ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/29/10 12:01 p.m.

Ad on CL right now for a twin-cam, dual-carb Europa that's been sitting for 4 years. It appears complete, motor ran when parked Guy just has a "no reasonable offers refused" instead of a price listed.

What would be a reasonable offer?

I've pinged him with the same question, if it's out of my budget, I'll put the link up here.

Carson
Carson Dork
5/29/10 12:14 p.m.

I think it would depend a lot on where and how it's been stored.

Edit: Doh! I didn't answer your question! I've seen similar sounding cars in ads from anywhere between $1000 and $6000.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/29/10 12:19 p.m.

Yeah, I'll see what I can get back from him. If we're talking 4 digits, it's a no-go for me. (Why yes, I am a cheap bastard, hahaha).

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/29/10 12:22 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: ... I am a cheap bastard...

Like the rest of us aren't?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/29/10 12:27 p.m.

Heheh.

Yeah, I'm just trying to find a better DD. The 318i I was looking at has "emissions problems", and in Cali that means "don't walk, RUN".

Jay
Jay Dork
5/29/10 2:03 p.m.

$200-$300 isn't bad, but even if he doesn't pay you anything to haul it away you're not getting ripped off.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/29/10 2:56 p.m.

Here's the link, I haven't heard back on if "reasonable offer" meant hundreds or thousands, and the wife's not real keen on another non-running vehicle in the parking lot, err driveway.

Lotus on CL

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/29/10 4:11 p.m.

Hmmm.... 3000 miles away.

Thank you!

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
5/29/10 6:13 p.m.

Search some of Hess's opinions about "free range Europas". Good for a chuckle, if nothing else.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/29/10 10:01 p.m.

Whew 2500 miles away, breath again

triumph5
triumph5 New Reader
5/30/10 1:50 a.m.

Oh, boy! Looking into trucking costs and calling buddy who once said if you ever want to sell....This is bad, bad. But then I could justify buying THE car I've always wanted. Well. I was tired; so much for a nap before the GP2 race in three hours..

triumph5
triumph5 New Reader
5/30/10 3:12 a.m.

In reply to triumph5: The shipping wasn't as bad as I thought to get it to the east coast, about $1400--non-demand ship. It has the desireable engine, that great body. But, it's been sitting in Santa Rosa. From what I've gleaned, the basic back-bone frame can be prone to rust. Sooo, it's a parts car from my 3000 mile view. Compared to three other Europas on eBay, the engine compartment is a bit funky. And what's with all those tie wraps around the Weber carbs? He wants it gone, offer him $500 sight unseem; see what he says. If it's a real basket case, you can part it out--please don't--and make monies. Now if it were anywhere within a 24 hour drive from here, I'd jump all over it. If it was still available. The yellow one in the midwest on ebay should help put things into perspective.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/30/10 5:23 a.m.

That's the coolest thing I've seen all night, (and I've seen several cool things tonight.)

With a Europa in that state, though, I think I'd rather have the Renault engine. Less costly to rebuild, OR I'd feel less guilty replacing it with a 4AGE.

Jay
Jay Dork
5/30/10 5:42 a.m.

That one actually looks pretty good! When you said "been sitting", I naturally assumed "disassembled, in a field, with trees growing in it." Love the paint scheme, that could only have come from the '70s. Buy it, and wear a white disco suit when you drive it.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
5/30/10 6:09 a.m.

That's an S2 that's most likely had an engine swap from a later car, though Lotus was known to make some "running changes" along the way, so there exists the possibility that it came with it.

I'm not sure that I'd trust 70's era magnesium wheels at this point and magnesium is tricky to restore.

I was at Lime Rock yesterday, checking out a row of cars that included a new Ferarri, a new Alfa 8C (beautiful!), and a bunch of Porsches including a near perfect '67 911S. I heard "Oh my God!" and turned to look. Some guy was reacting to a yellow Europa S2 parked down the line. That kind of surprised me.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/31/10 8:54 a.m.

Good call, Woody - when I got the message back from the seller, he had said that his father had swapped the engine.

Also as part of that was that he had received several (!?!) bids of $5k+.

I told him good luck with the sale

jm3
jm3 New Reader
6/1/10 1:34 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

I was intrigued, because I am driving through Santa Rosa in a few hours from now. The ad says "first $5500 takes it"

So I won't be stopping. There is some really cool stuff you can buy for $5500.

Jay

Raze
Raze HalfDork
6/1/10 2:06 p.m.
jm3 wrote: ...There is some really cool stuff you can buy for $5500.

You can buy a whole fleet for that!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/1/10 2:12 p.m.

Yeah, I just bought a Free Range Europa. Paid too much, sight unseen. Hauled it home Friday. It's in my shop now. And, no, there were no trees growing in it. I think they were a type leafy weed or grass. Anyway, I now have 4 Loti. There's another Free Range Europa TCS left there now.

And that one in the CL ad did not come with a twin cam engine. That's a S2, like the one I just bought, except that one appears to be mostly there.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 New Reader
6/1/10 4:00 p.m.

The back end of those cars doesn't leave much to love

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/1/10 4:17 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: And that one in the CL ad did not come with a twin cam engine. That's a S2, like the one I just bought, except that one appears to be mostly there.

No, it didn't come with that motor - the current owner's father swapped the twincam in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZS0ao5B3q9qwIcH8vmILCU0BLOOa2ELOJO8OKfOMIOH8HEU9s6U0yhkPC7K5a8N