1 2 3
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/2/09 12:51 p.m.

Just track days, right? Nissan S13. They never made a big mark in Club Racing, since they didn't have the power, but a turbo could make it a fun car.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/2/09 12:53 p.m.

Either a 99-2001 subie 2.5rs or a 02-04 wrx. Both should easily be able to be had for your price. Might even be able to find a early impreza with a turbo motor swapped in for that price. Good capable car for many different auto disciplines.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
11/2/09 12:58 p.m.
Carson wrote: I like the 2nd RX-7 idea, but with more V8.

Case in point...there is a super nice FC LS1 for sale on v8rx7forum.com. Here are the details from his ad. He just dropped the price to $9k, which is a phenomenal price for what's there. Already has a roll bar and could include race seats, harnesses, etc.

Seller said: well its time to sell my beloved project, its come time for me to move on and let this go to its new owner, with work and my very busy lifestyle, i find less and less time for it. i've had this car for about a year ( bought it when it was stock) from its very first owner. the swap started about a month after and the complete swap took about 5 months from start to finish ( including waiting for parts). NO PENNY was spared on this project and it definitely shows. i can account for every part down to the NICKEL so low ballers will be ignored ( i have the excel sheet to prove it). this car is a SOLID swap and will be ready for the track with a few tweaks here and there. i haven't even put 75 miles on this swap so she's still a virgin. here's a list of parts:

Vehicle : 1988 FC Rx7 SE (128k on the body)

Powertrain Parts: 1999 WS6 LS1 Engine and T56 Tranny Hinson FC Mounts S4 LSD TII Rear End (4.1 gears) Corvette Fuel Rail Covers HSC Wilwood Modified Master Cylinder Master Cylinder Adapter HSC Clutch Hydraulic Line HSC Battery Relocation Kit HSC Race Fuel System ( Walbro 255 w/inline filter, full SS lines) FC Power Steering Kit HSC LS1 3" Custom Driveshaft HSC V8 Premium Cooling System (HUGE PRC Radiator) Custom Cold Air Intake JTR 1-3/4" Long Tubes Ceramic Coated HSC LS1 FC Wiring Harness Mod FC PS restrictor valve Custom 3.5" intake wrapped in Heat armor w/K&N Filter T56 Prothane Tranny Mount

Cobra 6sp Shift Knob MSD TR55 Spark Plugs & 7.5mm Wires Lokar SS Throttle Cable Baker Electronix VATS Bypass w/ custom removable "2nd" key Zero Clearance heat shield MGW F-Body Shifter Spal Fan Controller V3 TurnOne PS Restrictor

Exhaust Setup: (2x) Magnaflow 6" Round Mufflers (2x)Magnaflow Tips Magnaflow 2.5" X-pipe

MISC/Interior: Pinion Snubber S5 Front bumper custom 10" subwoofer box w/ Fosgate Punch p2 and amp Alpine deck Custom Gauges Autometer Ultralite II Speedo Autometer Ultralite II Tach Autometer Ultralite II Fuel Autometer Ultralite II Water Temp Optima Red Top Battery Autopower Race Roll Bar Sparco Ring 330mm Wheel MOMO Hub NRG Quick Tilt Inertia Switch K Sport Camber Plates Ground Control / Tokico Illuminas Custom dead Switch Panel ready for NOS AeroWorks CF Cooling Panel Alternator Rectifier 5 Lug S5 Spindles w/ BRAND NEW full bushings replaced T2 Calipers w/ larger FD front calipers DTSS Elims S5 tails (modernized)

and i'm sure that there are a load of things i didn't list...

LIST OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE: Autometer Fuel/Speedo must be calibrated Clutch needs to be replaced 5-lug needs to be put on braking needs to be done(lines/rotors/pads) and a tune.

it KILLS me let this car go, but i really wont have the time for it anymore, if it was up to me she would sit there for the next couple months/years waiting for me to give her the attention, but realistically thats just not possible. she's almost ready for the track with just a few simple adjustments and mods, after that she'll be a beast to reckon with, the car is still driveable with the clutch the way it is, you just cant stomp on it or it'll free rev, but ive take trips around town and it holds just fine, no slips or anything. THE SPARCO SEATS SHOWN WILL NOT BE INCLUDED!!! they will be replaced with the stock seats. i also have some 17x9 and 17x10 brand spanking new enkei rpf1's in silver that i can include with an additional price, but everything extra i have for this car will go to the new owner. i'm in no rush to sell this car so please dont waste my time. invested was about 14k, not including the time it took to wait for parts and labor. PRICE DROP TO 9k!!!OBO you pay for shipping! serious buyers please call me : 408-372-xxxx , i usually dont check my emails and pm's too often but i will always respond to phone calls. here's a few pics of her: http://www.v8rx7forum.com/cars-sale/57443-1988-fc-rx7-w-ls1-swap.html

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/2/09 3:03 p.m.

That'd be a fun car!

There are several RX8's for sale locally for under $9000. I don't think I'll be happy with them power wise, but I know they're very balanced and seem fairly reliable.

I'm selling my M3 because it's an E46 M3, it's just too expensive of a car for me to be throwing around the track. I feel that my driving skills won't improve until I get a car that I can feel more comfortable crashing.

I also don't want to put a rollbar etc in my daily driver. I need the back seat of the car to carry my daughter.

So I figure if I can sell the M3 and get enough cash to buy both a nice 4 door daily driver as well as a fun track car, I should do it.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/2/09 3:08 p.m.
  • camaro
  • mustang
  • 80's turbo volvo
Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/2/09 3:10 p.m.

c4 Vette. Cheap to buy now. Fast. Bigtires, big brakes and, believe it or not, it was meant for tracks! lol

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
11/2/09 3:40 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: 82 Turbo Fiat Spider. Very scary at 150 mph

Not even with a rocket strapped to it's deck lid. Must have been one of those overly optimistic Veglia speedometers.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
11/2/09 3:57 p.m.

I think the FC RX7 would be a good bet. So is the RX8.

The RX8 would be an easier starting point since its newer and has a much nicer chassis, better brakes etc. Friend of mine runs one in NASA TTD and does well. Maybe add a supercharger if you feel the nee for more power.

That being said, the S2000 is a wonderful car. Check out what this RX8 owner/racer comments: http://www.rx8club.com/showpost.php?p=2926794&postcount=21

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
11/2/09 7:20 p.m.

Just out of interest, how would you compare a second generation RX7 to a S14 (or second generation) Nissan if you could put a V8 in them? Both cars have coverstion kits and they both have roughly the same specs. Thoughts?

End of hyjacking:-)

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/2/09 7:49 p.m.

Have you considered vintage RWD cars? I mean there is the Datsun 280Z, MGB or Midget, TR7, '70s Celicas and Corollas, also Alfa Romeo Spiders and Fiats.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
11/2/09 7:50 p.m.

Boxster

Also a fan of the FC w/ LSx.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/2/09 7:55 p.m.

I haven't considered vintage because I want a modern chassis. I don't want to have to constantly fix things and I'll be driving the car to the track, which means I want working AC.

Dav
Dav New Reader
11/2/09 7:58 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Either a 99-2001 subie 2.5rs or a 02-04 wrx. Both should easily be able to be had for your price. Might even be able to find a early impreza with a turbo motor swapped in for that price. Good capable car for many different auto disciplines.

+1 for the WRX. They can really hold their own on the right track.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/2/09 7:59 p.m.

The Corolla isn't unreliable and you just need to roll the windows down for summer.

spider94r
spider94r None
11/2/09 8:11 p.m.

Any E36 BMW or a non-M E46. You already know BMW's, and that is a good thing in a track car. If it must have a back seat, then your choices are pretty limited. I think all the realistic possibilities have already been put out there, along with a bunch of unrealistic ones.

I have an E46 M3 and a pair of Miatas. I can't afford to track the M3, so I can sympathize with your dilemma.

Kevin

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/2/09 8:28 p.m.

Wait. Not a Miata? I'm not sure I understand the question then.

I like the Mustang idea. The older you go, the cooler they get and the cheaper they get. Unfortunately, there really aren't any unmolested Fox body cars that aren't dragsters. I've been looking... They can use better brakes and tighter suspension / bodies, but the body gets stiff when you put a bar in anyway. And everything for them is dirt cheap (subframe reinforcements). Aim for the coupe. Not the fastback if you can. The coupe is the stiffest of the Foxes.

I love the IS300 idea. They're almost as good as the BMW 330 and I imagine that they'd be cheaper too. You guys don't think they're below $10,000 yet? Well, if you can find one (with a proper transmission), it's a great car.

I second the idea for the C4 Vette too. Actually, that should be at the top of my list. They're definitely below $10,000. I saw a beautiful 1993 with a proper transmission in Charles Town WV (yeah, a mile from Summit Point Raceway). She was $8,000. Mmmm... LT1 deliciousness.

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
11/2/09 8:59 p.m.

The WRX has transmission issues at higher horsepower, correct?

I never understood the fascination with A/C in a sporting car. I mean...your getting rid of the M3 for a reason, because it's expensive. Relate the A/C to being expensive. More stuff you don't need. I consider a radio and power steering a luxury. Direct steering, taught suspension and good grip are the real necessities.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/2/09 9:15 p.m.

If I were trailering the car I wouldn't care about a radio and AC, but I'm not. I'm driving the car to the track. I'm not doing wheel to wheel racing, so weight isn't all that much of a concern. Driving several hours in triple digit heat without a radio and AC is something I'm not willing to do.

I'm going to focus on a 944 turbo, E36 M3 and maybe an RX8 as the track cars...

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
11/2/09 9:28 p.m.

I think I'd want something really wild and different as a track only street car. V8 RX7 sounds about right. Everything else is too civilized.

Maybe a really wild turbo S13...but then I'm biased.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
11/2/09 9:43 p.m.
docwyte wrote: I feel that my driving skills won't improve until I get a car that I can feel more comfortable crashing.

C4 vette+quality cage = verry fast disposable track toy/end tread

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Reader
11/3/09 6:44 a.m.

+3 on the C4 Corvette. Displacement over boost. I'm happy with mine. (It's also for sale, under 10k. Has a roll bar, working A/C, manual trans,big brake kit, and its a convertible!) 4th gen Camaro or Firebird will return large bang for the buck too.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
11/3/09 8:40 a.m.

+1 for the bugeye wrx or a C4 vette

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
11/3/09 9:18 a.m.

King Rat is currently campaigning a couple IS300s. They had four (IIRC), and sold two, o whom I do not know. www.kingratmotorsports.com

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
11/3/09 9:26 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Have you considered vintage RWD cars? I mean there is the Datsun 280Z, MGB or Midget, TR7, '70s Celicas and Corollas, also Alfa Romeo Spiders and Fiats.

There is a thought.. a datsun 240/60/80 with the engined turboed? I have seen SR20 swaps into those.. more power, less weight

If you liked the M3.. how about an M3 of the E36 vintage. Most of what you are already used to, but more disposable and lighter.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/3/09 9:33 a.m.

Hmmmm, RWD, Turbo, Civility, Sub $10K price, able to handle track days and daily driving, no need for a back seat. That sounds like a second-gen MR2 to me! Insane power is available with the MR2 turbo if you choose to go that way, but even stock it is a great dual-purpose car. Radio, A/C, leather, cruise are all easy to get, and it even has two trunks!

There is only one 80K mile turbo on E-bay currently, but for $5K its a steal!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cVAG877c47x1o0lknaUp42dz9dXz20I9zIYC1OYA8piBBuz4M0AxIru5yuIg1tXM