BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
2/20/15 11:45 a.m.

A while back I posted on how I was happy to pick up a 2006 RX-8 with an excellent service history. As it turned out the car (purchased out of state) showed up in very rough condition (3rd party inspection was totally botched). The back left tire blew up about 5 miles from the dealership and the engine promptly failed a compression test the next day. Fortunately, I got a 2 week buy back guarantee and was able to return the car for a full refund (including shipping and inspection).

I am not trying to create another OMGWTFBBQ stay away from the RX-8 post. Just a reminder to do your due diligence with a compression test before purchase (or in my case a buyback guarantee).

In other news, this means I am on the hunt for another vehicle again for a track/autocross toy (assuming I keep the e39). I thought about selling my e39 and getting a new GTI with the sport package, but I do not think I would be able to live with FWD. Convertibles are great, but I hate paying the spring tax. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My options are to basically keep the e39 and get something sub-$15000 or sell it and go up to around $25000.

EDIT: Forgot to add if I sell the e39 I will need a usable back seat (preferably 4 doors). Keeping the e39 allows for a 2 door, but I don't think I can get a FRS/BRZ for under $15k.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/20/15 11:52 a.m.

Sell buy FR-S/BRZ?

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
2/20/15 11:53 a.m.

Sorry about your luck. There are lots of rotary fans out there, but in my experience, the only place they're really happy is WFO on a race track.

Per-capita, and objectively, probably one of the worst track records of modern consumer cars.

(Doesn't mean we as a collective couldn't successfully own one.)

I posted up a while back my buddy at the car lot has one that is approaching 500-something days in inventory.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/20/15 11:53 a.m.

Yeah i would never buy a car, especially a rotary, without seeing/driving it first.

You cant have my rx8

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 11:58 a.m.

Do you need the room? I'd shop the greater south (no spring tax where it's always summer) for a nice S2000 with a hard top.

If you do need the room... an E46 M3 is floating right above the $15k mark and it's a brilliant car.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/20/15 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

Christ you make it seem like the Chevy citation

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/20/15 12:03 p.m.

I love mine but unless I really know the person I won't suggest anything rotary to those not ready and unfortunately they are to the point they can be picked up cheaply enough for the careless to destroy.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
2/20/15 12:04 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: In reply to Tyler H: Christ you make it seem like the Chevy citation

Nah...Citations weren't any fun, but generally wouldn't leave you walking. ;)

RX8s are good cars in the hands of enthusiasts. Reliability these days means people who could tear up a new anvil can reasonably be expected to nurse them through the warranty period.

I've owned a couple of 13b powered cars and they were needy. No Renesis, but now RX8s are in in the hands of dangerous demographic for used cars.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 New Reader
2/20/15 12:04 p.m.

I can't tell from your post if this experience has turned you away from the RX8 completely or not, but can I suggest an RX8 that you or someone else from this board can lay eyes on personally? I might be biased, but I don't see this as an RX8 issue but a bad dealership and bad inspector issue.

I can't see where you are located, but if you find one in the Atlanta/North Georgia area I would be glad to look at it for you and give you an honest opinion.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/20/15 12:06 p.m.

If you are still interested in looking I'm sure there are plenty of rotards such as myself that are more then willing to help out here.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
2/20/15 12:52 p.m.

Drive a new GTI (with the performance package) and see if the FWD is a deal breaker.

I just sold my RX-8 and went back into the FC RX- world, but only because my search for a good Series 2 car was absolutely cursed. When a lot jockey drove the R3 I wanted to look at into the building I figured it just wasn't meant to be.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
2/20/15 1:58 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I posted up a while back my buddy at the car lot has one that is approaching 500-something days in inventory.

R3?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer SuperDork
2/20/15 2:22 p.m.

I might be convinced to sell my 2009 R3 for the right price. PM me if you want info.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/20/15 4:36 p.m.

My R3 was on the lot for a long time. It didn't get sold in the summer of '09 so it sat in the showroom all winter. People generally don't performance car shop in january in wisconsin. I got it in early spring for many MANY thousands under sticker, I think there was a mazda rebate right off the bat for $6k or something like that, plus got more off and a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Something tells me they were REALLY excited to get that thing out of their showroom! Some others on the RX8club forum had similar deals to mine. Mazda had real trouble moving the things.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/20/15 11:11 p.m.

Mmmm, R3. I would seriously consider one.

Tyler H wrote: ...in my experience, the only place they're really happy is WFO on a race track.

And damn is it fun. I thought our RX-8 was just incredible on track, especially for a mostly stock car.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
2/20/15 11:49 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I posted up a while back my buddy at the car lot has one that is approaching 500-something days in inventory.

Really? More details, please.

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
2/21/15 6:08 a.m.

BlueFalcon, What are your car requirements? If you are a DIY maintenance/repair type of guy, I strongly recommend the 2 car approach if your finances and car parking situation allow for it. This could allow for a high maintenance fun car and a more reliable DD. With good maintenance on your part, you'll always have a car to drive while you work on the other one when needed. On the other hand, if you don't DIY or have limited car space, a newer more reliable car, even a lease, might be a better way to go.

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
2/21/15 7:35 a.m.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. As much as I would love an S2000, I would need to find a screaming deal to feel ok purchasing one (I would want a 2006+). Their prices have gone through the roof in my opinion. I may consider another RX-8, but it would need to be local (MN) and I have not seen much on craigslist.

Right now I have an attached garage to the house, but it is rather small and quite cold in the winter. I can DIY a bit (past conquests include shocks, sway bar, brakes, ignition coils, battery charging on a Gen1 Insight, etc). My other concern is time, I now will be working 50-60 hours a week for the foreseeable future. This is countered by my love of being able to fix and maintain a car myself and avoiding dealerships.

I guess it comes down to me being able to find something that I love enough to deal with the hassle or settling for more balance (ie a car with a warranty) that I don't have to worry about. I do see a shop or larger garage in my future, but it is at least a year away. With the balance issue in mind I am going to try and check out the new GTI and WRX today. What kills me is that I really love the e39 (525i), but it is overweight and under powered for track/AutoX duty. Maybe I should find an e90 328i and do an intake manifold swap?

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
2/21/15 9:25 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
Really? More details, please.

To clarify, it was a trade-in. Somebody traded it in on a new Buick. No, really. White, manual, ~70k miles. I don't know the year. If they still have it, it's probably >800 days now.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
2/21/15 11:06 a.m.

When you really want an RX8, it assumes you really want a great RWD chassis car. Not sure how your next choice is a VW GTI? or a WRX? Snorklewacker gave you the next best obvious RWD options.

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
2/22/15 7:51 a.m.

Sorry, my train of thought has been convoluted. Yes, ideal would be another great RWD chassis car (ie RX8, S2000, etc). In the last month my work requirements have gone up to 50-60 hours a week and I may not have time to maintain two cars and truly enjoy them. I am looking at a GTI, WRX, etc as a newer compromise with warranty given my new work situation. Maybe I should start a new thread on those of us that decided to "compromise" with a FWD vehicle. Worth it, regrets, things that would have been done different?

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
2/22/15 3:27 p.m.

For those rare moments when "Miata" isn't the answer, "GTI" usually is...

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/22/15 3:53 p.m.

While I would not really cross shop the two, I think the new GTI with performance pack (mechanical LSD) is going to be a great autox car.

And if you dont care about SCCA classing its a chip away from 281whp on crappy 91 octane california gas

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/22/15 4:18 p.m.
Sanchinguy wrote: For those rare moments when "Miata" isn't the answer, "GTI" usually is...

Not with the reputation than newer VWs and Audis appear to enjoy around here...

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/22/15 5:46 p.m.

If you go by Truedelta, around 2008 2009 the reliability was pretty terrible with 2009 being the worst over 85 of 100 vehicles needing to go to the shop. Newer ones however are down around the 20's

Main thing for me with VAG cars is never take them to a dealer because it seems like usually the DIY community identifies the weaknesses and a "guru" or independent mechanic will solve them while the dealers just punch buttons and charge way too much for not really identifying or addressing issues.

But the only VAG I have owned was a 2000 TDI which the TDI obviously get a better rep around here

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uAybVZaKYXcgBDQCEx9R7dadOOHMlplhgIJiyjj1T6OZ6siQdsWfgE081mUuRQak