keethrax
keethrax Dork
5/6/18 9:34 a.m.

Finally getting around to actually using Turo to rent a car after confirming my car insurance specifically covers Turo rentals. We'll need a car for a few days as part of a longer trip to Colorado. 

I had originally been filtering by manual transmission, as that gets you a lot of cars that are either more interesting and/or cheaper. But my wife's left hip is bothering her and some clutch pedals are problematic. Her Spark and my Miata ar OK, the Mazdaspeed in the garage is not.  So we broadened the search and ended up "settling" for a 2009 M3 (4 door) with paddles instead of a clutch pedal. It'll suck down quite a bit more gas than the other options we were looking at (some of the subaru/scion twins, a classic mini, etc)   but should still be fun. 

The last time we took an "interesting" car to Colorado, I lost the clutch in our '86 MR2 on 4th of July weekend in the 100+ degree parking lot that was I-70 headed uphill out of Denver. A news crew stopped to interview us and asked us to be "looking at the engine" because it would be a better shot.  They were a bit puzzled when we went around to the back of the car. I suspect that ruined the shot and we probably didn't actually make the news.  Towed it to a dealer (only people open on that holiday weekend Saturday) and the service writer said "One of those was the first car I ever worked on when I got hired here as a mechanic." 

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/6/18 9:51 a.m.

My buddy has been renting out his F-150 via Turo. It's actually only been renting to people who wanted a 6 passenger vehicle not to use is for truck things

keethrax
keethrax Dork
6/22/18 2:35 p.m.

Just got back from our trip. Having an M3 to go up and down the mountains (and through the tunnels on I-70) sure made the trip more fun. And the cost was very, very reasonable. We paid ~$10-15 a day more than the low end rental cars (though admittedly gas expenses were a bit higher too...) As a bonus, we got to meet a fellow car guy and see his new race prepped BRZ when we were getting the M3 back to him. 

Looking forward to using Turo again on a future trip.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/22/18 3:57 p.m.

Our sales manager rented a bmw in Atlanta through turo and got charged $600 on his cc for wheel scratches that were there when he picked it up. He's still fighting it. Hope you have a better experience. 

keethrax
keethrax Dork
6/23/18 6:02 p.m.

We took a bunch of pictures just in case. But no hassles at all. 

The car was a "retired" track day toy, so it wasn't exactly pristine to begin with, there had cleary been an off or two along the way; and I didn't want thy guy to claim I had done any of the things that were there when we got it. 

Got pics of the wheels individually specifically from reading a similar comment (maybe it was even you, not sure)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Y7G2bAKxcIieb8EEOKLk1Y1aR3OvVVbUS6fIhPpewGNci4TXxK7aJdX2Rl8QiGV