hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/5/23 10:06 a.m.

I was at Ollies on Sunday, it's Ollie's Days so it was an additional 15% off total purchase.

Anyway, their 'automotive' section is usually garbage, but I always walk down the isle. This time I saw a gallon of Gunk branded rust remover for 7 dollars (before the discount)

I thought I'd pick it up. Ive not tried it yet but wanted to see if anyone had tried this before. If it's good, this seems like a great deal (vs Evapo - which is a known great product - for 3+ times the cost)

obsolete
obsolete Dork
7/5/23 5:57 p.m.

Interesting. Their website and MSDS say it's not an acid, so maybe it's pretty similar to Evapo-rust. Awesome deal if it works well.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/6/23 8:59 a.m.

Today Im going to start a test with it. Put some stuff in and leave it for 12 hours and then leave it for 24 if not done yet. Or maybe It wont be 12 hours, maybe 8, cause I got to go to bed at a realisitic time for a 40 year old

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/6/23 9:02 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Looking foreword to the results. One can of that is the same cost as some of the fasteners that I need cleaned up. 

obsolete
obsolete Dork
7/6/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Is it's anything like Evapo-rust, it won't take nearly that long.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/7/23 8:42 a.m.

Ok, late start, sorry.

At 5:36pm yesterday I put this stuff in a talenti container and just barely covered the hardware with the GUNK fluid

Rusty enough? Rusty enough for a good test? I thought so

So, this morning at around 7:30 I dumped the fluid out (I was in a rush, so I didnt bother to 'save' it, there wasnt that much and I didnt have time to mess with it and didnt want to dig my fingers in there.

Anyway, so 14 hours (approx) after putting it in this VERY inexpensive fluid this is what came out. This was just rinsed off, not even dried (yet...it's 95 today, it's dry in less than half an hour), and I didnt wipe anything off, didnt scrub anything. JUST THE GUNK

What do yall think? I think it's WELL worth 7 bucks

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/7/23 10:29 a.m.

Thanks for the test! Seems like great results!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
7/7/23 12:06 p.m.

Cool  , can you post a picture of the container ?

thanks

stroker
stroker PowerDork
7/7/23 1:14 p.m.

"Ollies"?

obsolete
obsolete Dork
7/7/23 1:28 p.m.

Give 'em a little wire brushing and throw 'em back in!

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
7/7/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Ollies discount store. Has a cartoon old man as the I guess spokesperson. "Ollies, good stuff cheap!!"

They're a pretty big chain that sells factory rejects and buyouts. Everything from flooring, to clothes, to weird candy and books, even some electronic stuff and fishing stuff. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/8/23 12:04 a.m.
stroker said:

"Ollies"?

Liquidation store

Youll find odd-ball stuff there, some really good deals there

Some brands youve never heard of, some you grew up with. It's hit and miss

We go about once a month and browse around. Good place for snacks, and my wife like the Annie's brand mac and cheese they sell for about half what it is at WalMart

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/8/23 9:07 p.m.

A couple of years ago they had aircraft paint stripper.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvustyxDAZCdJSWstm294CT0L59GzIw0FMgsWtuv82rBXkuzM1prFEQQ0tONEdlX