1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/29/09 1:22 p.m.

I think there was a thread about this a while back. Speculation about which car is worth what and cars that have start appreciating in value, etc.

So anyway, holy crap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CRX-CRX-SI-HONDA-CRX-SI-ORIGIONAL-NEAR-MINT-SURVIVER-1986_W0QQitemZ170336301431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item27a8d5b177&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1308

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/29/09 2:37 p.m.

Wow.

That thing is hot. It's so odd to see one that hasn't been riced/rusted/wrecked.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
5/29/09 2:56 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote: Wow. That thing is hot. It's so odd to see one that hasn't been riced/rusted/wrecked.

or stolen

Will
Will Reader
5/29/09 3:15 p.m.

My dad is the original owner of a 90 CRX HF that still has under 50k on the odometer. It's red, 5-speed, totally stock and the only one I've ever seen with the optional 6-spoke swept alloys (they look similar to the Si wheels, but those have 7 spokes) and factory foglights. I doubt it will ever set Barrett Jackson records or anything but it's a cool little car and has to be somewhat rare with those options.

Techmonkey
Techmonkey New Reader
5/29/09 3:34 p.m.

My fist thought was "CRX Si" before I even clicked on this topic. I wonder what that will wind up going for. :)

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/29/09 4:09 p.m.

I'm typically not a big price flamer, but $5k seems whacky. Conneticut car = rust, whether or not it's been stored...and there's a difference between "stored" and "properly stored."

There's visible rust in the engine bay. I wonder if the guy put it on a lift. The "new muffler" and "serviced injection" both throw up red flags for me. I read that as "Muffler rusted out" and "the same fuel sat in the tank for 16 years."

Still a beautiful car, nonetheless. A $2,500 "buy it now" price would've been hard to resist.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/29/09 4:10 p.m.
Will wrote: My dad is the original owner of a 90 CRX HF that still has under 50k on the odometer. It's red, 5-speed, totally stock and the only one I've ever seen with the optional 6-spoke swept alloys (they look similar to the Si wheels, but those have 7 spokes) and factory foglights. I doubt it will ever set Barrett Jackson records or anything but it's a cool little car and has to be somewhat rare with those options.

dibs.

Will
Will Reader
5/29/09 4:26 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Will wrote: My dad is the original owner of a 90 CRX HF that still has under 50k on the odometer. It's red, 5-speed, totally stock and the only one I've ever seen with the optional 6-spoke swept alloys (they look similar to the Si wheels, but those have 7 spokes) and factory foglights. I doubt it will ever set Barrett Jackson records or anything but it's a cool little car and has to be somewhat rare with those options.
dibs.

And did I mention it's a totally rust free SoCal car?

TJ
TJ Reader
5/29/09 4:29 p.m.

miner damage....is that from a pick and shovel, dynamite, or something else?

Techmonkey
Techmonkey New Reader
5/29/09 4:32 p.m.

A while back there was a pristine 1988 CRX Si up for sale and circulating around the car forums. I think the asking price was something like $8K or $9K. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers it at that asking price. :) Don't know if it actually sold for that though.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
5/29/09 5:27 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260419096631&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ca%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D260419096631%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/29/09 7:38 p.m.

future classics... probably any BMW with an M.. older the model the more classic it will be..

and the Ti.. one of the few E36 cars that is hold value.

first gen Miata.

First Gen MR2

supra

Depending on how far back you want to go.. the Fiat 124 Spider and X are due to begin appreciating. They have been overlooked for their english competition for far too long

RossD
RossD Reader
5/29/09 8:23 p.m.

Is there a reason to believe that the XR4Ti will be a classic? -1st Gen SHO w/5 speed. -GTO and G8 GT -GMC's Typhoon and Syclone -GTPs? '70s Capris?

curtis73
curtis73 Reader
5/29/09 9:11 p.m.
TJ wrote: miner damage....is that from a pick and shovel, dynamite, or something else?

There are coal stains on the seats.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/30/09 8:20 a.m.
suprf1y wrote: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260419096631&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ca%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D260419096631%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Mmmmm. Daddy likee.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/30/09 8:37 a.m.
RossD wrote: Is there a reason to believe that the XR4Ti will be a classic? -1st Gen SHO w/5 speed. -GTO and G8 GT -GMC's Typhoon and Syclone -GTPs? '70s Capris?

the Xrt4i.. as much as I like it.. is probably doomed to be a niche vehicle. Not many people knew about them when new, and even fewer remember them.

the pitfalls of being an orphan

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
5/30/09 8:58 a.m.

I buy and sell vintage cars for a living and here's my .02 on what will always be collectible.

Any car that was popular when it was new, especially if said car became very inexpensive as "just a used car" and "all the good ones" got used up.

Before I start a big controversy, I am not saying that these are the only cars that will appreciate and become collectible.

That said, I think these cars will always have a following:

• Any manual transmission Miata

• Honda CRX

• 84-92 VW GTI (can you actually find a really nice one?)

• 1997-01 Honda Prelude (can you find one that's not lowered to the bump stops?)

• Porsche 944 (too cheap for too long - good ones are scarce)

• E36 BMW M3

• Any Toyota Supra

What do you guys think?

Will
Will Reader
5/30/09 9:14 a.m.

Some of the special edition Mustangs are naturals: Mach 1, Bullitt, Shelby GT, Terminator Cobra, 94-95 GTS, maybe even the SVO.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/30/09 11:31 a.m.

Clean Shelby Dodges are starting to bring a few bucks as well, and I lust for a clean CSX.

Brust
Brust Reader
5/30/09 11:53 a.m.

I just don't know what I'd do with that CRX..... too nice to modify. I don't even know how to drive something that is too nice to mod. Regardless, I'll bet we begin to see the a Moss Motors style restoration catalog for MR2's CRX's, Miata's etc. Wierd, but pretty neat. My '69 Midget was younger when I got it than a '90 Miata is now. I wonder if my son and I will be restoring a $300 miata or MR2 for his first car.

Oh, and as far as collectibles- I know they got a brief mention in the last GRM, but I'm thinking the S54 M coupe is going to be the GT-350 of our time. Just don't tell anyone, 'cause I'm on the hunt.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/30/09 1:39 p.m.
I just don't know what I'd do with that CRX

Store it for another ten years and sell it for 5 grand?

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/30/09 5:18 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
TJ wrote: miner damage....is that from a pick and shovel, dynamite, or something else?
There are coal stains on the seats.

I've been fixing up this damn CRX for months and all I have to show for it is black lung.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/30/09 6:05 p.m.
Will wrote: Some of the special edition Mustangs are naturals: Mach 1, Bullitt, Shelby GT, Terminator Cobra, 94-95 GTS, maybe even the SVO.

1993 mustang cobras, and all cobra R's are already collectors items (at least the 93 cobras in good condition. I have seen ones going for near $20k in stock low mileage condition)

i think any SVT in showroom condition gets treated as a collectable. I still wonder how time will treat saleens and roushs

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
5/31/09 12:32 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Clean Shelby Dodges are starting to bring a few bucks as well, and I lust for a clean CSX.

Yes, they are. Sold my 30k original mile '89 CSX to my friend, he's constantly asked to sell it. Took my '86 GLHS to the big Shelby Terlingua and Vegas meets with Team Shelby-very positively recieved. Also at our socal Cars&Coffee(the original, BTW), it had more people around it than the Ferraris and Porsches parked nearby.

[URL=http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glhsvegasjt4.jpg][/URL]

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/31/09 1:59 a.m.

The funny thing about turbo dodges is unless they are 100% perfect they arent worth much at all. I had a hard time getting $1600 for my 85 charger (it was nice, but i got tired of changing starter soleniods, and it had a loose connection somewhere in the power to the ignition i couldnt find so it would run like crap sometimes), and there is another one still sitting in someone driveway that needs a new engine for $200. An ex showroom stock CSX was on craigslist for over a year and i dont think it even sold for $800. But yea, really clean ones are $$. Unless people start making restoration parts for alot of the 80s and 90s cars, well preserved examples are going to be worth the most money. Other than that, alot will depend on what you end up being able to get restoration parts for, which will probably be some of the more common good cars like e36 m3, miata, etc.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lMaiNJosD8BVCDu868RL3wghTg72CsoOlKBfG6SFA2vs5GVCGr3JMiguTxoQQyNr