cb
cb
5/26/09 10:59 p.m.

bought a fuel cool can. should it be installed before or after the filter.. any help would be great..

thanks cb

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/26/09 11:19 p.m.

Its being used with a carburetor right? mount it as close as possible to the carb regardless of where the filter is.

Is there any verifiable proof that these things actualy do any thing? I heard tales of F1 and Indy car teams refrigerating fuel cans along the pit wall area back in the days of exotic secret formula fuels; supposedly to keep the fuel as dense as possible.

cb
cb New Reader
5/26/09 11:23 p.m.

yes carb application.. my brother swore by them on his drag car when i was a kid.. and it was cheap.. 17.00 bucks on ebay so nothin really to loose by trying..

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
5/26/09 11:35 p.m.

I think effectiveness in practice depends on 3 things:

1. how large a volume of fuel will it hold
  2. how thirsty is your engine
  3. how close you can locate it to the carb(s)/fuel rail

If it holds a 1/4 gallon(just throwing that figure out there), how fast does your engine use that while running at speed?

In theory it is just like a CAI - the denser the fuel/air the more power produced.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
5/27/09 6:12 a.m.

They are worth .2 sec on a drag car if you use a water / alky and dry ice combo. Did you get plastic or steel can? I'm fond of the steel units wraped in cork i feel they distribut the cold better.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/27/09 9:39 a.m.

a friend of mine built one of his own by coiling the fuel lines inside of an insulated coffee can. then, before the car rolled up to the line, he would pop some dry ice inside, I guess it worked...

cb
cb New Reader
5/27/09 9:58 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: They are worth .2 sec on a drag car if you use a water / alky and dry ice combo. Did you get plastic or steel can? I'm fond of the steel units wraped in cork i feel they distribut the cold better.

its an aluminum one with no wrapping.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
5/27/09 2:50 p.m.

I remember they used to sell "cooling rods" for water cooled PCs, basically a tube-shaped heatsink - the idea was to act as mini-radiators to shed heat between components. I wonder if something like that could be used...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1FkstYAOeZh2me664Wvey0YFey1XwRaiVHWPbgd5yZ69V6IvKX6bWhhvbUfr814