1 2
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/29/18 7:23 p.m.

I looked at that pic and literally said 'what the f*&%' 3 times in a row. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/29/18 7:55 p.m.
Vigo said:

I looked into them a bit. Turns out that because some people who control congress have a whole starve the beast attitude that involves sabotaging any major government function that they'd prefer to drive into private hands, the USPS basically hasn't been allowed to make any major fleet purchases to replace their 30+yo LLVs. I mean, i hate the other side too, but don't count on picking up any cheap LLVs at auction any time soon.

I thought the whole PREMISE of the existence of the LLV was a Long Life Vehicle that would last long enough to simply be scrapped when it was no longer servicable.  Therefore, no LLVs on the used market.

(I always called them Clavinmobiles.)

admc58
admc58 Reader
8/29/18 8:37 p.m.
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/29/18 10:28 p.m.

I thought the whole PREMISE of the existence of the LLV was a Long Life Vehicle that would last long enough to simply be scrapped when it was no longer servicable.  Therefore, no LLVs on the used market.

Well as mentioned i think they were designed for 15 years of service. There are nearly no fleets that keep the same (road) vehicles for 30 years, which is for the best since technology has never NOT made a 30 year old vehicle obsolete. From the reading i did, these vehicles are maintenance intensive compared to anything remotely modern and the USPS would very much rather have been able to buy newer replacements.

But, the USPS is hardly on the bleeding edge of decline in the shipping industry. They're just stubbornly effective enough that they refuse to die gracefully as so many would like. But they will, and will be replaced with the like of Amazon's subcontracted shipping companies like the one which is being sued for labor practices right now. And then eventually the rights those people are suing over will be dismantled and the conversion from centrally accountable effective agencies that congress is willing/able to exert oversight over will be replaced by thousands of tiny companies offering E36 M3 jobs in the gig economy that congress cant/wont do anything about.

BTW my LLV bench race build is a 4x4. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YBu5J1WfSIdH2jEAa7fgd6SfBeJ8uBXKZLfBFTBojoPB12hVe9KRrwgceh6BzHWX