1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/14/23 3:45 p.m.
feature_image

For nearly two decades, we welcomed our fans to the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Each year Grassroots Motorsports pitched a big tent—both literally and metaphorically—and welcomed all in attendance to watch the race with us for free. Our pitch was simple: "Your home away from home at the R…

Read the rest of the story

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
6/14/23 4:09 p.m.

I wonder if Sebring has an opening :) !

wae
wae PowerDork
6/14/23 4:17 p.m.

https://media.tenor.com/images/d6eb7c160a0b5a313fa495d38da1fdf3/tenor.gif

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/14/23 4:23 p.m.
drsmooth said:

I wonder if Sebring has an opening :) !

What no other track has is the beds of most of our staff within two highway exits. Seriously I could go home to poop and barely miss a shift during rolex weekend.

That doesn't mean we aren't constantly looking for more venues to provide in-person events at, just that Daytona had a real mix of happy coincidences that made it a real special experience, and very doable on our end. I understand progress marches on, and there's no hard feelings between any of the parties involved, but it's going to be kind of a bummer not seeing everyone next january the way I've become accustomed to.

Although, it will be nice to actually watch the race for once. Not gonna lie there.

seaportnj
seaportnj New Reader
6/14/23 5:17 p.m.

Well this sucks frown

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/14/23 5:54 p.m.

That's sad. I really enjoyed that. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/14/23 6:29 p.m.

Went many times to the GRM Rolex Experience. Very sad to see it go. Thanks for all the good memories.

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
6/14/23 6:36 p.m.

We could buy a bunch of outfield tent camping sites and have an impromptu GRM section/party!!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/14/23 8:53 p.m.

I'll see what sort of package they offer, but I'm probably done. For me, it was about it being The GRM Experience.

crxmike
crxmike Reader
6/16/23 4:26 p.m.

I called today to see if any infield options for those that had grm tix in past. All they came up with was call on 8/16 when relocations for renewals open up, good luck. 

It was a good run for last ten years, but also not looking to return if we have to park outfield and tram in. 

husky450cr
husky450cr New Reader
6/16/23 11:50 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

This past March I made the bucket-list trip from Phoenix, AZ to attend Super Sebring...and was surprised GRM didn't have a presence.  
I wore GRM t-shirts both Saturday and Sunday, expecting to do alot of fist-bumps...but nope, never saw another fan in GRM wear...was I not really there, the Twilight Zone maybe...?  

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 Dork
6/17/23 11:28 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Home-pooping-proximity is admittedly a big win!  In the future I plan to reference this convenience as "HPP" in your honor!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/23 12:35 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Home-pooping-proximity is admittedly a big win!  In the future I plan to reference this convenience as "HPP" in your honor!

This was one of the real nice things about when the Rallycross Nationals were held in Tulsa, the hotels were walking distance from the site.  Portapotties are for commoners, I want running water smiley

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/23 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

See also: Staying track-side when at Sebring. I know it costs a lot for the 12 Hours, but I think I once paid like a $1 premium to stay at the Sebring track hotel during an SCCA weekend vs. sleeping in town. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/20/23 3:12 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

See also: Staying track-side when at Sebring. I know it costs a lot for the 12 Hours, but I think I once paid like a $1 premium to stay at the Sebring track hotel during an SCCA weekend vs. sleeping in town. 

1) Super sad to hear this news. Even if I couldn't get my hands on the GRM Experience Tickets, I loved stopping through and chatting or appreciating reader's rides. I'm glad I actually got to make it to the track this year for the race and experience the experience one last time. 

2) Correct. We stay at the Sebring trackside hotel for all Champcar events or whatever else that isn't the 12 hour race. During the WRL 24 hour race there, getting a nice shower and nap was crucial for all the drivers and support we had. A 2 minute ride over vs. 20-30 ride into town pays so many dividends. The hotel needs some major improvements but it's still clutch (especially for #2s when it's 95 degrees with 100% humidity). 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
6/23/23 6:36 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll see what sort of package they offer, but I'm probably done. For me, it was about it being The GRM Experience.

This is where my head is at.  We always leave Austin for the month of January, aka cedar pollen season, because both of us are super allergic.  So we'd make a nice RV trip of it stopping along the coast, hitting a couple of tracks and seeing our colleagues at GRM...plus the community interaction.

We will probably do all of that one last time for 2024, but will likely give up our primo infield camping spot after that.  It was only primo because of it's proximity to the GRM area.  :(

TimM
TimM Reader
7/29/23 12:57 p.m.

Real bummer...took advantage for over 10 years...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/29/23 2:08 p.m.

I didn't realize how lucky I was to get this. There won't be another opportunity. 

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
1/16/24 1:35 p.m.

Noooo! crying  I've had it on my bucket list to spend my 50th birthday there in 2025 and now I'll never get the opportunity!  cryingcryingcryingcrying

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/16/24 1:55 p.m.

In the trips section someone had mentioned an impromptu get together at a restaurant or something Thursday/friday.

I won't be available then, but if other GRMers want to meet up during the race and have our own "GRM Fan Experience" and just chill and maybe do a pit walk without the special access, I think that would be fun!

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
1/16/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

I'll have the new-to-me FD at Rolex, and would be very interested in a beer and car meet up Thursday or Friday if there's enough folks around. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
1/16/24 2:43 p.m.

Just got a call from Daytona ticket center.  Havn't had a call from them in five years.  That tells me they've had a drop off in sales.

TimM
TimM Reader
1/17/24 1:58 a.m.

I won't be pursuing the same ticket after this year...GRM was it!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/17/24 5:32 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:

We will probably do all of that one last time for 2024, but will likely give up our primo infield camping spot after that.  It was only primo because of it's proximity to the GRM area.  :(

Gave up our spot for good, though to a friend and worthy recipient -- Robby Foley's parents.

We're in Daytona right now, camping at the beach in a state park, headed to the FIRM Friday for some testing and then home.  But next year we'll head south west for January instead.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/24 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

You know, I believe I was at that very same park earlier in the week. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cQ1dUXEM2mg0szXvyNYbP1769WdtTC3CesBdpTZPIBP3PFzKnpKN5a5zhKWpRxDw