1 2
jpnovak
jpnovak None
9/12/11 9:24 p.m.

This is my first post. I have been a subscriber for about 5 years but never spent much time here to post.

Lots of great reading though...

So I am towing from TX starting Wed Oct 5. .

I am bringing this...

And its powered by this...

It has been almost 2 years in the making and its a solo build. It will eventually end up as a track car to replace my early 911.

Let the fun begin.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
9/12/11 9:27 p.m.

Pictures didn't work!

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
9/12/11 9:28 p.m.

I can't get the picture to show up...

Any tricks to posting images here? Surely, I have a syntax error.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/12/11 9:30 p.m.
jpnovak wrote: I can't get the picture to show up... Any tricks to posting images here? Surely, I have a syntax error.

Click on the little camera and insert the link there.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
9/12/11 9:31 p.m.

You need to host them on a hosting site (photobucket or similar) then click the little camera icon above the post box and paste in the html link to the image.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/12/11 9:34 p.m.

Can't wait to see the pictures, so get with the program.

Welcome to the madness.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
9/12/11 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Fixed. I used the syntax under the "guide". this has been updated with the camera icon.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/12/11 9:35 p.m.

Pictures up. Welcome.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/12/11 9:37 p.m.

That ought to scoot. Good luck at the challenge. I would love to make it myself, but it isn't in the cards for this year.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/13/11 12:44 a.m.

thumbs up!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
9/13/11 12:53 a.m.

Welcome and good luck!

stan
stan SuperDork
9/13/11 6:27 a.m.

Welcome!

Any newer pictures or would that ruin the surprise....?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
9/13/11 6:59 a.m.

Very cool! Good luck next month- hope you get a few min to debug the car prior to the challenge. I think the average debug time is about 2min prior to the challenge.

Basically, the car runs to get on the trailer....

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/13/11 7:28 a.m.

super excited - a nice, swapped, ready for action 914 is on my bucket list! anxiously awaiting updates!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
9/13/11 7:47 a.m.

I am not a fan of the stock 914, but I always saw it as the perfect platform for fun flat-4 turbo or flat 6 goodness. Can't wait to see the build thread.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
9/13/11 7:51 a.m.

There will be a full build thread after the Challenge. I have to leave some of the competitors guessing...

yes, the 914-Suby swap was on my long time list. My wife gave me the go-ahead when I found the roller locally for cheap. It had been sitting for 9 years under a tarp in the backyard under an old Oak Tree.

seriously, it was stuck in the mud under a tree with flat tires.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
9/13/11 11:45 a.m.

Cool...another tiny, mid engine, turbo 4 tin can to play with!

Bryce

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
9/13/11 1:18 p.m.

Did you use the Subaru trans or stick with the 901?

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
9/13/11 2:49 p.m.

Subaru trans. Adapter plate for the 901 would have easily put me way over budget.

I made my own AWD to 2WD adapters.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104513&hl=diy+bremar

I welded custom axles to mount the Suby trans.

Funny thing is that I have never driven this car except steering it when we dragged it onto the trailer.

The motor does run. Still working out the hydraulic clutch and fine-tuning the cable shifter setup.

bluej
bluej Dork
9/13/11 8:03 p.m.

i like your style

PS122
PS122 Reader
9/13/11 8:19 p.m.
jpnovak said: First Post - First Challenge Car

Excellent way to start! Very impressive.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
9/26/11 11:03 a.m.

9 days till tow date.

The car actually moved under its own power for the first time in 10-11 years.

Woo Hoo! Time to nut/bolt and attempt to sort the car.

I am stoked to be heading to the event.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
7/19/13 1:20 p.m.

I thought I would update this thread. Its only a few years old.

If anyone caught the issue of the Mag I was the smallest photo in the article about the $2011 challenge. I finished Dead F'n Last (DFL). Funny. My only goal was to not be DFL. I guess I did not do a good job of achieving my goal. So...

The car blew the motor at the event before I was able to post a time in the AX. Let's count how many bearings it spun. Too many, the engine locked up it was so bad.

The car sat for more than a year. Eventually sometime around Christmas last year I pulled the car in the garage and started looking into the problem. Catastrophic oil failure due to a pushed in oil pan and cracked oil pickup. Basically, at high rpm it cavitated and starved for oil. No life blood. No run!

I did pick up a new engine on CL. It was cheap and local. In fact, cheaper than the original engine and this means I freed up some money for a few suspension goodies. (This means I can replace the blown shocks). Eventually, the engine was installed and running. I really like the car so I finally titled it and got tags. The car now lives and still wears its faded, peeling sticker livery. At least I can drive and sort it out. Maybe if I can find the time I will tow back to FL and have another run. In the mean time, I will just drive and enjoy the relatively cool summer we are having in Austin.

I managed to grab a few videos today. The car is running well now. I am currently at 13psi. Time to start turning up the boost. Though I am not sure how much more these small turbos can crank out. Oh, did I mention the new motor is a JDM ej20 TT?

Dirty Penny Drives again

Dirty Penny Drives again Part 2

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
7/19/13 1:34 p.m.

Needs pics! I can't watch your videos here at work.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/19/13 4:17 p.m.

Sweet! I have he same engine (the price of the twin turbos is crazy cheap). Stuffed in the back of a fiat 850!

What are you doing for a computer?
Any idea on the hp?

My brother works at a nice shop in Austin and I Dragging mine down in a few months to dyno it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OrCPRYK5GlxBiM61NFrTEd7EpFflkwhQRAF00DlfVGZ4ONkiCMKXQvBlcR3NRaS6