Jay
Jay UltraDork
10/13/16 9:17 p.m.

There's one of these local to me for a three digit price. Seems like it could be a potential fix-and-flip. It looks decent in the photos, and cars don't rust here.

So... is this a one person with a jack & stands in a garage job, or much worse? And how expensive are the parts?

Ojala
Ojala HalfDork
10/13/16 9:30 p.m.

The exedy clutch kit is the one to get and the last one I bought was $165. It's not bad as clutch jobs go. Definitely not as bad as a 944 clutch but not as easy as a Saab 900.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/13/16 9:59 p.m.

Assuming it is the same as a 97 2.2L impreza it is not to bad. I think I followed a how-to on form a 2.5RS forum?

It is nice to have tall jackstands for the front. It was a real pain getting the engine and trans apart. Worse than a miata but I think it might have been easier than my protege.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
10/13/16 10:01 p.m.

I did one on a 97 Forester (I imagine pretty similar) a few years back. We found it easier to actually scoot the motor forward in our situation rather than remove everything from rear but that was with two guys. Overall though, we had everything out with new parts in, in a matter of an evening.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
10/13/16 11:18 p.m.

Not hard at all, relatively speaking. As has been hinted above, it is much easier to remove the engine from the top and do the job than it is to remove the transmission from the bottom.

Subarus are one of the few vehicles where I would much rather do an engine pull than a trans. It's easy to see why when you see how accessible everything is.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
10/13/16 11:19 p.m.

I've put clutches in both mine and my wife's 2.2 powered Imprezas. Super easy job, I pulled the engine on both.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/14/16 5:10 a.m.

When I changed one in a Legacy wagon it was real easy. Take the long trans bolts, put them in the holes where the short ones came out. Slide the trans back then I changed the clutch from the top. Didn't even remove the front axles, just the rear driveshaft. It was the easiest clutch job I have ever done.

I have no experience with an Impreza.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/14/16 11:52 a.m.

If you live where things rust at all, don't bother with trying to pull the trans. There are a lot of undercar fasteners that become permanent, like the pinion shield bolts.

Engine comes out super easy. Engine goes back in super easy. If they have never been separated, you WILL need to chisel the two apart.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/14/16 4:44 p.m.

Pull the motor out, it probably needs several seals and a timing belt anyways.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
10/14/16 7:18 p.m.

Thanks for that guys. Am waiting to hear back from the seller; I want to go see it this weekend if PNW Stormageddon doesn't get in the way. I think I'll have a wad of cash in my pocket if I go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNMBopY49ZYBXTh17gphWtG2KrqEVkPzUe0aO2qsV3o8qvp9gHvsh7u55cjn7EMB