loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
6/30/24 10:37 a.m.

WOW! That was exciting. Max is showing the same douchbaggery he showed in 2021 when somebody actually brings the fight to him and thankfully the stewards see it, too and gave him a penalty. Lando is firm but fair in his fights, which is a quality I always admired in Lewis. I think the warm relationship between Max and Lando is probably going to cool now. Happy to see a different group on the podium. One week wait until the next one!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/30/24 10:37 a.m.

Desperation and aggressiveness are a dangerous combination.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/30/24 10:38 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Truth.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
6/30/24 10:39 a.m.

I saw two distinct points of contact. The first one, Max was slowly drifting left under braking but gave plenty of room. Lando's right rear got punctured by Max's rear diffuser. Then they're both upset by the initial contact, Max bumped out left and they hit again and both went off track. Just a complete mess of poor race craft.

Was it moving under braking? Yeah probably...but they were both racing like shiny happy people up to that point and it was going to happen no matter what. Norris should have had a track limits penalty the lap before anyway and was dive-bombing all over the place. They could have both DNF'ed and I would have felt like it was justified for both of them.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/30/24 10:48 a.m.

Still, most interesting F1 season in a long time.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/30/24 10:53 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Other then maybe a track limit for Lando,since they allow the entire car off track before calling the last mm kind of a mute point imo,he raced fair.

The lap before when he sent it up the inside he was ahead at the apex but kept all 4 wheels inside the white line while Max booted it 10 car widths off track and retook the lead.

In short he perfectly Maxed Max who then bitched about it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
6/30/24 11:02 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Lando was dive-bombing worse than 2022 Russell and there was nothing fair or sportsmanlike about it. They both berkeleyed around, they both found out.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
6/30/24 11:14 a.m.

Sadly, the rules with F1 encourage it and Max has taken full advantage of that in the past. As long as you are ahead by the apex (wherever that is when you are barreling in up the inside) the corner is yours.So based on that, send it, be ahead by the apex and then the other car needs to magically disappear or go off track provided you stay on track. I'm not a fan but that is where we are at until somebody decides to change it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/30/24 11:19 a.m.

Well, all this fun was caused by RB not keeping a fresh set of tires for the last stint, and then having a poor pit stop.

Almost as if they hired some Ferrari strategy guys from a couple of years ago.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/30/24 11:23 a.m.

The part I hope the come down hard on Max for is trying to run Lando off the track after the incident when he is limping his car back to the pits and Lando was trying to get by. An unpredictable slow speed incident between them with other cars coming by at full song is just not acceptable. That could get people seriously hurt. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/30/24 11:25 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Agree 100%

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/30/24 11:42 a.m.

RacingNews 365 reports Max got 2 penalty points on his superlicense.  I don't think i've ever seen them penalize him like that before.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/24 11:45 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Quantify "a long time". 2021 was only three years ago and that sure wasn't boring. 2020 was really interesting with all the new tracks. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/24 11:45 a.m.

Max bitching about dive bombing on the radio was hilarious. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/30/24 11:49 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Feedyurhed said:

Quantify "a long time". 2021 was only three years ago. 2020 was really interesting with all the new tracks. 

It's been a long time since I haven't had to put a sticky note over P1 on the TV, so I could focus on the race for second.

3 full seasons is a long time.  At least Merc had two drivers pushing each other, and a few crashes and engine failures to vary the results.  I was legitimately concerned Max would sweep the season every year.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/30/24 12:07 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The part I hope the come down hard on Max for is trying to run Lando off the track after the incident when he is limping his car back to the pits and Lando was trying to get by. An unpredictable slow speed incident between them with other cars coming by at full song is just not acceptable. That could get people seriously hurt. 

I rewound it and watching again it doesn't look as bad knowing that the Mclaren already has the rear wheel moving around and there is an Alpine going around the outside. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/30/24 12:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:
Feedyurhed said:

Quantify "a long time". 2021 was only three years ago. 2020 was really interesting with all the new tracks. 

It's been a long time since I haven't had to put a sticky note over P1 on the TV, so I could focus on the race for second.

3 full seasons is a long time.  At least Merc had two drivers pushing each other, and a few crashes and engine failures to vary the results.  I was legitimately concerned Max would sweep the season every year.

Ha,Yes, this. That's what I meant.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/24 12:21 p.m.

I agree that this season is more interesting than the last two :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/24 1:05 p.m.
johndej said:
dean1484 said:

I rewound it and watching again it doesn't look as bad knowing that the Mclaren already has the rear wheel moving around and there is an Alpine going around the outside. 

There's no way Max could have known Lando's tire was damaged. The McLaren was still going at race pace. It was a spiteful, dangerous move.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/30/24 1:07 p.m.

And how about the HAAS? Doing better every race this season......

Alpine coming from dead last at the start of the season to now finishing in the points?

Aston has absolutely fallen off the truck, haven't they? They really haven't looked solid since the middle of last season.

Can't believe LeClerc finished even as high as 11th, let alone getting into the points as the team predicted after the first lap shunt and spending the bulk of the race in 17th or 18th.

Lots going on in this race. Also interesting to see the effect the gravel traps had on track limit events this race.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/30/24 1:24 p.m.
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/30/24 3:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
johndej said:
dean1484 said:

There's no way Max could have known Lando's tire was damaged. The McLaren was still going at race pace. It was a spiteful, dangerous move.

The should start a new award called douce of the day and award it to Max. Not for moving in the brake zone but for blocking Norris with a wounded car.

If I were the stewards I would have disqualified him on the spot for that move........not OK.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/30/24 7:59 p.m.

Well, norris tried Max's moves from 2021. At least we all learned how to defend from Max's moves now!  Just move back and forth when defending.  If that doesn't prove successful, just move til you actually make contact.  (Keep in mind this only works if you are ahead in the championship).

I don't like the wh8n8ng from both of them.

I also don't like the stupid passing rules. They need to fix the rules so you can't send a hail Mary, be ahead at apex, and just shove the other person off.  It's bullE36 M3. However, max won a championship like that, so i guess that is the bed that is made.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/30/24 8:58 p.m.

Finally got to see the replay.  So Lando tried some inside moves, so what?  He didn't hit max, and when he went off after making the pass, he gave it back. 

Max went off the track to hold an advantage, which is wrong. He could have backed off and tried to over/under a pass. But no, go off, hold the position. How that didn't get fixed is beyond me.  Then when Lando tries a very safe, outside, move, max drives into him. Are you kidding me?  How many time is max allowed to move under breaking?  

He's fast, but he's not capable of actually racing someone. So I'm discounting all of his championships of being in a faster car and not having to fairly race another driver. What a hack.  Didn't hear horners reaction, but they are a perfect pair. 

One common thread with maxs accidents is max. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/30/24 9:16 p.m.

Horner layed ALL the blame on Lando.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pJffJIopMhwpjBeeF4ROiUz8qug9QUtdOrKNXZBUzRbrOMz6VpCtzeN6MK6IwZ50