alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/24 10:33 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

Neither is the weather. Went from ok to out due to a drying track. But George got caught in that too???  What's up with that?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/24 10:58 a.m.

A little close for comfort for Mercedes to get into Q3.  Car still has a way to go to really challege all the time at the front, apparently.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/20/24 11:10 a.m.

And now Yuki showing he might not want to step up either, Danny Ric back to a top seat? That'd be wild.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/24 11:14 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

Something was odd about that accident- he looked like the car was airborne, or at least very listing as he crossed the curb.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/24 11:16 a.m.

And it now looks that RBR has an issue with Max's car- he's not coming back out for the remaining time.  As if there's something wrong with the car??

Will be an interesting 2 min.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/24 11:26 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

So it very much was not interesting. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
7/20/24 11:34 a.m.

Red bull said they weren't sending max back out because they couldn't improve the time on used tires.

I am stoked for a mclaren front row!  Yay!

I hope mclaren wins this race tomorrow.  Let's see if mclaren steps up their strategy higher than Ferrari. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/20/24 4:13 p.m.

Yuki must've caught the floor plank on the curbing

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/20/24 4:45 p.m.

Opening day 2023, dead last.  Halfway through the season 2024, front row, fairly likely to win. Crazy.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/20/24 5:12 p.m.

Poor strategy on Mercedes for George, didn't give him enough gas to finish qually......

Should be a fun race, poor Checo is trying really hard to retire, and not just from this race! 

Sad to see the HAAS so far down, but who knows, if the weather gets squirrely enough, anything can happen!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 8:51 a.m.

Stressful pre race for Lando and McLaren- hopefully they managed to swap out the problem with the electronic throttle. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 9:24 a.m.

I think Lando needed to pay more attention to Max on the start.  He compromised himself a few different ways, there.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/21/24 9:39 a.m.

Lando was too busy jumping out of the racing line to cut off his own teammate.

Even so, Max was delusional to think he deserved to be ahead after that egregious off.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/24 10:02 a.m.

If I was Max's race engineer today, I'd unplug my headset. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/21/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Bro is MAD today. Apparently he stayed up all night sim racing, then woke up early and did another sim race, and now he has his "real" race. I don't think RB is totally botching strategy, but Mercedes and Ferrari are making all the right calls and it's paying off.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/21/24 10:24 a.m.

McLaren asking for the swap at this point in the race is suuuuper awkward.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/21/24 10:26 a.m.

Yeah...what was McLaren thinking by pitting Lando first? Now they expect Piastri to catch him, after the self-undercut, in dirty air? They literally just stole Piastri's first win for no rational reason, unless it's a long term strategy to make Lando WDC.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/21/24 10:32 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Yeah...what was McLaren thinking by pitting Lando first? Now they expect Piastri to catch him, after the self-undercut, in dirty air? They literally just stole Piastri's first win for no rational reason, unless it's a long term strategy to make Lando WDC.

I think the realized they shot themselves in the foot so they are asking Lando to drop an anchor and shoot himself in the foot for them. That sucks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/24 10:34 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Bro is MAD today. Apparently he stayed up all night sim racing, then woke up early and did another sim race, and now he has his "real" race. I don't think RB is totally botching strategy, but Mercedes and Ferrari are making all the right calls and it's paying off.

The radio call after Max hit Hamilton was great. "Just shut up, Max, we don't want to hear it" 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
7/21/24 10:34 a.m.

Oh boy. Spicy radio traffic!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 10:35 a.m.

We need Jimmy Spencer's "Radio Sweetheart" segment.

Lotsa hard feelings caused by lotsa stupid pit decisions.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/21/24 10:36 a.m.

All this radio drama is amazing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 10:37 a.m.

Mclaren has to update their strategy from "How do we scrounge a point" to "Whats the best way to win this race?"  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/21/24 10:38 a.m.

I wouldn't give the place back if I were Norris. It's unnecessary risk for the team to lose that time buffer. Not his fault they berkeleyed up the stop order.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/21/24 10:38 a.m.

Lando left it to the last didn't he...  As I live and breathe, somebody finally told Max to STFU.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYugb4ckqELAEly5m0wx5en78N4CYdaiA19GzuOa9pSntPR12xQaYANNPajoCBzA