1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/08 5:40 p.m.

So, do we all rush out and buy SUVs, or did everyone learn a lesson? Discuss.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
10/26/08 5:44 p.m.

I don't think it will last very long. But I'm happy it's where it is.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/26/08 5:46 p.m.

$2.19 here and $2.39 for premium

I'm up for a road trip!!!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
10/26/08 5:49 p.m.

I saw an add for a hybrid Escalade today on TV so we're either all going to rush out and buy SUVs again or the world is ending.

PHerder
PHerder New Reader
10/26/08 6:55 p.m.

$2.07 here in Wichta, KS. this afternoon.

Duende
Duende New Reader
10/26/08 7:00 p.m.

I don't believe for a moment it will last long.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
10/26/08 7:16 p.m.

I'm not sure how long it will last, but I think part of the reason is that for a while earlier this year people thought buying barrels of oil was an idiot-proof investment. We've just seen the idiots prove that wrong.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/26/08 7:23 p.m.

I don't think many will run out and buy suv's...

I was laughing at the gas pump today.. cost me $21 to fill up the honda.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
10/26/08 7:24 p.m.

I bought my gas-guzzler before prices went up, and have no plans of getting rid of it, so I guess I learned nothing..

Gas prices are down, true, but compared to the decline in the price of oil the oil & gas companies are still bending all of us over on the retail end. Seems it takes mere moments for spikes in oil prices to make their way to the pump, but when oil prices fall it takes months for pump prices to catch up.

Winston
Winston New Reader
10/26/08 8:02 p.m.

Next surge starts May 2009. Start saving up

The question is, will we hit $5 per gallon next year or in 2010?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
10/26/08 8:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: So, do we all rush out and buy SUVs, or did everyone learn a lesson? Discuss.

What I find interesting to this day is that most people don't seem to understand that whether or not gas prices are high or low, they still save the same amount of $$ per fill up when driving a more economical car.

Now, I've driven in everything (well, alot of cars) and I have to say if I could have a brand new off the showroom floor 1994 Honda Civic hatch fully loaded, that would be one damn amazing car. Its smooth riding, the ergonomics are decent, its not slow by any means, handles well, can fit two people and enough luggage for a cross country trip and knock down over 40US mpg on the highway all day long... oh yea, and last till 400,000+ kms with minimal maintainence! I'm sure that I would probably esplode if I ever got a ride in a Fit (working on it).

flexi
flexi New Reader
10/26/08 8:13 p.m.

Gas is still pretty high in the North East. I had to pay $2.81/g for premium on Saturday. And that was the cheapest around by far.

When I get a chance to get a newer car it will be one that is a gas sipper - maybe a Fit. Right now, no new cars in my immediate future - I'm trying to put my daughter thru college. :(

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
10/26/08 8:27 p.m.

We where over $5 four weeks ago. If you could find any. We had no diesel and what little places that did have gas only had low grade.

I get about 28mpg in the Grand Prix. And I usually run premium. I really like the little Yaris but to small for the family. I would like to get a small car for to and from work though. Maybe I shouldn't have sold my BMW I'm regretting that more every day.

Winston
Winston New Reader
10/26/08 9:08 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: We where over $5 four weeks ago. If you could find any.

That's just because of the shortage your area had. I'm talking national average.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo HalfDork
10/26/08 9:18 p.m.

It's down to $2.72 here.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/26/08 9:55 p.m.

Northern Ohio: $2.39

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/26/08 10:17 p.m.
  1. Pre-election dip

2. price is down because the enconomy cant sustain $3-4/gal

3. The 'Oil-bubble' has burst and the artificial inflation is over

Take your pick of these possible reasons. And it is just under 3 here now

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/26/08 10:18 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/the-unthinkable-suv-buying-advice/4255/page1/

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/27/08 9:27 a.m.
ignorant wrote: I don't think many will run out and buy suv's... I was laughing at the gas pump today.. cost me $21 to fill up the honda.

And I also save more time at the pump with my Honda Civic. Takes me about 1-2 mins to fill up.

Yesterday was watching a guy fill up his huge Hummer. I was able to fill up, go inside buy a paper, coffee, and leave before he was finished :)

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
10/27/08 9:45 a.m.

Still well over $3.00 most places in and around Glendale, CA. Saw a $2.99 cash price yesterday but that's the only under-$3.00 place in the area.

My wife's next car will be smaller. She drives a '97 Camry four-banger now. Her daughters are grown and gone so we rarely have more than two in the car. Whenever we need a larger vehicle, we just rent it. Beats hell out of paying higher operating costs driving around a large empty car most of the time.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
10/27/08 9:57 a.m.

I passed a station this Saturday that had dropped the price of 87 to $1.99. The lines of those waiting were greater in magnitude than those lines when we had no gas.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
10/27/08 10:01 a.m.

I am thinking of buying one of those wasteful 25mpg Cadillac Northstar drivetrains for a project...

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/27/08 10:12 a.m.

$2.14 regular and $2.34 premium last night.

I'm really seriously thinking road trip to Florida while the prices are down

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/27/08 10:22 a.m.

im driving the exploder right now... (because the exhaust on the E30 needs work)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/27/08 10:44 a.m.

down because of the election. When January comes rolling around they'll start to rapidly climb again. Just my prediction.

I won't complain paid $2.61 for premium yesterday but it was at a Sam's Club. Only $35 to top it off in the Trans Am

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MQHw4IKqgYp1LofZAQ7HWarbsLFLt88bbEIjF7udiU8u4HMyN3fKr7ulLRdMM9Zi