snipes
snipes None
6/11/08 1:42 p.m.

4000# jack

<a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105">#3000 jack</a>

I think the larger jack would let me get rid of my steel jack but it would not be as nice at the track. Any thoughts?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/11/08 1:52 p.m.

Is that higher than last years pricing?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
6/11/08 1:53 p.m.

I have two aluminum "rapid pump" style floor jacks. They are great for whenever I am going somewhere, Nice and light and I can toss them in the trunk.

When I am home though I grab the heavy old steel slow pump one every time. I like the ability to make small adjustments when installing a motor by myself. It's nice to be able to tap it with my foot while leaning into a bay.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/11/08 2:49 p.m.

I have this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47246 It's great.

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
6/11/08 3:47 p.m.

I like something that goes higher for putting the car on jackstands and working underneath, every inch counts when you are doing that. If you are just doing basic suspension/brake/tire work then it will be fine.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
6/11/08 4:04 p.m.

I have that same one(OP), it's a nice piece of equipment. Price looks a little high though.

Cotton
Cotton New Reader
6/11/08 4:11 p.m.

I have the one Hess has and it works great and I've had zero problems with it.
I also have the larger one listed in the 1st link and it is okay, but I've had to bleed the air out of it pretty often. I called and they said it was from carrying it sideways or hanging it on a wall. So now I carry it totally level and still have to bleed it from time to time. Other than that it works great.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/11/08 4:22 p.m.

I took those side handles off so I can get a jack stand right next to it. I don't need the handles anyway. I used it to jack up my porch after the tree blew on it in April.

boxedfox
boxedfox
6/11/08 9:53 p.m.
snipes wrote: 4000# jack

We have that jack in our garage. It's pretty good - low enough that I can get it under the crossmember of my car and it doesn't seem to have much trouble lifting anything in our driveway.

Although It does come apart and isn't that heavy, I'd be reluctant to call it portable. As Cotton said, it doesn't seem to like to be inverted or put sideways so transporting it might be tough.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/11/08 10:11 p.m.

+1 on the small one.

I've never had to bleed mine except for when it was new, but I keep it level. It gets under the lowest of cars and lifts just about anything.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
6/12/08 12:01 p.m.

I saw a smaller HF jack break while lifting a BMW M3. Luckily, the guy using it was far enough away that it didn't hurt him.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/12/08 1:01 p.m.

They make one smaller than the one I have too. But it doesn't lift as high.

I have a hockey puck I place ontop of the pad for some applications like the Esprit, and I cut a slot in a 2x4 for others, like the Camry/Corolla which you lift by a seam.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
6/12/08 8:36 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I have this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47246 It's great.

I had that one blow out and almost drop a car on me changing tires at an autocross (it was my co-drivers.) Bought one just like it after that. Meh...don't get under any car without a jack stand. It's a cheap, good jack.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
6/13/08 4:18 p.m.

I had the HF US General 91309 model that gave up the ghost on me a few months ago. I attempted to repair the thing as I was fairly sure the check valve between the reservoir and lift chambers was blown... which it was because the steel screw had mangled the aluminum valve body. I theorized it happened during manufacturing (in China) because I'd never touched it otherwise.

They don't like being inverted or stored/transported on one side; both fouls I'd committed with that jack. But I did get five years out of the thing. I'd like to replace it with another light jack for track days but I really don't want to send more money to China. If anyone knows of a genuine US made lightweight jack, post up.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
6/14/08 3:25 p.m.

Will a non Rapid Pump type (like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91039) work as well if I don't mind pumping a bit more than 6 pumps?

It's cheaper too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XvYcJA8zNfmpRy6ZLOxLbUt5NZsrjd9SI79oxL1lMhaQCG4mZt0M686kolftG6kW