DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/26/24 5:45 p.m.

So, Yuki takes a 60 grid position penalty....that oughta finish off his season.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/26/24 6:24 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to alfadriver :

We can hope be gets boxed in but Max has been super strong on the initial start all season....he could get a few on the run to the turn 1 hair pin and with that huge paved run off he'll try and get the rest lol.

Also, there aren't a lot of backmarkers who will be willing to defend the divebomb, since "their race isn't with Max". There are only about 3-4 drivers on the grid who won't automatically give way to him.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/26/24 8:53 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

So, Yuki takes a 60 grid position penalty....that oughta finish off his season.

If they carried over because they could not be served, sure.  But this is the perfect track to take a 60 spot penalty.  It will end up being 5-10 and meaningless.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
7/26/24 9:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to alfadriver :

We can hope be gets boxed in but Max has been super strong on the initial start all season....he could get a few on the run to the turn 1 hair pin and with that huge paved run off he'll try and get the rest lol.

Also, there aren't a lot of backmarkers who will be willing to defend the divebomb, since "their race isn't with Max". There are only about 3-4 drivers on the grid who won't automatically give way to him.

Perez, Hamilton, norris.  Sure Perez won't ruin his race, but Lewis or Lando might...  

I can hope!

I just want people to race fairly cleanly.  No dive bombing (if they Stay on track, I'm fine with it).  No moving under braking. 

No runoff to pass the car you are racing...

Gosh, I would love half the field to stay up late doing a digital race!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/26/24 10:15 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Perez would never fight, he knows what's good for him. Norris, Lewis, maybe Charles - and Alonso of course. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/26/24 10:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Tell Ocon he's in an RB this weekend and he'll target lock Max even if it has to happen when he's being lapped.

Too bad Magnuson will be starting behind Max even with the grid drop,he's always up for a good defense.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/27/24 11:05 a.m.

Not sure how to extrapolate the speeds of the rain.  RBR was way out in front, for the most part, making one wonder if they have more downforce and are hoping their super DRS will work or not.  Perez finally did well, and almost took the actual pole for the race, since Max takes 10 grid spots due to the rule loophole.

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
7/27/24 11:19 a.m.

Perez did well relative to the other teams, still way off of verstappen

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/27/24 1:12 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

Perez did well relative to the other teams, still way off of verstappen

That also makes me think they are running a lot of downforce.  Which is great when you are driving in front, but not as much when you need to pass down the straights.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
7/27/24 1:28 p.m.

Doesn't RB have a new wing package for Spa? I thought i read something about new top element in rear wing assembly.  They may know something about how it will perform in the dry at top speed.   You could visibly see the flexing on the Mercs.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
7/27/24 1:37 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

F1TV commentators said they're running a higher downforce package than the other teams, so a wet qualy is best case scenario. Betting on DRS to help them keep up on the straights

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/27/24 11:10 p.m.

RBR has usually had top class aero efficiency. They also probably are running this new engine a little harder this weekend to ensure a comeback run by Max. Still the McLaren may win on tire wear. It seems some of the talk is that the resurfacing of SPA has resulted in more than expected degradation. Luckily everyone has lots of new slicks. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/24 9:11 a.m.

Lewis ate his Wheaties this morning.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/24 9:34 a.m.

And, it seems that Max was optimized for rain, at this point.  I had him top three by 1/3 race distance, not 7th.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/24 9:53 a.m.

I'm enjoying the strategy today.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/24 10:26 a.m.

Brilliant race by George.  Held the tires long enough to keep Lewis behind him.  Barely winning is still winning.  Was worried about Piastri at the end until the last lap.  Great race.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
7/28/24 10:28 a.m.

Fantastic race. Good on you, George!! :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/24 10:39 a.m.

If anybody says they saw that result coming, I'm going to call them a liar.  

George had amazing drive out of the corners at the end.  I was sure Lewis would just eat him alive once he got DRS.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/28/24 10:40 a.m.

That was a great race.  Great to see good racing at the front of the field.  

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
7/28/24 11:08 a.m.

That top three could have gone in pretty much any order at the end there.

Norris keeps fumbling when it counts, I think long term piastri will be the clear number 1 driver. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/24 11:48 a.m.

I guess the indicator that Lewis would have problems was that Lando could not get by Max.  Too bad for Lando that he could not get turn 1 very good against max- but it was the exact same issue that Lewis had.  

But McLaren still closed ground.

Glad the indicators of RBR's speed were reasonably accurate in the race- they were nowhere.  Perez, especially.  Go from 2nd on the grid to finishing so far back you could take an extra pit just to get fastest lap.  

edit- watched the start replay- Lando seemed to have enough space to not go on the gravel.  Not sure why he did....  That would have changed the race completion completely.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/28/24 12:33 p.m.

Russell at risk of DQ? Apparently they were found to be under weight post race. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/28/24 12:59 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

That will suck if the stewards DQ him, but rules are rules.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/24 1:13 p.m.

Confirmed by F1 https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/breaking-russell-disqualified-from-belgian-grand-prix-for-underweight-car-as.2NIuo4cHgOl1LgplIkGG5D

Sucks for George- that was an epic drive.  As much as I'm a Hamilton fan, George should have gotten DoD for that. Toto has some serious egg on his face for that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/24 1:17 p.m.

That seems like a pretty basic failure.  I wonder where the weight went?  Tires being thinner from the one stopper plank wear, or just somebody did some bad math?    I mean, it's bad math no matter where you go with it, but still.

Lewis wins #105!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1SYcElKRNBbAHuzb5A9Inggr08i7vGCPiQtvotMNdRIkQ1i29T8tNYMdyklZQ4ce