1 2 3 4
spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/15/15 6:10 a.m.

No.

I most people my age, the first lustmobile was a mid 60s Corvette. Then I got a little more sophisticated and switched to the E-type Jaguar. Later while in high school it became the 70 240Z, which is what I would buy today if I could find one worth it.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/15/15 6:34 a.m.

My dream car was a testarossa, which transitioned into a 550 maranello later on. So that's a non-starter, especially after seeing the ownership experience of a 348 by the CEO at work which culminated in "this isn't berkeleying worth it, I'm buying a Vantage".

My other childhood dream car is the original NSX. I came close on that one but I might have missed there too as values keep climbing the last few years.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/15/15 6:56 a.m.

I had a lot of dream cars, but only one poster on my wall. I'm 99% certain it was the RUF Yellowbird 911, though all I knew at the time was that it was a yellow Porsche.
Mine's red and a different generation, but close enough.
I still get goosebumps every time I open the garage door or walk out of a store and see it there in the parking lot.

mapper
mapper Reader
12/15/15 7:08 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
EricM wrote: Never meet your heroes. They can not possibly live up to what you built up in your head.
+1. Other than cartoon fantasies (I also wanted a Mach V when I was 6), my first "real" dream car was a '69 Dodge Charger (General Lee). Then in 1990 I had the opportunity to buy a 383BB/AT replica and test-drove it. Wow, what a terrible car to drive, even by 1990 standards (my car at the time was a '82 Subaru GL 4WD wagon). It was fast - in a straight line - but anything that even resembled a corner was sketchy as hell. Even if taken at low speeds. While I wish I would have bought it (mainly because at $2200 is was so cheap compared to what a running Charger goes for these days), I am also fairly certain I would have wrecked it as a 20 year old who barely knew how to drive. Since that test drive, the idea of Pro Touring cars has been in my mind. I really wanted that car (and still do) but in a form that will go around a corner at a reasonable speed. As far as actually owning a car I lusted after - yes. In 1991 I went to the Auto Show with some friends. I was in the Acura area and fell in love with the 2nd gen Integra. 5 years later, I would buy one that would serve as my DD for the next 6 years and 150K miles until the body started falling apart. I wish I still had that car. I would have kept it as a AX/track car.
Andy Neuman wrote: Not a fan of the attention of driving one.
It's funny... while I'm pretty much an introvert, I don't really mind my cars getting attention. It's rare when I drive my classic Mini around and don't get some reaction to it. Similar with the GT6 and Spitfire.

Plus 1000000

My dream car through high school was a 69 charger. I finally bought one when I turned eighteen. Granted it was in poor shape but still, what a letdown. My next dream car was a 65-66 fastback Mustang. Saw a yellow one while in Basic and the show Spenser for Hire cemented my want. Finally bought a 66 and put a lot of money into it but it was till just a pretty body on a horrible chassis.

Now I want a SRT 392 Challenger. New with a warranty.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/15/15 7:12 a.m.

NO. Was always an E-Type jag. Once I met the car and the owner groups, the desire went away. They are entertaining cars to work on, but not at my expense.

whenry
whenry Reader
12/15/15 7:39 a.m.

I have owned 3 different 911's and my only disappointment with the last car was how badly it compares to modern vehicles. A mid-80's 911 was considered a performance car but 227hp can only go so far compared to the other cars out there today. I doubt that I will be able to afford another air cooled car and the water cooled cars despite their abilities just dont interest me.

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
12/15/15 8:02 a.m.
RedGT wrote: My other childhood dream car is the original NSX. I came close on that one but I might have missed there too as values keep climbing the last few years.

Oh man... how could I have forgotten this one in my list! I remember in the brochure there was a black one with off-white leather that I wanted so badly.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/15/15 8:53 a.m.

I wanted a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, full-on Pro Touring build. Yeah, I'll be able to afford that never.

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
12/15/15 9:11 a.m.

Nope...and probably will never get the chance unless I win the lotto or God drops a bunch of money my lap...I grew up in the 70's, but my dad taught me a great appreciation for prewar stuff and "high end" stuff that I'll never be able to get. Duesenberg's and Auburn's were my dream cars along with a 300sl gullwing Mercedes. Now that I'm older I've ...readjusted those dreams to more realistic dreams for the normal guy that I am. Early 911, 240z's, and muscle cars now fill the thoughts and dreams.

....but if I ever did instantly become Jay Leno or the like... I'd probably have his car collection too.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
12/15/15 9:34 a.m.

I have a few from mine:

70s Trans Am

80s Porsche 911 turbo and regular 911

65 Riviera

early beetle (thanks Herbie)

Mercedes 560SEC with AMG mods

70s Chevy 4x4...shocker I know but I wanted one ever since I saw Red Dawn.

Still want an Italian exotic and a few others.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/15/15 12:02 p.m.

After reading through all of this I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if weren't for corvettes and porsche 911s a lot of us would have turned into football fans, or woodworkers, or bowlers, or whatever. Porsche and chevrolet owe our wives a lot of money.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
12/15/15 12:33 p.m.
EricM wrote: Never meet your heroes. They can not possibly live up to what you built up in your head.

Like when I got to drive a 440/4sp Road Runner. Or a Stage III 426... ugh can't even remember the model name. Not a Belvedere. Had the huge box intake manifold with twin AFBs and the exhaust manifolds that curled up so high they needed to be removed to adjust the valves. The baddest-ass street machine Ma Mopar made before they unleashed the Hemi.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/15/15 1:41 p.m.

Short of a lottery win, a Countach or any muscle car(hemi powered in particular) is not likely. I may just end up with a CJ/Wrangler. I'm not sure if I still want a t top 3rd gen firebird.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/15/15 1:43 p.m.

Wanted this

but got this

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
12/15/15 1:50 p.m.

My 280zx. Grew up wanting that car and got it as a graduation gift. Now it takes all my money.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
12/15/15 1:52 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

You know how they say "never meet your heroes"? That applies to cars too. As a kid, my favorite car was the 3000gt vr4. I grew up and looked into them. Turns out that v6 is crap. The wiring is a nightmare. The transmission is weak sauce. So I moved on, and thought "wow, a r35 get would be awesome someday!" So I rented one for track driving. I must say, I was a little underwhelmed. Long gears. Rosie O'donnell weight. And leather interior that was ripping at a low 38,000miles. It's sad, cause now I don't know if I will ever spend "good money" on a car. I kinda like my cheap j-tin. My Celica is 30 years old. It's got ONE seat rip. And I sewed it up. I love my old cheap cars.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/15/15 1:55 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: In reply to gearheadmb: You know how they say "never meet your heroes"? That applies to cars too. As a kid, my favorite car was the 3000gt vr4. I grew up and looked into them. Turns out that v6 is crap. The wiring is a nightmare. The transmission is weak sauce.

Weird, I came in here to post exactly this. Finally drove one a decade ago, I was massively underwhelmed.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/15/15 2:01 p.m.

My childhood dream car, thanks to a picture in a book.

The closest I've gotten

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
12/15/15 2:12 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: For some reason my childhood dream car was a Fiero Formula. I've since come to my senses.

Wife got a brand new Fiero in 83 (84 model year) as her 17th Birthday present. Served perfectly for years. She still wont hear anything against them.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/15/15 2:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
bastomatic wrote: For some reason my childhood dream car was a Fiero Formula. I've since come to my senses.
Wife got a brand new Fiero in 83 (84 model year) as her 17th Birthday present. Served perfectly for years. She still wont hear anything against them.

I've always had a little bit of want for a Fiero. Every once in a while I search for them on CL...

Adrian_Thompson
12/15/15 2:21 p.m.

My first dream car was an 'E type Jag. Specifically a series 1.5 4.2L drop top. When I was in school they were £10,000 cars. I figured by the time I got out of Collage in 1990 I'd get a job starting around £10,000, live on £4,000 a year as if I was still in collage for a couple of years and get one. Well by the time I graduated I got a really good job starting at £11,500, but by then nice ones in the UK were worth north of £25,000. This was close to the end of the first big classic bubble. Even after the bubble burst they just weren't realistically affordable once the reality of life and a mortgage set in. Now nice ones are north of $150K.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/15/15 2:26 p.m.

Excuse me, but I seemed to have had another brain fart. Old age is not playing nice.

289 Cobra. No I never have owned one.

Adrian_Thompson
12/15/15 2:26 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: My childhood dream car, thanks to a picture in a book. The closest I've gotten

Dude. Close, you just need some lateral thinking You've got a good base chassis.

Remember this from the challenge?

Start with one of these

Do the same swap and add a Cossie style wing

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/15/15 2:37 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: My childhood dream car, thanks to a picture in a book. The closest I've gotten
Dude. Close, you just need some lateral thinking You've got a good base chassis. Remember this from the challenge? Start with one of these Do the same swap and add a Cossie style wing

Oh believe me, that thought has crossed my mind many times.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/15/15 2:39 p.m.
Cotton wrote: 70s Chevy 4x4...shocker I know but I wanted one ever since I saw Red Dawn.

Still want a square Blazer with a soft top. KC daylighters on the front. I should start shopping.....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmbdnPVfpYoCHw0arZ80yZx7gEOCyrqHenGVQY7khqZkDrqt6MCAHyJQTzxYWYqz