tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
12/15/22 6:18 a.m.

Anybody got anything to say about these cars?  Wife blew the transmission in her Saturn Vue, so we needed to find her a car fast.  We have been making due by driving our daughter's car, but she comes home from Europe today.  My wife wants another SUV, but finding one that wasn't ridiculously expensive with high mileage proved impossible on short notice.  A fellow British car club member was tasked with selling an 09 with 33,000 miles after the owner passed away.  He assured me the car was mint, always garaged, and old man owned since new, so I took his word for it and bought the car last night.... in the dark with no test drive.  Wife just drove it home, and took off in the thing this morning.  All in the dark.  Can't wait to see it, and drive it.  Only thing she would say about the car was that she still wanted a SUV and I should keep looking.  She works at a supermarket, and her cars become a magnet for shopping carts.  Buying new or nearly new is not an option.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/15/22 7:25 a.m.

They are really nice cars. I drove an early one and liked it. Nothing really special just a well appointed up scale car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/15/22 8:03 a.m.

I see them listed with 150-200k miles pretty cheap. Gotta mean something. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/15/22 4:34 p.m.

They aren't terrible. The base models (leather, slicktop, seat heaters) were rental cars for a while, which helped keep prices down. The fact that the later models 5.0L was better in almost every way also helped

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/15/22 5:01 p.m.

Take off the badges and the world will guess it is more car than it is. Not that it's bland but just that it is a mash of styling cues from various marquees. 

Buick Lesabre levels of comfort (and I like Buick Lesabres.)

A large step up from a Saturn Vue. Not a step up in terms of ride height but I'll bet with seat lifted, it's not a lot lower seating than Vue.  A big step in prestige, noise reduction and ride comfort. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/15/22 6:23 p.m.

If you decide to sell after finding a suitable SUV I might be interested.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
1/8/23 11:12 a.m.

After three weeks of owning this car, all I can say is wow.  This thing was an amazing deal for what it offers.  Cheap, powerful, smooth, luxurious, tons of back seat and trunk space.  Daughter needs a new grown up car instead of the Mini Cooper that got her thru college.  I am looking for another one, maybe even one of the SUV models for her.  Looks like there are a bunch of them in the higher priced neighborhoods in Florida.  Plan is to do a fly and drive.  Most likely her and a friend, or her and her sister.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/8/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd :

Glad to hear this is working out. Does your wife still want an SUV or is she happy with the lux sedan?

I'm gonna guess that no one, like neighbors or friends, has properly identified what the car is.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
1/9/23 7:35 a.m.

She still wants a SUV.  During the summer she likes to be able to load the kayak on the roof and go for a paddle after work without depending on my truck.   A SUV really does suite her life style better.  Her commute to work is only 8 miles so gas mileage isn't a concern, and its nice to have something big if needed.  Two adult children, luggage, camping gear, etc tend to take up a lot of space.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/9/23 8:39 a.m.

I think a roof rack kayak on a luxury sedan would be choice. 

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
1/9/23 4:29 p.m.
dculberson said:

I think a roof rack kayak on a luxury sedan would be choice. 

Or do what I did and install a hitch / put together a cheap utility trailer.  I tow my kayaks around with my Miata.  No more lifting the boats up onto the roof is nice, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GzAQNMuQiApTwxk7Xs3v6RxqBp4zaOYBn7Na9jVwWFOykWjZTxt3WkGG2EaCKVWO