Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
7/3/13 8:35 a.m.

The rumors start.

I don't have room for one of these, but the idea of a VW Diesel that might not be a snoozefest to drive has me mildly interested. Mainly because it might come with a DSG, and that means that all of the drivers in the house would be satisfied with it.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
7/3/13 8:42 a.m.

this is on my radar as well.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/3/13 9:27 a.m.

I like the idea.

I'd also like for other manufacturers to follow this model and build fun to drive and fuel efficient diesel cars for the US Market. The only other one that has come over with any hint of performance in mind was the VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition. Those are rare cars and command quite the premium on the used market. Yes, I looked.

Mazda... I'm looking at you. You are having success with your Skyactiv Diesel racing program. Take that setup and plop it in the new 3 with a Mazdaspeed suspension, a real limited slip diff, and sport seats, and you will have a winner. A 40mpg+ commuter car that can do HPDE's on the weekends? Sign me up.

audifan
audifan Reader
7/3/13 9:46 a.m.

jetta diesels are already DSG the fact that it will be combined with a good suspension and sport seats etc is what seals the deal for me

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
7/3/13 11:22 p.m.

Now, if they could throw a diesel and a DSG in a Mazda3, I would be there TODAY.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
7/4/13 1:34 a.m.

i wish VW would offer a LSD in their GTI/D cars. Why would a pick a GTI over a Focus ST, Fiesta ST, or MS3? To me unless you want a pure commuter car you need a lsd in a hot hatch.

A FWD torque monster diesel without a lsd on whats supposed to be a performance orientated package is just imo retarded.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
7/4/13 7:04 a.m.
kanaric wrote: i wish VW would offer a LSD in their GTI/D cars.

They are, an electronically-controlled Haldex.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
7/4/13 7:50 a.m.

If brought over here, I predict some madscientist tuner (s) able to pull over 400 lb ft of tq out of these, and push it closer to 45-50 mpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZmcDXTc8qYkim3uuyW2YOv6AhBVKpvAuFGRRxpcCAM2pHaulzObRyqRBMxS5D9jH