jh36
jh36 Dork
6/2/22 5:32 a.m.

If you're not following along in the songbook, here's the whole story....

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/gen-1-camaroasa-stock-car-build/177739/page1/

The latest news is, I have a cracked block.  To get back on track, I need a 5.7 LS1 block....me being me, I'm most comfortable acquiring said item from this group so I'm starting here.  The more local to Maryland/Delaware/Virginia the better, but I can try to get creative and invoke the GRM relay as well if needed.  I realize these items are fairly common, but again, i'd rather keep it in the family if possible, plus....getting a response from the locals continues to be a time suck.

Thanks!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/2/22 3:59 p.m.

Bumping to get more eyeballs on this post.

Best of luck to you.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/2/22 4:03 p.m.

I mean... I know where there's one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/2/22 4:04 p.m.

And, following up, did you ever determine or at least theorize a root cause? Did it just get old and die or was thee something inside the motor that helped it along? Certainly relevant to my interests.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
6/2/22 4:04 p.m.

A LM4/L33 aluminum block would be another option to consider. They have thick cylinder walls and can be bored out from 3.780" to the LS1/LS6 3.898"

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/2/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thanks Colin for the bump...

JG,  I mean...aren't you using the one I think you are alluding to?  Cause if you're not........

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/2/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I will be pulling everything out this weekend and may learn more....either it just got old and tired and went OR when my driveshaft tried to come out of its cage to kill me, it could have caused some stress.  There are no independent transmission mounts...it all just ties in to the bell housing. 

The jolt in the moment was significant, and the leak happened just after, so I can connect some dots there.  I'm going to take a careful look at the trans while i'm poking around.

EDIT  I am hoping to get the engine torn down quickly....I will be posting any forensic evidence I find.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/2/22 4:26 p.m.

What happened to using the C5's bottom end?

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/2/22 6:21 p.m.

The family was of the opinion that the c5 would never roll under its own power again...because I have a reputation. 
It's not unjustified. 

Johnny_at_NineLives
Johnny_at_NineLives New Reader
6/2/22 7:08 p.m.

I got one. I have it listed for 2500 but for a WangGang I'll cut a deal. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/2/22 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Johnny_at_NineLives :

Sweet...message being crafted now!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/22 8:30 p.m.
jh36 said:

The family was of the opinion that the c5 would never roll under its own power again...because I have a reputation. 
It's not unjustified. 

You too, eh?

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/3/22 5:52 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
jh36 said:

It's not unjustified. 

You too, eh?

Yep...good to have company. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/3/22 2:48 p.m.

A deal has been done!

Johnny_at_NineLives has a complete, functional LS1 from a C5 and we have made a deal!  Now, I just need to get down to GA and make the score.  This might change things...heck, I could just toss the engine in the Camaro and see how that works, then build it up with the ASA heads, cam, etc. over the summer.  We'll see how we feel as we start down the path.

This weekend I hope to pull the old engine out.  I'm hoping to get to Johnny's place by the end of the month and start the build.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/22 9:40 a.m.

Love it when a plan comes together. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/7/22 6:28 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Love it when a plan comes together. 

Yes indeed...I'm sorting out the details now. Fuel just hit $6/gal and I figure Atlanta and back is well over a grand. Crate and freight might be the ticket. I think an LS is a bit large for a GRM relay. 
Edit: just did the math. $950 for fuel. $20 for coffee. $1.99 for a bag of chips. Napping at rest stops: free. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9g3cAd3186BhIrG5r4vQhEJlfXMmmg5eHET9EfQaqSz8CFVwQibX9z1N9aiW9Eb0