1 2
mw
mw New Reader
10/21/08 2:17 p.m.

I am looking for a vehicle which can tow 2200lbs and would still be fun to drive and reasonably fuel efficient. I don't know if this exists or not but any suggestions you could reccomend would be great. <$10k. (I already have a miata with a trailer hitch, but I don't think I should be towing 2200lbs with it) Can a subaru tow that? Any other suggestions? vehicle would become a year round daily driver.

ChrisTaylor
ChrisTaylor New Reader
10/21/08 2:19 p.m.

My '97 F450 with a 15k capacity is certainly "interesting" to drive.

It's also fun to get right on the rear bumper of somebody that just cut in front of you without speeding up (or driving 10 below). When all they see is bumper (the Super Duty's have a 6-9" higher rideheight) they mash on that gas pedal like nobody's business.

mw
mw New Reader
10/21/08 2:30 p.m.

I doubt the f450 would be considered reasonably fuel efficient. Also, I forgot to add that it must have a back seat. (for the impending baby)

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
10/21/08 2:36 p.m.

Define fun to drive. Subaru wrx is rated to 3000 I believe.

a nice land rover discovery or range rover is "fun to drive" off road...and can be had for cheap, but expect to have to do a lot of routine maint.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
10/21/08 2:55 p.m.
mw wrote: I doubt the f450 would be considered reasonably fuel efficient. Also, I forgot to add that it must have a back seat. (for the impending baby)

What do you consider reasonably fuel efficient? I didn't think most Subarus were very efficient. My 3500 Dodge dually, (edit for also having A fullsize rear seat), gets 20MPG and is a hoot to drive, but sounds like you'd prefer to have something smaller.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/21/08 2:56 p.m.

subaru legacy (wagon or sedan)

decently fun, plenty of baby capacity (especially with the wagon) and room for upgrades if desired.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
10/21/08 3:04 p.m.

Where's the P71 crowd???

Those can be fun.

A buddy of mine used to tow with his '88 Mustang- it was at least a 3000lb package. He installed air shocks in the rear to help with the loading.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
10/21/08 3:08 p.m.

I have yet to tow anything with my P71, but it's fun to drive. :) I do tow with my wife's Trailblazer. It is not that much fun to drive.

mw
mw New Reader
10/21/08 3:17 p.m.

I currently have a miata and a rwd MPV. I need to replace both of them with one vehicle. 25mpg would be ideal, but I don't know if it's possible.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
10/21/08 3:32 p.m.

I just put a 4000lb reciever on my P71, but haven't done the wiring yet so I can't say with authority.

Should be good?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/21/08 3:35 p.m.

If it weren't for the need of a backseat, I'd (as in me, personally) look for an early ford Lightning. Those were cool! Sporty handling and a bit of muscle.

For the backseat needs, definitely look into a "cop car" or "Taxi Cab." They can be made to tow a moderate amount with a few upgrades like transmission coolers suspension helpers (airbags and such). Look at civilian models too (rather than only looking for the cop or taxi equipped packages) and build your own...

Clem

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
10/21/08 3:48 p.m.

I don't know what the non-cop crown vics come with, but I've got big assed 4 wheel disc brakes and oil and tranny coolers from the factory. And I'm pretty sure my springs are stiffer too.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
10/21/08 3:49 p.m.

I believe many of the the Audi's are rated to around 2-3000lbs. I know my dad loves his 98 Avant. The V6 is nice and smooth, but the turbo of course has more upgrade pontential. Either way, suspension pieces, etc are available. BTW, he bought his 98 white A4 Avant V6 for around 10K.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/21/08 3:53 p.m.

buick roadmaster had something close to 5k lbs capacity IIRC...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
10/21/08 3:54 p.m.

Subaru Forrester with STi shocks and springs.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
10/21/08 4:54 p.m.

I've towed a few things with my Volvo and it didn't seem to mind. I'm pretty sure most of them are rated around 3300lbs capacity.

I think they are pretty fun in a weird, quirky sort of way. Plus, if you've never driven an old brick, you'll be amazed at how well they make U-turns...the wheels almost go sideways. Yeah and turbos are fun too.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
10/21/08 5:13 p.m.
the wheels almost go sideways. Yeah and turbos are fun too.

More like "the turbo models go... MASSIVELY SIDEWAYS"

iceracer
iceracer Reader
10/21/08 5:54 p.m.

My Jeep Liberty got 13.5 mpg towing 3900 lbs. to Summit Point and back. Fairly comfortable ride. Fun to drive

mtn
mtn Dork
10/21/08 6:18 p.m.

Roadmonster could be set up with a 5000 lb towing package. Or for a cooler version of it, go for the Cadillac Fleetwood.

We towed a boat ~2000lbs with a Crown Vic, the trans had a little trouble on really steep and wet ramps, but nothing too bad. Dads vote for most fun tow vehicle was his ML430. He said it was fast and could handle really well, but the wheelbase was too short. And it was one of the worst cars reliability-wise he has ever owned.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
10/21/08 6:23 p.m.

i drove a rodmaster wagon, it was not in any way what i would call fun to drive, unless your idea of fun is sitting in a recliner watching tv. A subaru legacy (96 outback) will get 28 mpg on the freeway (if you arent towing anything/carring heavy things).

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
10/21/08 6:29 p.m.

Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/21/08 6:36 p.m.

Legacy GT or whatever the modern equivalent is.

If it can't tow 2200lb then it should. Hell, a New Beetle is rated to tow something like 3000 or 4000 pounds in Europe.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/21/08 6:43 p.m.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=243969576&dealer_id=1392798&car_year=1993&model=BUICKROAD&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1993&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=BUICK&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=&end_year=1996&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=78

This would be about the sweetest tow rig for racing... take the heavy gear they put in the back out and you have MONSTER storage capacity.. (plus being the roadmaster wagon with LT1, you could tow a reasonable car/trailer with it...)

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/21/08 6:51 p.m.

You could also sleep/camp at the track in The Hearse.

P71
P71 Reader
10/21/08 8:04 p.m.

P71! 25MPG on 87 swill is easy on the highway, cruise all day at 80 with the A/C on and still get that. Fun to drive (HPDE, autocross, drag, take your pick) and setup for towing from the factory (heavy duty trans, trans cooler, oil cooler, heavy duty U-joints/driveline, power steering cooler, huge radiator, massive sway bars, big ole 4-wheel-discs, etc). And as an added bonus really nice ones are under half of your budget so you can keep the Miata!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7DwMikNlDiHBM9iZJdxD537M8LLTKxw9mGDqMbjZUvWBsvQfax9SAAFQvycAwndQ