1 2 3
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
9/21/09 7:57 a.m.

Sweet! This thread has made me want to do a home-built turbo set up on my 944.

Sounds like you've got a weak alternator and a stuck thermostat. No matter how good the radiator cools, the thermostat shouldn't open until 180 or so.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/21/09 8:44 a.m.

Look at the dates - those problems were corrected a while back. And yes - you nailed the diagnosis. Oddly enough, a Stant thermostat didn't fix it, but a Honda OEM one did. Weird...

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/21/09 9:13 a.m.

just for comparison, what kinda drivetrain/chassis combos are you running against? (weights and HP/Torque numbers?) would a eg hatch with a K20/k24 be competitive? (I have a buddy with the motor and the tranny, but doesn't know if it would be worth it)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/21/09 10:21 a.m.

The car that beat mine at Nationals was a CR-VTEC powered EG. It was nicely done, but I honestly think my car was faster. He outdrove us.

Mine is right at 2000#, so 10#/HP. For reference, this should be just shy of a C5 Z06, but quite a bit better than a standard C5. The Vette obviously puts the power down better though.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/22/09 8:51 a.m.

ahh! I will have to let him know! thanks!

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
9/24/09 3:59 p.m.

How are your axles doing with all the HP? I noticed that summit if having a sale on the stage 1 axles for your car, $132 each side, in case you need something beefier then stock....

Andrew

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/24/09 4:10 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: How are your axles doing with all the HP? I noticed that summit if having a sale on the stage 1 axles for your car, $132 each side, in case you need something beefier then stock.... Andrew

I popped a stock axle after a number of events. Exploded the ball retaining cage in the outer CV. I then went with some Drag Axles from Insane Shafts, and I've been quite pleased with them.

midknight
midknight Reader
9/24/09 4:40 p.m.

I nominate DILYSI Dave's hatch for a magazine feature!!!

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
10/10/09 1:50 p.m.

Hey Dave how are you liking that clutch?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/10/09 3:34 p.m.

Clutch is just fine. Even launching in second sometimes, it's had zero issues. Very pleased with it. The low price is a bonus.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
10/14/09 12:00 a.m.

sweet! Hopefully I'll see you at CoC/BoR this weekend!

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
10/14/09 8:43 a.m.

what kinda red line do you have set on this thing?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/14/09 10:16 p.m.
sobe_death wrote: sweet! Hopefully I'll see you at CoC/BoR this weekend!

You will.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/14/09 10:18 p.m.
Autolex wrote: what kinda red line do you have set on this thing?

I spin it to 8,000 RPM if need be. The power is rolling off pretty good up there, so unless there is a good reason not to, I will generally shift. It pulls harder in 3rd than most Civics do in 2nd, so shifting isn't really a penalty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oyAwextYDdeo3oh2WB6uLsM1KdaK1iMYCB2nxVEdgZ7aBeVtx545w2G8hLvvsh4h