bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
1/11/09 8:06 p.m.

Driving along delivering pizzas today and passed by a GT-R actually out driving on the road. Only impression I got from the car was that it was really large. A few miles down the road I realized that it was pretty cool to see one of the fastest cars in the world out on the road. I agree with most on here that I would probably spend my own money elsewhere but awesome ride none the less.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
1/12/09 9:47 a.m.

I've actually seen a few in Daytona. GRM brought over their media one to our school car club meeting, then there was one at an autocross yesterday in Tavares FL. You're right though, it did look very large on the course. Also it seemed a little high up... I thought you could lower the ride height from the cab so I'm not sure why it was left so high. Fast though!

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
1/12/09 9:56 a.m.

I saw one for the first time Friday on the way home from work.

I agree that I think it's a cool car but not what I would spend my money on.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
1/12/09 1:06 p.m.

It's been a couple of months now since I spotted one in the wild, but around the time we had our press fleet one I saw a few other drivers parked around Daytona, and that surprised me.

I loved the comment that I got when I took it to the Embry Riddle flight line to take some photos: "Man, you picked the wrong school to come and pick up chicks in that car."

He was referring to ER's heavy bias towards male students. He also must not have realized that the gal in the passenger seat was a) my fiancee, and b) a professor at the school.

Then another student started humping the rear flank.

EricM
EricM Reader
1/12/09 1:15 p.m.

It's nice you got to see it before the transmission went out and the owner couldn't drive it around.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/12/09 1:26 p.m.

I know it is an entierly different beast, but i see some parelels between the GT-R and the challenger, Big, Heavy, Exspensive. But it seams that the GT-R is at least capable of more than 1/4 mile times and bulivard cruising.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
1/12/09 5:19 p.m.

The GTR is a great car, But it is still ugly. Besides you could get couple real nice cars for the same price as one of those.

audifan
audifan New Reader
1/12/09 6:53 p.m.

sexy it is not. There was one @ LeMons CT 08. it is a little clunky looking... There was a saying in the aviation industry during WW2 that went like so "if it looks good it generally goes good" (think P51, Corsair, Spitfire, etc.) so the GTR doesn't exactly look good but technology is an amazing thing.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/12/09 7:04 p.m.

I tend to think they look better in certain colours. Silver ones appear clunky and awkward, but the red one Clarkson drove through Japan on Top Gear, looked much better.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/12/09 7:16 p.m.

Agreed on color. I have seen silver and red in person and the red is much better. Personally, I thik it is very sexy, but I put a lot of weight on function over form. (I love the look of a Unimog for instance.) And I think that Nissan knows that the average buyer of Corvettes and 911s use them for image and cruising, not track days. (present company excluded of course). To sell a $77,000 Datsun, you have to be able to use it every day.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
1/12/09 7:17 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: I loved the comment that I got when I took it to the Embry Riddle flight line to take some photos: "Man, you picked the wrong school to come and pick up chicks in that car." He was referring to ER's heavy bias towards male students. He also must not have realized that the gal in the passenger seat was a) my fiancee, and b) a professor at the school.

Funny. My brother is an engineering student there and I hear that pretty much non-stop

Clay
Clay Reader
1/13/09 1:35 p.m.

I went to Georgia Tech which is the same way and a female student friend was constantly being told she must love having such a high male population to which she would respond: The odds are good, but the goods are odd!

Sums up engineers perfectly...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/13/09 1:55 p.m.

when I was at Morrisville, the best vehicle to pick up a girl was a truck big enough to hual a horse trailer, if you went for the girls in the equestrian program.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/13/09 6:51 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I know it is an entierly different beast, but i see some parelels between the GT-R and the challenger, Big, Heavy, Exspensive. But it seams that the GT-R is at least capable of more than 1/4 mile times and bulivard cruising.

...for twice the money, it damn sure ought to be!

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
upbKYhh1rUztESZ1AXpYr7FJ9aAi8zAxBH2tCtbOEfXQ66qr7oltPneHrDjNonsg