1 2 3 4
theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/29/24 10:47 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

This is for something of greater than zero value, offered for free. Screenshot is entire conversation, which is now 2 days old, and emblematic of many I have had trying to purely give E36 M3 away. 

"free" attracts the worst sort of buyers IME. You're better off way undervaluing it if you want someone to get it out of your house.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/29/24 11:20 p.m.

Once I thought it was funny to put in the Craigslist ad that if it doesn't sell it's going into my recycling bin on Thursday night.  

Then I had a guy trying to negotiate coming on garbage night to get it for free. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/29/24 11:21 p.m.

I'm trying to sell parts of a koi pond filtration system. Even selling at half price isn't enough to even attract inquiries other than "are these still for sale." That, and the ever-annoying response to my prices listed as "Firm", "what's the lowest you'll go."

Good thing I'm not a motivated seller...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/30/24 11:07 a.m.

"Whats the lowest you will go" is always responded with "what is the most you will pay?"

If an item is listed at $50 and someone offers $25, I will respond with "how about $75?"

Then block, move on.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/30/24 11:31 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Does anyone over the age of 17 even bother with aftermarket wheels these days?

Absolutely. I put a set of Advan RSIII's with center caps on my '23 BRZ. 

That was $3k before another $1k in tires. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
5/30/24 11:55 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I did that to an offer from someone wanting to purchase my previous home. My employer was transferring me and I had a guaranteed price for the house, but I had 60 days to sell it for more if I could get it. Real estate agent brings me an offer below the guaranteed price, so I countered with a price higher than the list price. Poor woman was so confused.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/30/24 12:16 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

This shows the scammers sending multiple emails trying to scam the world.  Guy never looked at my original ad. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/30/24 1:04 p.m.

This is nothing new. I was selling a 323 GTX shell in 2008, and hooked a scammer. Halfway through our conversation, I raised the price from $900 to $10,000 and he never blinked. So I had him send the bogus cashiers checks to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW in Washington.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/30/24 1:37 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I can get the in person thing.  I had a brand new toolbox that I wanted to sell because I didn't like it, and I couldn't return it. I had just paid $1000 for it.  I got an e-mail offer for $750.  No, I am not going to give you $250.  I don't even know you.

75% of new seems a little low but still pretty good for what is a used box. It was new when you bought it, used when you were selling it.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
5/30/24 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Kind of had the same thought...if you're asking $850-1000 for a box that's $1000 new in the store, it probably makes sense to just buy new and get a warranty/return policy/some sort of after sale support.  But that just means I'm not the right buyer in that scenario.  There's probably somebody out there thrilled to get $100 off. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/30/24 2:06 p.m.

And I think that might point to one problem people have with selling parts: pricing, and inflexibility. You've got something there are thousands of out there, you have to convince someone that your part is the one they want. Posting "no offers until in person" and getting pissed about lowball offers are ways to talk them OUT of buying from you.

I sell a ton of stuff online and in person, like literally tons of stuff per year. And I do that by trying to be clear, friendly, and priced right. Good pics, concise accurate description, and easy - easy - EASY purchase process. They text me at 1:30 am - OK that's a time waster. They make me a 50% offer - well how about 70%. I don't really care, it's better than having it clogging up the shop right? Why the hell is it offensive to get a lowball offer? It's just stuff, crap nobody really needs, not some kind of statement of your worth as a person.

I rarely have to scrap stuff that's worth selling. Because I work to meet the people more than halfway.

I'm also insanely busy so in person deals happen at my house or office, if they don't show up, I only notice after the fact as I've been working on stuff the whole time.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/30/24 3:00 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

You've hit it exactly, I think.  When I'm selling something, I need to _sell_ it.  Unless I have a one-of-one, high-demand item, the prospect is the one with all the power and I need them more than they need me.  In order to turn that thing into money, I've got to work for it.  That means I'm going to make myself as available as I can for people to come and look at it, I'm going to answer a whole bunch of "stupid" questions, I'm going to get a bunch of scam attempts, and I'm going to get some lowball offers.  That's all part of the cost of doing business.  If I decide I don't want to do that and I'm not going to respond to "is this available" and I'm only going to do deals in person and so on, then fine, but I'm going to have fewer prospects.  It's all just sales 101.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/30/24 3:06 p.m.

I agree, I'm always super flexible, especially on parts for obscure stuff as while its rare, buyers are also rare. I tend to list on marketplace and take any reasonable offer, a guy came to look at a europa transaxle after i answered a bunch of questions for him and i ended up doing a package deal for 2.5k worth of various parts, so it can pay off to accommodate people sometimes.

on some more in demand stuff what I do is put it on ebay as an auction, with a starting bid I'd be happy to sell it for. Usually it sells for that price but sometimes you get lucky and two guys bid it up two or three times what you expected. 

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
5/31/24 8:58 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

"Whats the lowest you will go" is always responded with "what is the most you will pay?"

If an item is listed at $50 and someone offers $25, I will respond with "how about $75?"

Then block, move on.  

I sold something for full price to someone who asked this. 

Mild regret as he complained after purchase  about something that was mentioned and pictured in the ad. Was even told that no one else would have bought it like that / it was over priced / etc. Lesson learned! 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/31/24 9:25 a.m.

In reply to EchoTreeSix :

was the lesson you learned that you should just block and ignore people after the sale is done? that's the lesson i learned when I sold my Z3 lol

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/31/24 11:25 a.m.

I am a little conflicted about the 50% offers, I can see it both ways and I do use it to my advantage some times.

I wanted to buy a new tool box.  I was very specific with what I wanted:

• Snap-On
  • KRL or Epiq
  • 72" or wider
  • 29" deep
  • Stainless top

Otherwise not too picky - color, hutch, top box, etc didn't really matter.  I also was not in a rush.

So every day I would hit Marketplace and give lowball offers to guys with boxes in the $6k to $8k range, between $2500 and $4000 depending on how nice the color combo was, what exact model it was, and what all it came with.  

Some guys wouldn't respond

Some guys would get offended

Some guys would counter, but more than I was willing to spend

After about 6 weeks I connected with a dude who not only had what I wanted, but needed money ASAP.   His $6000 asking price turned into $3500 real fast, then $3k if I showed up that day.  

Deal.  Snap-On KRL for Icon price.  

On the other hand, if I am listing something for $100 and I get a $50 offer, I will usually just say "sure" if I want it gone, never hear from them again, or if its genuinely worth more and an easy sell I will counter at 70-80% and never hear from them again.

Agree on the "free" listings.  I had a bunch of old doors off my house, listed them for $1 each.  Person showed up, "do you really want a dollar?"  "Yep"

And then there was the guy who showed up in his ratty van to take a bunch of wood panelling I was getting rid of - firewood grade.  Gets out of his vehicle, starts throwing cigarette butts on the ground. "Get the berkeley out of here if that is how you respect someone's property" "What" "You heard me, you can leave right now"

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
5/31/24 11:32 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

After about 6 weeks I connected with a dude who not only had what I wanted, but needed money ASAP.   His $6000 asking price turned into $3500 real fast, then $3k if I showed up that day.  

Random question:  how do you know he owned it outright and wasn't paying Mr. Snap-On $50/wk or whatever?  Is that your problem?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/31/24 11:46 a.m.

^ There's an important distinction between Mr.Snap-on (the tool truck driver) and Snap-on Credit (the damn near predatory consumer financing arm) both are going to want their box back one is calling the local police that very moment. 

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
5/31/24 12:12 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to EchoTreeSix :

was the lesson you learned that you should just block and ignore people after the sale is done? that's the lesson i learned when I sold my Z3 lol

Indeed it is. I have one more bike to sell and I can't wait to see it gone. 

92RS
92RS New Reader
5/31/24 1:09 p.m.

I sell a lot of 3d printed cut templates and other parts  for, 82-92 f-body.

The bad economy definitely makes it harder to sell parts.

Every time we enter a recession, frivolous suspending gets cut. Car parts being one of them

Most people don't realize this but we're actually at levels worse than the 2008 recession. 

But it's also an opportunity for people with excess money, to pick up car projects at a huge discount.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/31/24 2:36 p.m.
mfennell said:
93gsxturbo said:

Random question:  how do you know he owned it outright and wasn't paying Mr. Snap-On $50/wk or whatever?  Is that your problem?

I got a bill of sale and a photo of his drivers license.  At some point you have to trust people .  Also, he doesnt have *my* contact info.  Burner google voice account, "marketplace only" bogus profile, paid in cash.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/31/24 5:42 p.m.

Just had to refund the buyer of the VW Corrado part I recently sold.  UPS broke it in transit, I do have insurance and have filed a claim but have no expectation of actually getting paid by them.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
5/31/24 6:10 p.m.
92RS said:

I sell a lot of 3d printed cut templates and other parts  for, 82-92 f-body.

The bad economy definitely makes it harder to sell parts.

Every time we enter a recession, frivolous suspending gets cut. Car parts being one of them

Most people don't realize this but we're actually at levels worse than the 2008 recession. 

But it's also an opportunity for people with excess money, to pick up car projects at a huge discount.

I own a thirdgen, that's a cool idea.  When i got my hole for the clutch pedal i just mounted the manual pedals, marked the firewall up, and got to it.  It worked, but i expect this is cleaner.  

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/1/24 7:22 a.m.

I was selling an 850 turbo wagon a few yrs ago asking $2500,guy sends a message and says I'll come tonight with $1500 CASH.

I said sounds good,make it 6 I have to stop for a couple new sawzall blades.

Which half did you need??

No reply :)

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/3/24 4:56 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to dculberson :

You've hit it exactly, I think.  When I'm selling something, I need to _sell_ it.  Unless I have a one-of-one, high-demand item, the prospect is the one with all the power and I need them more than they need me.  In order to turn that thing into money, I've got to work for it.  That means I'm going to make myself as available as I can for people to come and look at it, I'm going to answer a whole bunch of "stupid" questions, I'm going to get a bunch of scam attempts, and I'm going to get some lowball offers.  That's all part of the cost of doing business.  If I decide I don't want to do that and I'm not going to respond to "is this available" and I'm only going to do deals in person and so on, then fine, but I'm going to have fewer prospects.  It's all just sales 101.

I think you're both right.

This discussion comes up from time to time and I used to be surprised at all the whining and complaining, because selling stuff is usually pretty easy. I think the people that complain the most are usually their own worst enemies, and spend a good deal of effort to make it harder on themselves.

One thing I have done since I've started using MP is to put in the listing that I don't respond to is it available, because nearly 100% of those were dead ends, and I put my postal code in the ad. That way I don't have to deal with the what's your location questions. I will otherwise do everything I can to make the transaction as easy as possible.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1gyPY2bMYD9SK7InNNzqvDUn39bdWIUvt1YrzRVHtkBnivzNFBLcOuvtpsRmhxvq