1 2 3
scrowner
scrowner None
11/15/08 8:37 p.m.

I was encouraged by November GRM where they purchased a vehicle for around $5K and got it racing. So, I want to do the same. That is, buy a vehicle to take out track racing and if available do a bit of autocross. But there are so many choices on autotrader! I have little experience turning a vehicle into something track ready but I am keen to do so. I am thinking to stay between $5K and $10K.

What ride should I focus on? Should I be interested in rides with racing mods already done?

Thanks for the ideas.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
11/15/08 9:14 p.m.

e-30? any honda?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/15/08 9:16 p.m.

a BIG yes on something with the mods already done. modifications rarely increase the resale value of a car, so you save alot of money vs buying a car AND buying the parts AND installing the parts..

do you like FWD or RWD (or AWD, but this tends to get expensive.)

RWD considerations- E30 BMW, Miata, RX7(go early), MR2, Fiat X-19.. (list can go on)

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
11/15/08 9:37 p.m.

A good 1gn neon(95-99) gets my vote. Cheap, easy to fix, easy to find, and the whole world has been there before.

M427
M427 New Reader
11/15/08 10:55 p.m.

Go to your local track and talk to people. Sit in cars, watch them on the track, and decide if you want to race or do TT events. Then buy something from some on at the track and you will save $$.. Used race cars are used race cars and in this economy 10K will get you a lot of used race car.

P71
P71 HalfDork
11/16/08 12:31 a.m.

C4 Corvette.

/thread

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
11/16/08 12:40 a.m.

Fiat X1/9

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/16/08 12:42 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Fiat X1/9

I knew you'd say that lol.

scrowner
scrowner New Reader
11/16/08 9:28 a.m.

Thanks for the tips:

recommended

1 Honda (looking at Integra, many, low $4k)

2 Fiat X1/9 (none found )

1 C4 Corvette (84-96, many, low $7K)

1 Miata (I want only hard top - available? MX5?)

1 MR2 (only T-tops - is this OK for track? low $4k)

1 RX7 (many, low $6K, looking at only hard top)

2 Neon (really? 2 door only, few found, low $2K)

2 BMW E30 (very expensive parts and repairs - no?)

1 race track purchase (nice idea)

I have no preference in which drive. But most I have looked at are FWD. My list is:

no rag tops, coupe only, any drive, < $10K closer to $5K (just a goal, not a pocket problem)

M427
M427 New Reader
11/16/08 9:49 a.m.

1999-2002 LS1 CAMARO EVO VIII - IX SUB WRX - STI Any Mustang GT Or Swap an LS motor into anything RWD (Old M5 = M427) FWD :( RWD:) AWD:)

scrowner
scrowner New Reader
11/16/08 4:04 p.m.

Just a quick analysis of member rides and the hope I can get help reveals the following top 3 from the former list:

1. Miata
  2. MR2
  3. RX7

I am leaning toward the MR2 as there seems to be a push here for RWD and the car is interesting. I have a few questions on the MR2:

1. Is "snap oversteer" something to push the purchase to '93 or newer?

2. Is a mid engine on this car difficult to work on?

3. Are there issues with T-Bar tops that tracks are concerned with? Is there an easy solution to the track issues?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/16/08 4:27 p.m.

It's my understanding the 2nd gen MR2s are "twitchier" than the 1st gens, though that's purely hearsay.

If your budget is $5-10k, I'd be looking at $3k as the max purchase price of the car. This gives you a lot more freedom to put in the proper safety gear.

I'd stick with known popular chassis - this ensures availability of parts, and keeps the price on those parts down. A Mustang may not be the best handler out of the box, but I can name four companies off the top of my head that will sell you full replacement suspensions that will make one embarrass a 911. You could pick up a 5.0 LX hatchback for around $2500, put $4k into the suspension, $2k into safety gear, and have a competitive and fun car that will let you do a lot of different events.

scrowner
scrowner New Reader
11/16/08 8:29 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: It's my understanding the 2nd gen MR2s are "twitchier" than the 1st gens, though that's purely hearsay. If your budget is $5-10k, I'd be looking at $3k as the max purchase price of the car. This gives you a lot more freedom to put in the proper safety gear.

Thanks for info. What I have gathered on MR2 is that it existed up to 92 and 93 they made a few modifications to help prevent the situation. (This is discussed on wiki.)

Yep, I plan on additional $ for various safety gear. I did a quick search for those items GRM indicates are important for track days. MR2 has a bunch of sites available and the prices seem reasonable.

I see your point about getting american. I put the Mustang up the ladder in my track experience. The Mustang reader selection is still after the RX7 in reader's rides - not that it means anything. Just a way for me to make a decision.

Still interested in comments on the following:

1. Is a mid engine on this car difficult to work on?

2. Are there issues with T-Bar tops that tracks are concerned with? Is there an easy solution to the track issues?

P71
P71 HalfDork
11/16/08 8:45 p.m.
  1. Extremely. Hope you have skinny arms and a lot of wobble joints for your sockets.

2. Yes and no. In drag racing it's treated the same as a convertible, requiring more safety gear at a lower speed. I would stick with hardtops only.

I continue to suggest C4 Corvette. It has the engine, trans, rear, suspension, and brakes to deal with track days right out of the box, is easily found in your price range with a hardtop, and is cheaply maintained.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/16/08 9:02 p.m.

I love the MR2, but for my money, a former ITA Civic or Golf can't be beat for a lo-cost track car. Cheap, plentiful parts, lot's of support and knowledge, and either can be wicked fast. Second pick would be Miata or Neon, lost of support for both. The Miata is the only choice if you want to eventuall move to a Mustang or F-Body and some more power.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/16/08 9:14 p.m.

VDub

Honda

Or perhaps a Sentra: Sentra

scrowner
scrowner New Reader
11/18/08 3:22 p.m.

The process of selecting a car for track days is a bit harder than I thought. My original 3 selections: Miata, MR2, and RX7, I am eliminating for one reason or another.

So, back to the recommended list with the previous eliminated:

1. Honda
  2. C4 vette
  3. Neon
  4. M30 BMW
  5. racetrack purchase.

pinchvalve opened my eyes to what is possible in a race car purchase. One of those would require a tow vehicle and car trailer to be added into the price. But still, the price is reasonable for something track ready.

I am leaning in the direction of the list order above as I have Honda connections. However the C4 is nice and cheap and RWD. So to focus my selection no rag/t-top, it is a bonus if the car has had some modifications, somewhere around $5K, prefer a coupe.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
11/18/08 3:29 p.m.

1994-1997 Miata with hardtop and decent mileage - $3000-$4000

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/18/08 4:00 p.m.

I would search for a pre-built racer. I bet you can be in a track-ready car for $5K

Does the GRM Marketplace still exisit? I could not find the link.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/18/08 5:06 p.m.

When you say "track racing", what are you actually looking to do? HPDE? Time trial? Or wheel-to-wheel? Do you have previous track experience?

HPDE - Find what you like. Anything recommended above is good. I love my Miata. It is more fun than my BMW.

TT - Pretty much the same as HPDE, but you'll need more safety gear

Wheel-to-wheel - Go to some events. Figure out what series you'd like to do with which organization. Pick an inexpensive and popular spec series. Spec E30, Spec 944, and Spec Focus are pretty cheap. Spec Miata runs the gammut in price.

The answer around here is "Miata". And it's the answer for good reason. You can pick up a removable hard top for any Miata pretty easily. Prices are generally set at $800~$1200.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
11/18/08 6:05 p.m.

Salanis +1. Decide what you want to do, then choose a car that is suited to it. There are nearly limitless options; I'd suggest very different cars based on your autocross-to-trackday ratio.

If you're really gung-ho about on-track events, a used race car like a Spec E30 BMW or Porsche Cup 944 makes a lot of sense. On track, a cage is a nice thing to have, especially if you're still learning.

FWIW, I know a certain magazine staff member (cough...ScottLear...cough) that's working toward selling a sorted Spec E30-class BMW that should fall in your price range.

A lot of track-duty cars could be kept (or made) street legal to avoid the need for a tow rig, but it's nice to not have to worry about how to get home if you make a mistake or suffer a cospatial event.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
11/18/08 8:25 p.m.

I'm going to take a road less traveled here and say Zx2. Cheap parts plentily available, decent handling out of the box (even more with some springs and a rear bar), more grunt than a Civic and can be had all day long for $2k-$4k

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
11/18/08 8:58 p.m.

You need to determine whether you want FWD or RWD and then shop for a deal (they're VERY different under track conditions). I wouldn't rule out any cars unless you simply don't fit or they are more costly to run than you would like.

I would also vote for buying a track ready car, in the long run it's cheaper and you'll be on the track sooner. Just buy a good one and stay away from crap. Look closely at the cage if it has one. I've seen plenty I wouldn't drive around the block in the welding was so bad. I can't stress enough how important an inspection is by someone that knows, so take someone with you that's not emotionally involved.

As for car choices, I'm a former MR2 racer (ITA), and the snap oversteer is greatly exagerated, in fact, most understeer. It could be very competitive next year in ITB. That said, if you don't mind FWD, it's really hard to ignore a good CRX. That would probably be my first choice over even a Miata. Fun, quick and with awesome handling. An E30 would also be a good choice, and although I love my 944, they are going to be more expensive to keep, so that would be something to keep in mind.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
11/18/08 9:09 p.m.

Cheap neons: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=329767 http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=322965 http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=327840

There are many more like that and some even cheaper. I have found a few around here that once you sold off all the extra weight you could make a profit on buying the car. As for a basic track set-up I like Konis and high rates with a 20mm front bar for auto-x, might want the 22 for track work though with a 16mm rear bar all but the springs are stock parts

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/18/08 9:14 p.m.

I'm going to say, If you want cheap, buy whatever you can that is already prepped and sorted. Race Cars go for cheap. You would be surprised at what $2-4k will buy you if you are patient. The brand/type of car doesn't matter.. just get out there.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9ADz2tLbT52IxjkmjBlfCvkFQTZLdWoe0D8kNW3a1lN1Stnra85uLD6sB0TjIGbz