1 2
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/6/14 12:12 p.m.

After stumbling across the trick black turbo'd V6 Bravada discussed here...

Today I stumbled upon another sleeper of a black GM SUV, an '08 Saab 9-7x Aero.

Everybody knows about the Trailblazer SS, or SRT8 Grand Cherokee, but I didn't know they made the Saab Trailblazer with the 6.0! Holy crap.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4283443279.html

"one of only 639 ever produced"

"The 9-7X also features all-wheel drive, substantial chassis revisions and improvements, including a 1-inch (25 mm) lower ride height, revised bushings and dampers, standard rear air suspension, and quicker steering to sharpen the handling.

The Aero model is the top of the line performance and luxury variant of the 97x family. The Aero has the same 6 Liter LS2 V8 found in the Chevrolet Corvette (400HP)"

nmna

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
2/6/14 12:16 p.m.

Yeah, apparently they were. Apparently I also want one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/other-cars/2934386-fs-saab-9-7x-aero-awd-and-390hp-ls2-v8.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

But those "sources" both say 390 rather than 400, but both say mid 12 second quarter mile times, which is amazing.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/14 12:18 p.m.

Oh yeah, i love these.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/6/14 12:19 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: Everybody knows about the Trailblazer SS, or SRT8 Grand Cherokee, but I didn't know they made the Saab Trailblazer with the 6.0! Holy crap. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4283443279.html "one of only 639 ever produced" "The 9-7X also features all-wheel drive, substantial chassis revisions and improvements, including a 1-inch (25 mm) lower ride height, revised bushings and dampers, standard rear air suspension, and quicker steering to sharpen the handling. The Aero model is the top of the line performance and luxury variant of the 97x family. The Aero has the same 6 Liter LS2 V8 found in the Chevrolet Corvette (400HP)" nmna

Why the bork would someone put ugly ass black wheels on that thing. It instantly takes it from "Q" ship subtle to "I'm a dick with a fast car that wants the world to know I have a small weiner" status.

P.S. I"d dig it with stock wheels

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/6/14 12:23 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why the bork would someone put ugly ass black wheels on that thing. It instantly takes it from "Q" ship subtle to "I'm a dick with a fast car that wants the world to know I have a small weiner" status. P.S. I"d dig it with stock wheels

Well they do appear to be snow tires, so perhaps just a winter setup? Or are those the factory wheels painted black?

I agree a clean set of factory alloys would look better

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/6/14 12:33 p.m.

Hmmm, and to think I was being tempted by a '08 4.2L at a local dealer with 76k miles for $6k.....

I like the way these look more than the TB SS, and they appear to be a performance bargain at 13.5k over the TB SS(most I see are upper teens, low 20s)

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
2/6/14 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Wow. That escalated quickly.

I've never been much of a fan of black wheels, usually because it's done poorly. I didn't realize the small wiener assumption had moved from Ferrari > Bro truck > black wheels.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/6/14 12:42 p.m.

sexy... but its a fat SUV (all SUVs are fat)

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/6/14 12:43 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: sexy... but its a fat SUV (all SUVs are fat)

but it can tow your race car, AND your family

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
2/6/14 12:46 p.m.

Every black TB SS, S SS, Brotruck, etc seems to have black wheels here in the midwest......I wouldn't put black wheels on a black vehicle anyways. But I think that assumption is pretty much standard for this region. And to think, I want my IH's wheels dark red and my BMW's wheels dark purple.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
2/6/14 12:51 p.m.

I hate black wheels in general. But I love the 9-7x Aero, now that I know it exists. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the TB SS, too. I considered them at one point, then decided that if I was going to put up with full-size pickup mileage, I wanted full-size pickup utility.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
2/6/14 1:18 p.m.

That's pretty wild. A truly fast SUV. Fueleconomy.gov says 12/16 for mpg which is to be expected for such a big/powerful beast. Also requires premium unfortunately.

Still...that's moving for such a large vehicle.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/6/14 3:57 p.m.

that is a great vehicle, only thing better for an SUV would be the Audi Q7 V12 diesel.

500hp 750ft lbs factory specs AWD Quattro, and 30mpg.

old_
old_ Reader
2/6/14 4:03 p.m.

The transmission is the (very) weak point on those.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/6/14 4:24 p.m.

The transmission can be fixed, though it isn't particularly cheap from what I've read. There is transmission a shop in Houston that had a following with the TBSS guys. It's just common GM tranny stuff from the era, so the path is very well worn. Did they ever do these or the TBSS in a third row version?

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/6/14 4:35 p.m.

All of the expense of maintaining a Trailblazer, with SAAB-looking gauges instead of Chevy.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/6/14 4:36 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Wow. That escalated quickly. I've never been much of a fan of black wheels, usually because it's done poorly. I didn't realize the small wiener assumption had moved from Ferrari > Bro truck > black wheels.

I think he applies it to everything except men who carry purses.

I dig the factory black wheels on our wrangler.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/frankfurt/2011/1109_2012_jeep_wrangler_arctic_edition_first_look/photo_00.html

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/6/14 4:53 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: That's pretty wild. A truly fast SUV. Fueleconomy.gov says 12/16 for mpg which is to be expected for such a big/powerful beast. Also requires premium unfortunately.

I have a couple Trailblazer SS customers and their fuel economy minder is usually between 10 and 12mpg.

Nice thing about those is they have the 14-bolt Corporate rearend and not the magnesium 10-bolt.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/8/14 8:23 p.m.

I like the odd Saabs like this and the 9-2X. The last year of the Saabaru had really limited production as well.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/8/14 8:29 p.m.

I would have gotten one of these for boat towing duty than my disco.. if I had known.

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/8/14 9:55 p.m.

what's wrong with black wheels?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/9/14 3:15 a.m.

I really like them. Don't the Saabs have much better (and different) interiors though than the Chevy/GMC twins? I know they have the trademark Saab ignition and such.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/9/14 11:32 a.m.

the trollblazers were upmarket from their siblings

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/9/14 12:36 p.m.

So I did some research and there is a 5.3L version of the 9-7x. They came only all-wheel-drive and the EPA says it gets 14/20mpg. Way better than what the Durango gets with part-time 4WD.

My wife has been saying that she really likes our friends Trailblazer more that the Durango. Maybe I Can talk her into one is these.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/10/14 10:00 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So I did some research and there is a 5.3L version of the 9-7x. They came only all-wheel-drive and the EPA says it gets 14/20mpg. Way better than what the Durango gets with part-time 4WD. My wife has been saying that she really likes our friends Trailblazer more that the Durango. Maybe I Can talk her into one is these.

I'd go for it over an old Durango.

May be harder to find the right one though compared to the sea of trailblazers and durangos out there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5jVq8KOzl4JVIZrLpnXA5WEKmQzegnJY34A4i1rPfgO4aDIUDV94QagEa7ppqpo6