8 9 10
Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/15/14 6:23 p.m.

That sounds fair, though it's still a shame that it ever had to come to this.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/15/14 6:24 p.m.

What did they have to shell out for the 2005?

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
7/15/14 6:27 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I see it like this: It's over and I never need to hear about it again. The shop has a car they can sell to recover a lot of their money. He has one of the nicest examples of his "dream car" with the same loan as before, so he is ahead. I spent $2000 to upgrade his car a year and drop 70K miles, and I am OK with that.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
7/15/14 9:34 p.m.

Well played. I think it's a great resolution.

sanman
sanman Reader
7/15/14 9:53 p.m.

Sounds like a good deal! Now as a resident of Maryland with an MR2 that needs paint, care to share any body shops I shouldn't be taking my car to for a repaint?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/15/14 9:59 p.m.

Is the shop still working on any of your other cars? I think at one point you said they had the Mini and maybe something else.

ridiqls
ridiqls New Reader
7/16/14 1:37 a.m.

Damn S2000s are appreciating in value and you just snagged one with 19k miles for only $2000 (and stress ha) Very well done.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/16/14 6:32 a.m.
ridiqls wrote: Damn S2000s are appreciating in value and you just snagged one with 19k miles for only $2000 (and stress ha) Very well done.

He/His son also had to give up a 2004 S2000.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/16/14 7:21 a.m.
ridiqls wrote: Damn S2000s are appreciating in value and you just snagged one with 19k miles for only $2000 (and stress ha) Very well done.

Yep. I was thinking about ditching the NC for an S2000. Then I realized they are commanding even more then they were at the beginning of last spring.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
7/16/14 7:24 a.m.

Seems to be a great outcome.

Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Additionally, this escapade is a $2K lesson to his son. Which will be priceless in the long run.

What's the lesson to his son? The kid wanted the emblems removed and went to a shop that had / was doing other work for the family and they screwed him? What did his son do wrong in the first place he needed to be taught a lesson?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/16/14 8:41 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Seems to be a great outcome.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Additionally, this escapade is a $2K lesson to his son. Which will be priceless in the long run.
What's the lesson to his son? The kid wanted the emblems removed and went to a shop that had / was doing other work for the family and they screwed him? What did his son do wrong in the first place he needed to be taught a lesson?
  1. learn how to debadge car yourself.
  2. debadging cars is silly.
  3. How to handle poor situations like a rational human instead of yelling and flinging poo.
  4. Trust noone in a business deal unless it is in writing.
  5. Lawyers are horrible, but useful.

would you like me to keep going.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
7/16/14 8:46 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
1. learn how to debadge car yourself. 2. debadging cars is silly. 3. How to handle poor situations like a rational human instead of yelling and flinging poo. 4. Trust noone in a business deal unless it is in writing. 5. Lawyers are horrible, but useful. would you like me to keep going.

Not being mechanically minded, or especially body work minded is not a crime. I didn't see the kid flinging poo or lawyering up, that was dad and I'd have done the same. And criticizing someone’s taste in car mods on a site dedicated to the extreme fringe of the fringe of the fringe of the automotive hobby calls into mind kettle and black.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
7/16/14 8:52 a.m.

Sounds like the 2005 replacement was the best possible outcome you could have asked for. It sucks to be out $2,000 that wasn't your fault, but you probably would have paid that much in lawyer fees and not had this resolved for months and months anyway.

bigev007
bigev007 New Reader
7/16/14 9:25 a.m.

So is this your listing, or theirs? Or Coincidence? Or am I way off base?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/16/14 10:42 a.m.
bigev007 wrote: So is this your listing, or theirs? Or Coincidence? Or am I way off base?

if that's not it we are probably in the Twilight Zone.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Dork
7/16/14 11:50 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
bigev007 wrote: So is this your listing, or theirs? Or Coincidence? Or am I way off base?
That is the 2004, they listed it using his old photos (gotta love it). They paid $21K for the 2005.

< troll.>

Even their craigslist ad is amateur-ish ("...Will post better pictures later...")

< / Troll >

Very well done.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
7/16/14 11:58 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
1. learn how to debadge car yourself. 2. debadging cars is silly. 3. How to handle poor situations like a rational human instead of yelling and flinging poo. 4. Trust noone in a business deal unless it is in writing. 5. Lawyers are horrible, but useful. would you like me to keep going.

The OP and his son both seem to have handled the situation quite well, IMO. They neither yelled nor flung poo, at least that was evidenced here. A shop they did not hire, or even know about, (poorly) repainted their car without their knowledge, much less approval. The shop they did hire lied about it. Given the circumstances, I'm amazed the OP and his son were (seemingly) as calm as they were.

sanman
sanman Reader
7/16/14 1:01 p.m.

Wow, I think I just figured out who this is. He is recommended as a collision center for several high end OEMs. I wonder if they are getting their cars painted at Maaco without their knowledge.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/16/14 1:03 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: The OP and his son both seem to have handled the situation quite well, IMO. They neither yelled nor flung poo, at least that was evidenced here.

Totally 100% agreed. Best lesson ever.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/16/14 2:25 p.m.

...and the craigslist ad has been pulled

sanman
sanman Reader
7/16/14 2:34 p.m.

Because the car is being sold today.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
7/16/14 3:00 p.m.

What was the ballpark legal cost? (if you dint mind me asking).

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iEwqlXhrsPSBJuywyp7AcZAYO8chaNM9XtI4wRQdS6530MUQcFyK3AHUSe0Hvoe0