'd be a kicker.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/6/08 10:28 a.m.

Does anyone else think these major automotive sports need to take a step back to their roots?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/6/08 10:32 a.m.

damnit now i have to cheer for the peugot diesel..

compression ignition ftw

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
12/6/08 1:09 p.m.

funny that you mention marketing. one of the windbag congressberkeleys (some broad from wiscansin) was busting balls about the lack of marketing by the big 3.

YaNi
YaNi New Reader
12/6/08 4:02 p.m.
ignorant wrote: damnit now i have to cheer for the peugot diesel.. compression ignition ftw

Never! I'll never root for the French.

Have you guys seen Mazda's new closed cockpit prototype?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/6/08 9:05 p.m.
YaNi wrote:
ignorant wrote: damnit now i have to cheer for the peugot diesel.. compression ignition ftw
Never! I'll never root for the French. Have you guys seen Mazda's new closed cockpit prototype?

Dyson/Mazda are expected to announce a partnership for the ALMS at the PRI show here in O-town next weekend!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/6/08 10:23 p.m.
YaNi wrote:
Never! I'll never root for the French. Have you guys seen Mazda's new closed cockpit prototype?

closed cockpits are for those who were extras in "the birdcage"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5CwR5GAx6RV5hf4BuRWadRILck9hQf5tTjU8XzdqgBsirFTG3kkdCMIVuilhboxa