1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
9/10/10 6:38 a.m.

Pre589 - If I was looking for a DD truck, you're absolutely correct. BUt I'm looking to build a track rat.

I found a fairly active Courier forum and have managed to learn a few things. As much as I like the looks of the early models, The post-'77 trucks have some advantages:

1. Slightly longer cab. At 6 foot+, I probably need the extra inches to fit in a good race seat and cage.

2. 77 and later couriers were available with the 2.3L and a 5 speed - meaning that aturbo conversion ala Tbird or SVO stang backed by a T5 is a fairly easy thing to do - lots of go without much weight gain. Also, the possibility of wedging in a Tbird IRS comes to mind....

So...if I get around to doing this, I think the optimal starting point would be a '77+ 2.3L 5spd short bed truck.

The front susp is a double wishbone setup, but Mustang II is a popular swap.

EDIT: And the bullet numbering still doesn't work.....

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
9/10/10 7:34 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks: Your all over it.

Pain in the butt to get it through town. "460" is what the 385-series engines displacement started out at. This guy had put alot of work into this truck. He raced it at Bristol a few times. I don't know the results, it has been a few years (Like 18.)

richardearlritter
richardearlritter
11/28/10 8:39 a.m.

there is a very cheap courier/b2000over on ebay right now

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/28/10 9:29 a.m.

I had a 'big block' (1800cc ) 1974 Courier. Bought it for $100 with the motor disassembled (timing chain tensioner came apart), rebuilt the motor and drove the crap out of it for a few years then traded it towards my GTi (in retrospect, not a good decision).

It was slow, the manual 4 wheel drum brakes were not exactly confidence inspiring, it was about as comfortable inside as a monk's cell but without the ambience. Having said that, it was a great cheap to operate little truck which never let me down (well, it did twice but that was my fault) and got great gas mileage. It was NOT a great handler, though.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
11/28/10 11:14 a.m.

Ever hear of Pineapple Racing????

Rob Golden the owner has a very cool little 70's rotary pick up. His license is "3-ROTOR"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p50yyOLcU8PQH0uZ3YVuOELqotyBHbXYjBl6U0MD6trDBBjfD8qjh3P3swkliK0x