1 2 3
gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/14/15 7:09 p.m.

I have been trolling cl lately for C4 corvettes. I think I may sell the mustang and get one these. Their fun per dollar ratio is pretty much off the charts right now. Plus it's a vette, You know it will gain value if it is in decent shape. But the funny thing is, when I was a kid these were my dream car. I thought they were the greatest thing on four wheels. Its crazy looking back at how I felt back then and thinking they can now be bought for two weeks pay. As I got older I sort of lost interest in them as I became focused on 60s muscle, now that I've done the 60's thing my heart is being called back to my first love.

So what was your childhood dream car, have you owned one, and was it what you hoped for, or a let down?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/14/15 7:14 p.m.

75 Stingray. Sometimes meeting your dream car can be a little disappointing. Or it is until you start modding it the way you want it.
C4s were new when I was in high school, but a neighbor had a shark bodied Vette and I just like the look.

Do it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/14/15 7:16 p.m.

I was pretty happy to have my '88 MR2 SC from '00-'04.
While I owned it I was never in the presence of another and to this day have still not been.
About 1,000 made per year for only two years.

In 1987 when it was released, I would have been 19 years old and could have not been able to afford something that new or that cool.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/14/15 7:22 p.m.

My childhood dream car from 3rd grade on was a 911 and I have not owned one. Heck, I've not ever even sat in one since 3rd grade which was somewhere back in the 70's. I don't plan to own one at this point as they just don't interest me that way they did then and the prices of the aircooled ones have gone nuts.

outasite
outasite Reader
12/14/15 7:24 p.m.

Corvette Stingray, I got a 65 in 68. Problem is it came with a wife. Don't have either one now.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/14/15 7:24 p.m.
T.J. wrote: My childhood dream car from 3rd grade on was a 911 and I have not owned one. Heck, I've not ever even sat in one since 3rd grade which was somewhere back in the 70's. I don't plan to own one at this point as they just don't interest me that way they did then and the prices of the aircooled ones have gone nuts.

Wow! I could have written that!

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/14/15 7:32 p.m.

Yes and no. If years ago someone had told me that I'd someday design and build a car from scratch I wouldn't have believed them, so in that respect, yes. On the other hand I've always wanted to build an 80's-style IMSA car... still thinking about that one.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
12/14/15 7:33 p.m.

have it

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/14/15 7:37 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Pimpin. I drove one of those a few times. It was way too easy to turn the big fat tires into noise and smoke.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
12/14/15 7:39 p.m.

For some reason my childhood dream car was a Fiero Formula.

I've since come to my senses.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
12/14/15 7:44 p.m.

My '92 Ford Mustang notchback was my dream car and I loved owning it.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
12/14/15 7:45 p.m.

I don't remember "childhood dream car", but I've been wanting an 80's Porsche 911 for a very long time now. At this point, I don't see it ever happening.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/14/15 7:48 p.m.

55 Chev. Bought it when I was 18 as a shell, built a killer street rod, then sold it when I got married/had kids. That's why I still have my 03 challenge car. Said I'd never do that again.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
12/14/15 7:50 p.m.

My childhood dream car was the '69 Firebird. One of my grandparents' siblings' sons had a pair of them out at their farm in Burton, Ohio, and when we would go to visit, I'd sit out in the yard and just look at them. I still think the design is just plain perfect, aesthetically.

Between the Porsche-like appreciation of 1st-gen F-bodies, and having actually had to work on F-bodies and drive them, and the special hells involved with Pontiac V8s in just about anything (especially with a 4-speed where the header, starter, and Z-bar all want the same spot)... I'm good.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/14/15 7:54 p.m.

The first car I wanted was a 1968-1972 Cutlass 442. I worked for a contractor that owned an orange 1972 (??) Cutlass Supreme convertible, factory rallye wheels, white interior and top. For some reason I liked that car.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
12/14/15 7:55 p.m.

When I was a kid I wanted a lotus esprit in the worst way, haven't had one yet. I've had most of the other car's I lusted after (many I've still got )

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/14/15 7:55 p.m.

sadly have owned one of both. i had low dreams being they were a 78-83 regal and a t top foxbody.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
12/14/15 8:01 p.m.

I don't remember what car I would specifically call my childhood dream car, as I changed my mind a lot.

I am however sure that I've never owned it.

Some of the major lust cars; Saleen S351 mustang, C4 ZR1, a Daytona Coupe, and a Panoz roadster.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
12/14/15 8:03 p.m.

I do, kinda. My love affair with cars started later than most of the folks here (7th or 8th grade), and it started from a video game: Gran Turismo 2. My favorite car in the game was the Evo VI Tommi Makinen Edition.

Since we can't legally get an Evo VI here yet...

I have to "settle" for a X MR. I know this is the "Fat Elvis" version of the Evo (and the last. pours out a 40 weight). I don't care. I've meet my hero. I own my hero. And it still kicks 32 flavors of ass!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/14/15 8:05 p.m.
SeanC wrote: I don't remember "childhood dream car", but I've been wanting an 80's Porsche 911 for a very long time now. At this point, I don't see it ever happening.

That's what I wanted. I had a chance to buy a really clean one owner '84 for $11,000 in 2003. I had enough cash in savings, but I was laid off and had a mortgage at the time. I did the "responsible" thing and passed on the car. That car probably appreciated in value more than house did.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
12/14/15 8:08 p.m.

I grew up loving to go for rides in my older cousin's MGB. I also really liked that commercial where the TR7(the shape of things to come) would drive into the wedge shaped garage at the end. I've had a dozen or so MGBs, 10 TR8s, and another 30 or so TR7s. So my answer to that question is yes, definitely yes.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/14/15 8:13 p.m.

I will never own my childhood dream car. Lotus Europas and I are not built to go together. I am 6'2" the pedals don't go back far emough.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
12/14/15 8:22 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I do, kinda. My love affair with cars started later than most of the folks here (7th or 8th grade)

Heh. When I was in 7th or 8th grade (say 1990ish), I discovered that if I used one of the clear plastic Bic pens to launch a spitball with, the hole in the side meant I could mimic a Grand National pre-spooling the turbo before launching at the dragstrip. WhhhhhHHHHHPOW!

I was a dork.

Now I get to play with Grand Nationals a lot of days, and get paid for it. This career move happened mostly by accident. I happened to think of that past today, what a weird trip it's been getting from there to here. I'm not sure if I'd want to own one myself, though, I'm not the current demographic.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
12/14/15 8:35 p.m.

photo 2015-12-14 21.30.29_zpsvpxoufzc.png

Nope, I think I'll still pursue it one day though.

68TR250
68TR250 New Reader
12/14/15 8:37 p.m.

I still have it, my TR250.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lGTMUd96p1vaQvzohXVsFDJKWr57QQDF9i9OQLGKvwvbqbRYbnWqPHobxVdnuXPT