Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/20/23 11:30 a.m.
mblommel said:

I love the inclusion of the wackadoo conspiracy theories about political figures in a post about electric cars. Can we add in aliens next?

parker
parker HalfDork
6/20/23 12:22 p.m.

Too bad the Air Force didn't have electric planes in the Revolutionary War.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/20/23 12:29 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

If you would follow the trends in batteries you'd find out there are some very inexpensive batteries available and starting to be used.  
 I'm referring to stationary batteries. Different from Vehicle batteries. 
  One of the least expensive is the Air steel battery.  It makes electricity by rusting and recharged when the rust is neutralized. 
  Georgia is installing a 15,000 megawatt system.   
   Aside from that Sodium Ion is a cheap battery source.   Sodium is right next to lithium on the periodic element chart  and is really cheap. 
  Not dense enough for auto use but home storage  where space isn't hyper critical a affordable alternative.  
   Even Lithium has been made affordable by using Lithium oxide.  
  Lithium is very plentiful.   The Salton Sea in Southern California is home to a massive discovery of Lithium.    
Prices of lithium are now down 50% over last year as more and more discoveries have been made.  
  What is happening too is Lithium oxide is being used in some batteries.   Since it doesn't have to be made into a metal there is a dramatic cost savings. 
  Yes it has to be combined with manganese  to work but Manganese is a readily available commodity. 

Could you do me a favor and point out where I can find the solar panels that have dropped 50% in the last couple years and the cheap batteries that are on the market? Since it's part of what I do for a living, it could come in handy. Particularly the batteries- I've working on projects with hundreds of mega watts of batteries, I need to let everyone know that we are using the wrong ones. 

6/20/23 12:43 p.m.
parker said:

I think the Confederate Air Force has a B29.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/20/23 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Come on now, . . . let's not muddy this thread up with facts and actual examples to back things up. wink

parker
parker HalfDork
6/20/23 12:53 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
parker said:

And they still lost the Battle of Gettysburg.  The Yankees had superior SAMs.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/20/23 12:58 p.m.
parker said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
parker said:

And they still lost the Battle of Gettysburg.  The Yankees had superior SAMs.

George Steinbrenner had Surface to Air Missiles..................man it's good to be rich. Makes sense though; I bet Babe Ruth had a pretty good kill ratio.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/23 1:15 p.m.

60 pages!

6/20/23 1:27 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Come on now, . . . let's not muddy this thread up with facts and actual examples to back things up. wink

Built at Boeing Renton as B-29A. Served as an administrative aircraft before being stored. Returned to service in 1953. Used until 1958, at which point it was sent to Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake for use as a ballistic missile target. Acquired by the Commemorative Air Force in 1971, then known as the Confederate Air Force, and flown to Harlingen, Texas that August. A restoration was completed in 1974 and the plane was named "Fifi" after Josephine O'Connor (1919-2007),[11] the wife of Victor Neils Agather (1912-2000),[12] who was instrumental in acquiring the plane. After being grounded in 2006, she returned to the air in 2010. Registered with the FAA as N529B.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/20/23 1:37 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

If you would follow the trends in batteries you'd find out there are some very inexpensive batteries available and starting to be used.  
 I'm referring to stationary batteries. Different from Vehicle batteries. 
  One of the least expensive is the Air steel battery.  It makes electricity by rusting and recharged when the rust is neutralized. 
  Georgia is installing a 15,000 megawatt system.   
   Aside from that Sodium Ion is a cheap battery source.   Sodium is right next to lithium on the periodic element chart  and is really cheap. 
  Not dense enough for auto use but home storage  where space isn't hyper critical a affordable alternative.  
   Even Lithium has been made affordable by using Lithium oxide.  
  Lithium is very plentiful.   The Salton Sea in Southern California is home to a massive discovery of Lithium.    
Prices of lithium are now down 50% over last year as more and more discoveries have been made.  
  What is happening too is Lithium oxide is being used in some batteries.   Since it doesn't have to be made into a metal there is a dramatic cost savings. 
  Yes it has to be combined with manganese  to work but Manganese is a readily available commodity. 

Could you do me a favor and point out where I can find the solar panels that have dropped 50% in the last couple years and the cheap batteries that are on the market? Since it's part of what I do for a living, it could come in handy. Particularly the batteries- I've working on projects with hundreds of mega watts of batteries, I need to let everyone know that we are using the wrong ones. 

If you are serious I go back and find the sources.  However please be aware that I don't know how to post links or paste and copy. 
  Thankfully there is a quote button to hit here Or I'd be responding to people long after they posted something and nobody would know what I was talking about. 
  It would be nice if I could cut and paste things so I wouldn't have to list the whole posting  they made. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/20/23 3:09 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm serious. I've sold millions of dollars worth of solar modules. None of the many manufacturers that I've worked with have dropped their prices anywhere near that much- prices actually went up for a bit due to supply chain disruptions. If I had a module made by a reputable manufacture that was 50% less, I'd buy them by the container and sell every last one. Just send me the manufacturer and model number of one of the modules you found. 

I've got billions of dollars of grid back up projects that I'm working on. Sadly, I'm not supplying the batteries. Otherwise I'd be starting a "What supercar should I buy" thread. They are using lithium ion, surely they don't know any better and I can sell them a better option instead. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/20/23 3:57 p.m.

OK I'll go back and find details for you. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/20/23 5:17 p.m.

Ctrl+c and ctrl+v is soooooooo hard. Like impossible to master (when asked to back up your wild ass claims). 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/23 9:49 p.m.

60 pages, nice work everyone  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/20/23 11:45 p.m.

As the author of this anarchy I want to first thank the Academy for recognizing my accomplishment.

Secondly I want to thank the right fighters with whom this could have never gone 60 pages......thank you.

I also want to acknowledge that this thread reaffirms why AI would never be able to cause this kind of mayhem, it takes a unhinged mind to create this and thus humanity is safe.

Again thank you all; now I'm off to the garage to snugle with my over carbed push rod non crossflow motored Datsun.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/21/23 12:37 a.m.

At this point, don't frenchy and Anthony just need to get a room and berkeley it out?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
6/21/23 8:06 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

60 pages, nice work everyone  

CARTA, in Charleston, bought two electric buses. Really nice buses. They were supposed to be the shining stars and the start of replacing an old diesel fleet for the downtown routes. Big flashy graphics, fancy paint jobs. The buses were delivered and with great fanfare, assigned their routes. There was a minor glitch in the plans though. 

Both buses were too long to make the turns in the downtown area. Both buses were then painted white and sent out to run other routes. Unfortunately, they don't have the range to run the longer routes outside of downtown so both buses were assigned to the same route. One to run in the mornings and one in the afternoons. CARTA's attempt at electrification was a multi-million dollar failure. 

I bet it will be 15 years before they try to buy electric buses again. 

In other news, we do have some electric carriages for carriage tours on days that are too hot for the horses. CARTA had nothing to do with this though. 

EFVKI-fM

Opti
Opti SuperDork
6/21/23 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Private sector coming in clutch with a viable solution, while government solutions fail gloriouslywink

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/21/23 9:17 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Ctrl+c and ctrl+v is soooooooo hard. Like impossible to master (when asked to back up your wild ass claims). 

I know you're telling me how easy it is.  But you are telling a 75 year old Geezer in a foreign language. 
      My grand parents were born in the 1880's   By the time they got a TV  it was network channels and rabbit ears.    
      They liked to watch Lawrence Welch  on channel 11.  We put the TV on that channel  and adjusted the Rabbit ears to that channel for them.  
   Later when Ponderosa was on we went over to their house selected channel 4  and changed the rabbit ears. So they could watch that.  They gave up on watching Larwance Welch.  Until I finally got my license and a Honda 150 dream  to go over and change the TV for them. 
     After about 20 trips they finally  understood. 
  It was so easy for me,  I was doing it from age 5. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
6/21/23 9:21 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

He literally gave you instructions frenchy. Ctrl+C is copy and Ctrl+V is paste. The only step he left out is to highlight what you want copied

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/21/23 9:25 a.m.
Opti said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Private sector coming in clutch with solution, while government solutions fail gloriouslywink

Oversimplification. Maybe the price was so high because elected officials were bribed. 
     Maybe the person in charge was elected because people liked to drink a beer with him and he told them what they wanted to hear.  
      Maybe it was selected by a committee. ( a camel is a horse designed by a committee) 

Was it Benjamin Franklin who said. "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all other forms". 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/21/23 9:41 a.m.
Opti said:

In reply to frenchyd :

He literally gave you instructions frenchy. Ctrl+C is copy and Ctrl+V is paste. The only step he left out is to highlight what you want copied

Where is Ctrl on a cell phone?  Then what do I do ?  
  Honestly I'm not trying to be difficult.  It took me many years before I figured out how to post pictures.    And I'm still limited in ways to do it. 
     The ironic part is my wife has 4 years of college on computers and is in charge of a major banks' computer security . She spends her day explaining to computer engineers, programmers , management, and the banks global network  how to follow the procedures required to keep the bank safe.  
       When my phone stops working and I ask her to help me she gets really angry  and I get a big lecture. 
    So I'm pretty careful not to anything wrong. 
  I know it seems so easy to you guys but it's totally a foreign  language to me.  I'm sorry.  

Opti
Opti SuperDork
6/21/23 10:39 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Opti said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Private sector coming in clutch with solution, while government solutions fail gloriouslywink

Oversimplification. Maybe the price was so high because elected officials were bribed. 
     Maybe the person in charge was elected because people liked to drink a beer with him and he told them what they wanted to hear.  
      Maybe it was selected by a committee. ( a camel is a horse designed by a committee) 

Was it Benjamin Franklin who said. "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all other forms". 

Frenchy you are making my case for me, you just listed a bunch of reasons why our government solutions suck. Sounds like a bunch of problems inherent to our current process for government solutions. What I said stands. Government solution fails spectacularly, for the exact reasons it was expected to.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/23 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That sounds like a problem with you city more than the tech. Buses of the same size are to fit in the same areas regardless of power source so. As far as range both manufacturers we tested, New Flyer and Proterra gave us somewhat conservative estimates. We've had New Flyers for several years now and they've worked better than I would have expected. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/21/23 11:50 a.m.

Came here to say 1500...............new lap record.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
GTHdfPXpE7c5jXFR38lZuWphnzEi9prD4YCZ2UHEv3HdN47g4f379JVFk4jrWdjB