Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/5/14 4:20 p.m.

What a blast. My 10 year old GM was a ton of fun. With the brakes and tires up to temperature the C6 Z51 was seriously fast, even with a novice like me behind the wheel. I've only changed a few things on the car but I loved them all. Hankook RS3 tires, Carbonne Lorraine RC5+ brake pads, ATE DOT 4 fluid, Koni Sport adjustable shocks, dual core all aluminum radiator from DeWitt's and a Corsa Sport exhaust. I appreciated every one of the mods and didn't really want for anything else. I had a great coach that let me ride along in his well-prepped E46 M3. After a few sessions in both cars I really had an appreciation for the amount of speed he was able to carry through the turns. It rained a lot on Sunday and gave me an opportunity to feel a lot more sliding at a lower speed. Excellent experience. NASA put on a pretty sweet event. Was anyone else there?

Passing is fun

All in all a great first time on the track. I've been signed off for group 2 but I'd still prefer to have a coach or experienced driver in the right seat than be solo.

Bonus; there was a guy there that offered my girlfriend a ride in his C5 Z06. She took it and had a great time. Thanks Jeff!

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
5/5/14 5:23 p.m.

Those are great cars right out of the box! Nice list of track mods as well.
I bet the exhaust sounds bad ass.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/5/14 5:41 p.m.

Sounds as if you had a great experience. Good on 'ya.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/5/14 5:51 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Those are great cars right out of the box! Nice list of track mods as well. I bet the exhaust sounds bad ass.

I agree. The sound reverberating off the wall just a few feet away from my left ear down the front straight at 6500 rpm in 3rd gear was just intoxicating. It was also really fun to be able to brake hard enough to get some good heel-toe practice in. It seems that I just slow down to fast on the street with any significant brake pedal pressure.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/5/14 6:06 p.m.

PIR is a nice track to play on... I've got to get back there....

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
5/5/14 6:09 p.m.

Very cool.
cough I'm jealous cough

Any footage?

Regarding the 'bonus' you realize he was trying to steal your lady, right?

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
5/5/14 7:02 p.m.

Nice! I was there Friday for the rally, but not Saturday or Sunday.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/14 7:09 p.m.

Awesome. Sounds like a fun outing.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
5/5/14 7:12 p.m.

There is something very special about your first track day. I still have the DVD from mine after 7 years. How long have you been waiting to do it?

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
5/5/14 7:26 p.m.

Very nice, my friend had a corsa exhaust on his non-z06 c6 and it sounded fantastic. Sounds like a very tastefully and subtly modded car perfect for hpde. Great events to see who's limits are reached first, the car or the driver.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
5/6/14 1:38 a.m.

PIR is awesome, and it was where I did my first track day in my miata about 10 years ago. I'll never forget it! That is also when I realized how bad of a driver I really was. I haven't been to a track since we had our first kid over 5 years ago, and I'd love to do it again. Some day... In the meantime, I guess I'll just collect more cars????

-Hamid

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/6/14 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

I bought the car in January with the intent to get out on the track. I missed the March 29th event at ORP due to a cracked plastic end tank in my radiator. Decided to do it right the first time and get a DeWitt's, but it took almost 3 weeks to get here.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
5/6/14 10:11 a.m.

First track I ever drove on was PIR. That was nearly 20 years ago now and I was driving my 944. Looks like you had a good time.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/6/14 10:12 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: There is something very special about your first track day. I still have the DVD from mine after 7 years. How long have you been waiting to do it?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/6/14 5:25 p.m.

I've got some video to edit that turned out pretty well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PRCcvoGb7SpYZQXp9rMe0MuBgHgLlnU2Dg9TefhtDWuDcBtoj7WXfKULaHM1ecbN