1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/28/21 11:29 a.m.

What is the Pick Up version of a Chevy Astro van ? 

The Astro van is simple Chevy parts and they sold millions of them 

And its not too wide to drive around and park at walmart between 2 new BIG pickups , 

a pick-up would click all those boxes

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/28/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

An S10 would be closest to an Astro.

thashane
thashane New Reader
4/28/21 12:49 p.m.

My first ever "car" was a 91 Toyota PU with the 22RE with about 200k miles. I ran it into a tree and flipped it on its side, and for about $1300 it ran for another 200K miles, until it was t-boned in an intersection. And granted the years that I had it, were hard 16 year old, I want to be a rally-car driver years. Great truck. I think most of them end up "retiring" in mexico. 

After that I had a 99' Tacoma 5VZ-FE, until I ran it into a telephone pole AND a tree. But I put the TRD supercharger on it, and it was AMAZING for a '20 something' want to be rally car driver.

The T-100's were great trucks, also had the 3.4l V6, manuals are pretty rare however.

Something to think about, if you get a "bigger" truck, then you can get a trailer, and then you can get a race car. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/21 7:17 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

250k. Yes it's a lot of miles but look at what you're getting overall.

90's and "Japanese"... Mazda b series based on the ranger? It's just body panel differences... For a "hard core" Japanese truck, I'd buy a hardbody. JMO.

I'd avoid every auto out there....

Came here to say this.  I have one that I finally sorted all but the last little issue that I would let go.  I'm in PA, but the truck is from FL and suprisingly rust free.  It has 114k and even has the factory exhaust.  The last little problem I have narrowed it down to what I think is the catalyst.  It runs perfectly for 45 minutes on the highway.  Then it will start to have a slight buck/misfire and throws a CEL for EGR.  I have replaced the complete EGR system except for the valve itself.  My guess is that the cat is heating up and becoming restrictive and giving positive pressure on the wrong side of the EGR sensor.  I use it a few days a week for errands, lumber runs, etc and it's flawless.... as long as you don't take it on a road trip.  It will make the trip to Cinci just fine, but it will complain about it.  In December I took it 300 miles to WV and it made the trip just fine, it just likes to sputter a bit.

New clutch, new radiator, all kinds of new stuff

94 Branger, 5sp, 4.0L lots of upgrades like a ladder/lumber rack, late Explorer wheels, 04 Explorer side mirrors, all the bells and whistles.

PM me if you want to talk about it.  I wouldn't sell it as "flawless low-mile 4x4" but when someone says "looking for a nice beater," my Branger screams that.

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/28/21 8:27 p.m.
Stay away from the 3.0 powered Rangers. 

ebelements said:

In reply to CJ (FS) :

That thing is MINT. For those in the know, are Rangers something that should be on my list?  If so, what to watch out for?

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
4/29/21 12:16 a.m.

Wenatchee, WA (2.5 hrs east of Seattle)

1990 Toyota 4x4, 130K miles, 5-speed, 22R engine, $5,500

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/29/21 1:10 a.m.

If you go ranger, stay away from the 4.0 SOHC engine. The 4.0 OHV is good, not the SOHC

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/29/21 8:36 a.m.

In reply to CJ (FS) :

CJ, you are plugged into my brain. That thing is perfect. Not sure what doodle tires are though. Wonder how could I convince that guy to wait for me to get out there to buy it?

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/29/21 8:50 a.m.

The universe is messing with me—think I found a contender less than 15 miles away. Set up a time to look at this first thing Sat AM. Last year of the hardbody, manual, 4x4, decent miles, not seeing any rust. And it's teal! Feels almost too good to be true, so we'll see.

Aside from what looks to be a bashed in passenger rocker, we might have a survivor on our hands. Wondering what the deal is with the plastic-covered carpet? 

Also... if this works out, those headlights are going straight to hell. I've yet to see a full-LED 6x7 that doesn't look like Guy Fieri's childhood science project.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
4/29/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to ebelements :

It would be a drive :=) Might see if you can get him to take a deposit?  The Toyota is about 10 hours north of me, so checking it would be difficult.

Think I would want to lift the carpet up on the Nissan.  That carpet screams 'problem' to me.

4/29/21 9:53 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

If you go ranger, stay away from the 4.0 SOHC engine. The 4.0 OHV is good, not the SOHC

Correct.  The SOHC versions not only had complicated chains up front with guides that like to fail, the other bank is driven off a chain at the back of the engine.  When you do timing chains, you technically can do it with the engine in the truck, but it's far quicker to pull the engine to do it.  You also need specialized tools because there are no timing marks.  You have to lock the crank and cams in place so they can't move, but you can't use the sprockets because they have to come off.  And, if you happen to let a cam or the crank move, you're better off just taking it to a dealer.... but good luck finding one that actually has the proper tools, and even better luck finding one that will finish a half-done surgery.

The only real issue that the OHV version had was that there was an early run of them with lifters that would tick.  The solution is to turn up the radio.  They also sometimes have intake manifold coolant leaks, but it's also not a difficult fix.

That Hardbody looks a good bet.... although I spy fresh undercoating on the frame.  Dig deep.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/21 10:03 a.m.

I agree, the Hardbody looks good.  I agree on frame paint.  Could be righteous maintenance or could be an act of deceptions. Be prepared to lay on the ground and poke around with a screw driver.  

A personal pet peave... Two air vent mounted air fresheners as well as a pine tree from the rear view mirror.  Is this a smokers truck?  Is the floor plastic a tactic to hide smoke smell too?  

For the heck of it, I got onto car-part.com and it says that these guys in Circleville, OH have a 1997 Nissan Truck bench seat in tan, mint condition for $49.99.  I checked and they do not list the carpet but they might have it and not list it.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/29/21 10:50 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Marshall's is a pita to deal with

4/29/21 11:01 a.m.

I'm looking back through this thread to see the same "japan" tax is still in effect.  Japanese trucks either have twice the mileage for the same price or twice the price for the same mileage.  Having owned a few of each flavor, I never found the japanese trucks to be twice the truck, in fact I find them to be a little... tin foil-ish?

I usually buy American compact trucks because they are built to feel like a miniaturized 1/2 ton, whereas imports tend to feel like a Corolla with a bed.  My ex FIL offered me his 2010 Taco for a decent price and I just said no thanks.  It's like they couldn't get the recipe right.  The 4 cylinder made so little torque that they compensated by giving it a flywheel that is about 3 times too heavy.  There is no way to shift that thing decently unless you wait about 3 seconds for the RPMs to come down.  The sheet metal is thin, the suspension is somehow simultaneously so soft that carrying 15 2x4s makes it squat, and yet it rides like a buckboard.

I totally get that everyone has their reasons for buying a vehicle; fast, reliable, pretty, cheap... whatever trips your trigger.  I just don't understand the market supporting the prices they bring.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/29/21 11:06 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Correct.  The SOHC versions not only had complicated chains up front with guides that like to fail, the other bank is driven off a chain at the back of the engine.  When you do timing chains, you technically can do it with the engine in the truck, but it's far quicker to pull the engine to do it.  You also need specialized tools because there are no timing marks.  You have to lock the crank and cams in place so they can't move, but you can't use the sprockets because they have to come off.  And, if you happen to let a cam or the crank move, you're better off just taking it to a dealer.... but good luck finding one that actually has the proper tools, and even better luck finding one that will finish a half-done surgery.

The only real issue that the OHV version had was that there was an early run of them with lifters that would tick.  The solution is to turn up the radio.  They also sometimes have intake manifold coolant leaks, but it's also not a difficult fix.

That Hardbody looks a good bet.... although I spy fresh undercoating on the frame.  Dig deep.

As a plus side the SOHC also has a weird torque band so it feels gutless under 3k and gets bad MPG too. It's a terrible engine 

My 91 Ranger has had both those problems actually but neither are bad. The tic is a bit annoying  but nothing bad. I own 3 cars with it that are at 245k, 255k and 125k too

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/29/21 11:09 a.m.

I'm a fan of the Hardbody/Frontier over the Tacoma. I know that's blasphemy coming from someone who's owned Toyotas for many years, but I prefer the Nissans.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
4/29/21 11:23 a.m.

That hard body looks good. If you buy it please go full Office Space on those headlights!

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/29/21 3:25 p.m.

If Japanese wasn't a requirement, I'd suggest a Chevy GMT800

4/29/21 4:29 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
ebelements said:

In reply to CJ (FS) :

That thing is MINT. For those in the know, are Rangers something that should be on my list?  If so, what to watch out for?

I like Rangers a lot. When I'm looking to do a quick flip I check out the Phx CL ads and there are usually 15 to 20 (maybe less now). Your 5500 budget could get you a nice one there.

IMO, half of your budget could get you a nicer Ranger than a Taco.

thashane
thashane New Reader
4/29/21 4:37 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Ranger50 said:

250k. Yes it's a lot of miles but look at what you're getting overall.

90's and "Japanese"... Mazda b series based on the ranger? It's just body panel differences... For a "hard core" Japanese truck, I'd buy a hardbody. JMO.

I'd avoid every auto out there....

Came here to say this.  I have one that I finally sorted all but the last little issue that I would let go.  I'm in PA, but the truck is from FL and suprisingly rust free.  It has 114k and even has the factory exhaust.  The last little problem I have narrowed it down to what I think is the catalyst.  It runs perfectly for 45 minutes on the highway.  Then it will start to have a slight buck/misfire and throws a CEL for EGR.  I have replaced the complete EGR system except for the valve itself.  My guess is that the cat is heating up and becoming restrictive and giving positive pressure on the wrong side of the EGR sensor.  I use it a few days a week for errands, lumber runs, etc and it's flawless.... as long as you don't take it on a road trip.  It will make the trip to Cinci just fine, but it will complain about it.  In December I took it 300 miles to WV and it made the trip just fine, it just likes to sputter a bit.

New clutch, new radiator, all kinds of new stuff

94 Branger, 5sp, 4.0L lots of upgrades like a ladder/lumber rack, late Explorer wheels, 04 Explorer side mirrors, all the bells and whistles.

PM me if you want to talk about it.  I wouldn't sell it as "flawless low-mile 4x4" but when someone says "looking for a nice beater," my Branger screams that.

This sounds alot like my wood splitter, that runs great until it builds up enough vacuum in the fuel tank, and then starves for fuel or wont run. If I vent the gas cap, it'll run at WOT indefinitely. Just a thought, and not that hard to test, just pull the gas cap off, and see if the problem persists.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
5/3/21 5:16 p.m.

Update.

So I went to look at that '97 Hardbody on Saturday. Guy suggested we meet at 10am on his side of town, and I was there at 9:50. Be proud of me because I've never been all that buddy-buddy with the clock and unless there's a flight involved I generally don't rise with the sun on Saturdays. So, at ten after ten I messaged him and he said he'd be there "soon." Himself and a pal finally showed up and my excitement immediately took a nosedive—from a number of carlengths away it was clear the truck had been poorly bodyworked. Bedsides around the wheels had that telltale chunky wavyness and dull paint that screams "leave the magnet in the car, I promise you I'm not metal."

I still drove it. Ran alright, needed suspension. Learned that at 6'4" I'm too damned big to be monkeying around with a clutch and gearshift in a single cab. Underside had been sprayed, but honestly, was surprisingly un-rusty. Still, at $4800, the damn thing needed to be GOOD, and it wasn't. The owner didn't speak any english and his buddy spoke only marginally more. My espanol is easily as rusty as this truck was, so no negotiations were had. Thanked them for their time and salvaged the morning by bringing the wife some Panera breakfast. Pacified with a bacon, egg, and cheese whatever she happily listened to me explain my bummer-laden morning. Or happily ate and ignored, either way she's a saint.

Threw myself into yardwork/establishing the veggie gardens the rest of the weekend and tried to forget about the pickup I thought I needed. This morning while the wife readied herself for work I poured a mug of that good brown water we all love and instinctually opened FB marketplace. Scrolled for a few moments. Too rusty. Too expensive. Too far away. Confederate flag decorative front plate. The usual, until I saw this:

$5800. Local. Appeared clean. Guy could communicate with a keyboard. I messaged, he asked for my number(ooh la la) and called immediately. Great convo, was very upfront and knew his stuff. Truck is a base model 2WD, auto, 180k, 3 owner, a rare color, and even the AC works. Told me about all the little fiddly stuff that no one would notice or care about, but shared it anyways. How refreshing.  Since I'm not working for the forseeable future, and he was off today, we decided to meet at 2.

By 2:30 we were in the bank transferring money and having the title notarized . Not a perfect truck, but about as good as a 21 year old truck could be without being one of those creepily low-mileage BAT freakshows. For the love of the game I offered $5500 and he took it. I'm happy.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
5/3/21 5:25 p.m.

Nice score!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
5/3/21 7:25 p.m.

Good deal. I like the periwinkle. Seems like the 2wd trucks don't have quite the same Toyota Tax as the 4wd ones. 5-speed 4 cylinder?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
5/3/21 7:42 p.m.

Do you fit in the cab?????

ebelements
ebelements Reader
5/5/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

From what I've seen in my admittedly short search, every small pickup worth a damn is taxed to hell and back at the moment. The nice rangers were within a grand of the nice imports. People are holding onto these things longer and only letting go when they're used up. Luckily for me, this guy(and his dad) are taco guys and did the hard work searching for a good one(5 months he said), and as a new dad himself, needed something with another row. 

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I do! It's not something I'd love to drive cross country, but being an auto makes things miles easier. Plus if the wife or my 75 year old Dad needs to, they can easily do their own trucky things. When I told the old man that I'd likely have to leave it up there for a bit when I UHAUL down the 10'x14' steel shed he's giving me, the text I got back said "Great!  Now I can spend your inheritance at the sawmill." 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3h52i3usijYy30zAL1F9MOCVHl1hkOsIVAmDUBf96mm4UDVp85RMRbzCmZC5OYg