1 2 3 4
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/20/18 11:12 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

What are the weights on a MDT driveline vs a light duty truck diesel? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/20/18 11:18 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Ideally the truck should start out diesel if I want freedom to do whatever I want with the engine.  So maybe an early non-turbo diesel would be a good starting point for a swap.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
12/20/18 11:26 a.m.

So I happen to know a guy with a truck that you might be interested in. It's not 4x4, but could maybe be with time.

It's a 90s(I think) diesel box van, former Snap On truck. Seats could be added, already covered in pegboard and drawers, an actual AC, currently has a lift gate on it that would make loading bikes a breeze. 

It's a heavy truck, tolls could be a concern while towing, it needs a kingpin replaced before it goes anywhere, but Mike has been taking about selling it in the spring because it's bigger than he needs. 

Probably not the best solution, but an idea none the less

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/20/18 11:27 a.m.

An obs Ford with the 6.9 or non turbo 7.3 purchased from the land of no rust would be a great platform.. great axles and huge aftermarket 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/20/18 11:33 a.m.

I drove the Chase Truck in 2 races this year for a buddy who competes in the Best in the Desert series.  His setup is a 7.3 F350 SRW crew cab with a utility bed and a big chase rack extending over the cab. The rack includes a high shelf behind the cab with room for spare tires and a generator. 

In the main bed area he has E-track all over to allow ratchet straps to secure stuff in any configuration you need. We had fuel dump jugs lined up on one side of the bed and plastic totes with spare parts on the other with a large cooler near the tailgate.

The utility bed storage compartments have tools, recovery gear, a welder, fluids, and small spares.  

A lift is really not necessary as a 3/4 or 1 ton truck on 33s or 35s is capable of getting most places and you really want to keep the bed height as low as possible for access.

I really like the utility bed as it is easy to keep things organized and easily accessible.  The advantage to a flatbed is you could have modular storage, in totes or boxes, that you could keep in your garage and only throw them on the truck when you need them whereas with the utility bed, you pretty much end up carrying 90% of your gear with you everywhere you go.

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/20/18 11:38 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

DT466 1425 dry,  DT360 1200lbs dry

Ford 6.4L 1130 w/ oil (15 quarts) 

Ford 6.8L v10 625lbs dry

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/20/18 11:56 a.m.

Well... if you have time, keep browsing Craigslist like I did until you find another one of these:

Then do the off-road upgrades Java did to the Motovan.

Especially since it sounds like your interior needs are not as picky as mine.

(for those who don't remember: 1992, E-350, Turtletop conversion, 7.3 IDI)

80sFast
80sFast New Reader
12/20/18 12:15 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

I like the idea of a flatbed with modular storage. Maybe just a construction jobbox or something along those lines. 

Cummins came out with the crate 4-cylinder, but it sounded like they were going to expand the engine lineup. Maybe they will come out with a crate engine down the road for 3/4-1 tons that would work. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/20/18 1:48 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

If you hadn’t insisted on truck my answer would have been 3/4 ton Suburban.  

Jalopnik's "Nice Price Or Crack Pipe" was a gorgeous GMT-400 Suburban 2500HD with a 454 for $2500 yesterday. Almost wanted to hop a flight to Spokane and drive it back

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/20/18 1:59 p.m.

Somebody had it right with Isuzu NPR with 4x4 conversion. The Cabover trucks can be had up to almost 13 tons and a super reliable turbodiesel. The older ones are also cheaper. Crew cabs were available as were box and flat beds

80sFast
80sFast New Reader
12/20/18 3:36 p.m.

Mitsubishi/Fuso made a 4x4 cabover diesel that’s pretty cool. Not sure what a used one goes for. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
12/20/18 3:54 p.m.

In reply to 80sFast :

Apparently those can be difficult to find. I've got a buddy who works for Earthcruiser and they're always on the hunt for chassis to build on because the supply is so unreliable.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
12/20/18 4:16 p.m.

Nissan Atlas Doublecab of Awesomeness

Ok, so it's a few k over your ten grand limit, and it's probably pretty wheezy when it comes to towing...

80sFast
80sFast New Reader
12/20/18 4:58 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Probably doesn’t bode well for parts availability then. 

80sFast
80sFast New Reader
12/20/18 5:06 p.m.
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
12/20/18 6:28 p.m.

Get a GMC/Chev 1500HD or 2500HD and Mod it.

The 6.0L and 4L80E is pretty damn bulletproof. They will break exhaust manifold studs, but Dorman has a cheap fix. I don't know what its like down there but up here diesel is almost 25 cents a litre more than gas (and has been for a while). The price differential between gassers and diesels is obnoxious.

Mine is a true Crew Cab, 4X4, has approx 150k miles and cost me $2800. Anything with a diesel had at least another 60 k miles on it and was 3 times the price.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/20/18 6:50 p.m.

If I had teh money to do something like that, I might think about doing something more like a overland-style van.

1. Way more interior space, and space to sleep.

2. I prefer an enclosed cargo area for security. Strapping stuff on an open flatbed is asking for theft at rally hotel or whatever. Also keeps your bikes secure rather than sitting out in a pickup bed/flatbed. 

3. Roof space (roof tent,  pop-up,  race viewing, etc)

EDIT: I like the Quigley one a few posts up even better....

IDK, something like this:

Image result for overland van

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/20/18 7:50 p.m.

somebody said DT-466

I can't think about those without remembering when Matt Farrah went to Panama and got a ride on the racing party busses.  

Insane.  Insanely stupid.  Action starts at 11:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2Vu66vSaQ

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/21/18 12:50 p.m.

I have done the same exact thing... wishing for THAT truck that does it all.

I searched for years for a Quigley powerstroke E350.  The only ones I found brought crack-smoking prices, so I then turned my attention to AWD Chevy vans which are a super simple conversion to 4x4.  You replace the AWD xfer case with a 4x4 case and install buttons (or fab up a shifter).  Lift it a tad, put some 33" tires on it and go anywhere.  That little dream never happened.

My other idea was to take a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, fab a flatbed with a removable lumber rack/sideboards.  I would make the lumber rack so that it could support a canvas or vinyl "tent" like a soft cap.  You could go full on flatbed with nothing, haul stones or wood with the side boards, haul long stuff on the rack, throw the "tent" over it and go camping or keep your cargo dry.

You can do what I'm planning as well... Find a York A/C compressor and mount an old CO2 tank or Scuba tank on the frame rail.  Fill it with 300 psi with a regulator to step it down to 125 or so for onboard air.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/21/18 2:54 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

somebody said DT-466

I can't think about those without remembering when Matt Farrah went to Panama and got a ride on the racing party busses.  

Insane.  Insanely stupid.  Action starts at 11:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2Vu66vSaQ

We have vans that operate on the exact same principles by me, called "ZRs." South Africa has something similar too.

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
12/21/18 5:08 p.m.
Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
12/25/18 7:09 p.m.

no crew cab on it right now, but that can change

https://www.cabbacks.com/trucks-for-sale

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
12/26/18 12:10 a.m.

2002 GMC Quigley 4x4 Short Bus - $5800 (Moriarty, NM)

Should fit the bill. It's a bit ugly at the moment. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
12/26/18 11:00 p.m.

I'm in the process of redoing my camper van so it functions as my race central. Building a garage space in the back to hold tools and all the things I need track side. 

Besides all the stuff listed I also want somewhere to shower and do basic cooking. I had considered converting to 4wd, so I did some research and the cost was pretty reasonable. 

I'm trying to make my van the forever tow vehicle as well so I totally get this post.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
1/6/19 7:13 p.m.

I kinda dig this thing - NMNA...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l0Yv8lzRa0cp7lmjPwvNm0ncresRlJM1WsNRuemzM5OFH5wrU83Rlxs5EHpNlmad