1 2
skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/13/16 12:07 a.m.

One of the few automotive benefits of living in Fairbanks, AK is it's a hot bed for cold weather testing. Instead of just ignoring them, I'm going to try to grab photos and pass on what's driving around the mean icy frozen streets of da 'banks. If it's here, it's probably production ready...

I know I've seen cars that look a LOT like the new Prius out. And tonight parked at a downtown hotel, the new plug-in Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/13/16 7:18 a.m.

Cool.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/13/16 7:38 a.m.
RossD wrote: Cool.

I think the proper word here is COLD. Very very COLD.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/13/16 7:51 a.m.

I actually thought about an immediate edit to add "Literally"

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/13/16 11:22 a.m.

Any parked on 2 street?

skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/13/16 2:53 p.m.

That parking lot is between 1st and 2nd but alas most of the downtown has been gutted from its former glory oil boom days. The only bar left is the Mecca, a couple nicer restaurants, and a few run down shops.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/14/16 11:37 a.m.

I was stationed at Wainwright for a few years early to mid-80's. 2 street wasn't really a safe place then. Always found someone froze during break-up. Used to spend summer nights mud-bogging at the mud flats w/4X4's. Been back a couple times for work in the past several years. One time stayed at the Hotel on 1st, about 5-6 years ago. Still had the drunks wandering around and fighting in the parking lot. Was last there 2 years ago and avoided that part of town. Wouldn't really think it a safe place to park those prototype cars.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
1/14/16 12:24 p.m.

That looks like a Charger from the outside..

skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/14/16 12:33 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

It's actually been unseasonably warm this winter. It hasn't even really gotten to -20 yet, and usually we're supposed to have a few stretches of -40 and colder by now. Lots of snow this year at least.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/28/16 1:32 p.m.

There's been a really sexy sport coupe running around town in full camo for the last week or three, can't figure out what it is but I'll get a pic as soon as I see it stopped somewhere.

Spied driving today a new Honda Ridgeline. Similar size to the new Colorado/Canyon, but lower and less 'tall cause I wanna be a real truck someday' styling. Looks like a good proper sized pickup truck actually, very proportional at all angles. Again, will have to get pics.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
2/25/16 3:09 p.m.

Parked at the Mariott downtown. Some sort of new Lincoln? Or Audi? Fuel tank door is labeled gasoline only

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
2/25/16 3:18 p.m.
skierd wrote: Parked at the Mariott downtown. Some sort of new Lincoln? Or Audi? Fuel tank door is labeled gasoline only

Hyundai I believe.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/25/16 3:27 p.m.

That might be their luxury offshoot.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/25/16 3:34 p.m.

Yup. Genesis.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/25/16 3:34 p.m.

That's the new "stand-alone" Genesis (formerly known as the Hyundai Genesis).

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/25/16 3:38 p.m.

The rear has some recent Jaguar elements.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
2/25/16 6:49 p.m.

That's why I don't recognize it; we don't have a Hyundai dealer in Fairbanks so I don't see them often.

Interesting to note they were testing on Blizzak WS-80's. Make your own conclusions on that, but seems like a nice factory recommendation on a snow tire to me.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/25/16 8:54 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The rear has some recent Jaguar elements.

Yes. And Mercedes.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
3/27/17 4:01 p.m.

Haven't seen much out and about this winter, which is odd because it's been a great winter to really cold weather test. By that I mean it's been Cold, even for Alaska.

But I did get to see a new Compass out and about today, so that was neat.

There was a newer forester behind it, and the Jeep is somewhat bigger. I'd say Ford Edge size or thereabouts. Definitely a lot of Grand Cherokee in the DNA.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/27/17 4:29 p.m.

When I lived in Colorado I used to see cars undergoing high-altitude testing on a regular basis. I once saw a Bugatti Veyron all camo-ed out heading up I-70 near Red Rocks. Even though the car hadn't come out yet, it was pretty easy to spot. Tons of magazines had shown spy-shots of the car by then......so I knew what it was. Pretty cool......although not at all cold.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/27/17 5:49 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: When I lived in Colorado I used to see cars undergoing high-altitude testing on a regular basis. I once saw a Bugatti Veyron all camo-ed out heading up I-70 near Red Rocks. Even though the car hadn't come out yet, it was pretty easy to spot. Tons of magazines had shown spy-shots of the car by then......so I knew what it was. Pretty cool......although not at all cold.

Best place for a work trip. Loved going out there. Did a lot of starts at the top of Loveland pass.

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
3/27/17 8:36 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: When I lived in Colorado I used to see cars undergoing high-altitude testing on a regular basis. I once saw a Bugatti Veyron all camo-ed out heading up I-70 near Red Rocks. Even though the car hadn't come out yet, it was pretty easy to spot. Tons of magazines had shown spy-shots of the car by then......so I knew what it was. Pretty cool......although not at all cold.
Best place for a work trip. Loved going out there. Did a lot of starts at the top of Loveland pass.

I was just up there today, skiing at Keystone. Last time I was out this way, roughly 7 years ago during the summer, we spotted some new Chargers driving up Mt Evans. Later that evening, we got back to our hotel in Dillon and bam, there's the Chargers sitting in a transporter in the parking lot.

Beautiful area, couldn't even imagine getting paid to come here

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/27/17 10:41 p.m.

We get them here up by Kapuskasing, ON - GM had a full time testing facility there, plus there was an independent facility. I was up in that area just after I finished University and I got passed by 6-7 Rover sedans plus a couple of Range Rovers.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/28/17 11:51 a.m.
Furious_E wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
I was just up there today, skiing at Keystone. Last time I was out this way, roughly 7 years ago during the summer, we spotted some new Chargers driving up Mt Evans. Later that evening, we got back to our hotel in Dillon and bam, there's the Chargers sitting in a transporter in the parking lot. Beautiful area, couldn't even imagine getting paid to come here

I see them going up I-70, but lately it seems like most of the high-altitude stuff has been sticking further west with the population boom in the front range. Independence Pass will always have a train of camo'd Mercedes doing laps up and down it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/28/17 11:59 a.m.

Could not get a good photo of it as it was too dark and all I had was a cell phon, but I spotted what appeared to be a large prototype Cadillac in swirly plastic wrap on I-75 between Valdosta and Macon on the way back from Lights Out. About the only time I'd seen one on the road. Not sure what one would have been testing there as it wasn't a particularly hot day; maybe they were making a round-the-US durability trek.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H7bJVSgFU2DmfjEWabPCE4sp95Qj2TpdV0Ufn6jB3jjcDpRdcjRQK2vo6Psb4cla