1 2
Markde
Markde New Reader
7/4/13 9:42 a.m.

I've got a hankering for a stock turbo car to play around with this summer. I've got about $2k burning a hole in my pocket for this purpose but the local craigslist search brings up very little.

Turbo dodges, mazda/fords, and nissan z cars are what I've been looking for but they are no where to be found. I've had a few turbo bricks (volvo) and would like to try something different.

Any input on a 99-2002 or so 9-3T? They are common as dirt around here and very cheap. Also I may have a line on one for $600 that needs a clutch. I've done some research but I'd like to know how they stack up to the aforementioned turbo beaters. I would likely just start with a mbc and based on how much I like the car/rust, maybe something much more.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
7/4/13 9:50 a.m.

Get a 94-99, more robust engine and less finicky engine management. Or get a 9000 and have a much better car all around

Great engine in a floppy pig chassis. Good cheap, reliable, turbo beater though.

BTW, tuning for Saabs Trionic engine management is open source now through a program called T5Suite. There's a guy near me who flashes these ECU's for free. He'll mail you a tuned one, you send him your stock one in return. He tuned my 9000 Aero, ~20PSI and runs great

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/4/13 9:58 a.m.

Yeah, the tunability of T5/T7 Saabs is something to behold. With a downpipe and exhaust you can make ridiculous power for pretty cheap. Luckily a lot of the chassis issues can be fixed, there are a few dedicated Saab speed shops that have neat stuff available. I personally think they are an incredible performance value, and the timing chain engine will last forever if you use good oil and change it often.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
7/4/13 9:59 a.m.
  • A Billion on getting a 9000 turbo instead.
fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
7/4/13 10:03 a.m.
thestig99 said: Get a 94-99, more robust engine

What makes the 94-99 engine more robust? I thought the 99-02 9-3 had the exact same engine.

I'd like to know, because I've always been curious about those cars.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/4/13 10:07 a.m.

It's the same engine, but less likely to suffer sludging with the T5 injection.

That said.. I would -never- again own a 94 to 99 Saab 900/9-3. I had a 94 and it was an accident waiting to happen. To say it had torque steer issues is like saying that a Jag XKE might be pretty.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/4/13 10:15 a.m.
fanfoy wrote:
thestig99 said: Get a 94-99, more robust engine
What makes the 94-99 engine more robust? I thought the 99-02 9-3 had the exact same engine. I'd like to know, because I've always been curious about those cars.

The T5 94-99 motors have a much more robust bottom end oiling system and are less prone to sludge than the later T7 99-up motors. They are also easier to tune and use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. Not the same engine, similar, but not the same.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/4/13 10:18 a.m.

I'll just leave this here.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/4/13 10:52 a.m.

There's a wagon one of those that's been for sale for some time, but I'm afraid to stop and look at it

Markde
Markde New Reader
7/4/13 11:49 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Took a look at the site and while intrigued I'm not quite sold.I guess I'm really looking for an extremely grassroots turbo car.

While I have no doubts that power can be made, I know myself and spending $600-1000 on ecu tuning for a $500 car will just feel wrong...

Still kicking myself for letting my rust free 87 glhs shelby go for $1500 7 years back.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/4/13 12:45 p.m.
Markde wrote: In reply to SlickDizzy: Took a look at the site and while intrigued I'm not quite sold.I guess I'm really looking for an extremely grassroots turbo car. While I have no doubts that power can be made, I know myself and spending $600-1000 on ecu tuning for a $500 car will just feel wrong... Still kicking myself for letting my rust free 87 glhs shelby go for $1500 7 years back.

You can do the ECU tuning yourself for free...you just have to do some minor soldering on the ECU to put the USB cable port there...other guys just sell tunes for those that don't want to mess with it. You will find yourself restricted by the stock down pipe pretty quickly, after that you can make insane power.

http://forum.ecuproject.com/forumdisplay.php/14-SAAB

Markde
Markde New Reader
7/4/13 1:06 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Hmm, how does the trans/etc hold up? I've had a few classic 900s and I don't trust those transmissions with even stock turbo power.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/4/13 1:18 p.m.

The new 900s use the same transmission that was eventually developed into the Cobalt SS 6-speed...the gearsets swap. Not known for weakness. They are stout cars, just make sure your motor and trans mounts are in good shape and brace the hell out of the body. You shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything until you're approaching 400HP, at which point you'll have swapped the turbo among other things...

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/4/13 6:51 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: The new 900s use the same transmission that was eventually developed into the Cobalt SS 6-speed...the gearsets swap. Not known for weakness. They are stout cars, just make sure your motor and trans mounts are in good shape and brace the hell out of the body. You shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything until you're approaching 400HP, at which point you'll have swapped the turbo among other things...

Lalalalalala I'm not listeninggggggg...

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
7/5/13 3:16 a.m.

Somebody posted a vid awhile back of a stock looking 9-3 doing some land speed record run.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
7/6/13 1:51 a.m.

i drove a friend's viggen about a month ago and it was fairly terrible lol. It handled like garbage and it had the worst torque steer i've ever felt.

With a downpipe and exhaust you can make ridiculous power for pretty cheap.

None of which you can put to the ground since either you have no lsd and/or a trans that can't handle much power.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/6/13 9:00 a.m.

that is how I felt about my old GM 900 SE Turbo... and that only had 185hp

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
7/6/13 9:38 a.m.

Some people like 'em, some people don't. Just saying that there is a lot of overlooked potential in the platform.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/6/13 12:16 p.m.

if you could find a way to tighten up the wetnoodle dynamics of the chassis.. it would be a great car. Like most things of that GM era.. it is -so- close.. but they did not throw the couple extra hundred dollars at it to make it right

Markde
Markde New Reader
7/6/13 3:34 p.m.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_28&products_id=35

Seems like it may help in that regard, also is cheap and off the shelf. I may have found my next project car.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
7/6/13 3:44 p.m.

Apparently, a steering rack brace makes wonders to get rid of the torque-steer. Anyone have experience with that?

Markde
Markde New Reader
7/6/13 9:22 p.m.

Just came to an agreement on a 99 HOT motor car that has no clutch action for $600. Should be delivered to me sometime early this week.

I may be a little impulsive, but thanks for all the advice. Pictures and maybe a project car thread will come soon.

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/6/13 9:34 p.m.

I have always been intrigued by these cars. The engine layout with the belts between the engine and the firewall and the transmission underneath always seemed like they would be a pain to work on. Is that the case?

Markde
Markde New Reader
7/6/13 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

That would be the original or "classic" 900. The newer ones are more conventional in orientation. I've had a few classic 900s, and yes belts/accessories can be a pain. The clutch however is cake!

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
7/6/13 10:12 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Apparently, a steering rack brace makes wonders to get rid of the torque-steer. Anyone have experience with that?

It helped on our 2000 Saab 9-3 (base model). That an an upgraded rear sway bar were definitely a good combination.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9klwpOGKIMMumR2ZHNQ5ZiPXiZp7MfZZPBInegAL75ctzCTnt1cjwDhIzU6TH0g