bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/23 8:25 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Seltos is that "sweet spot" in size for us. Fits the two dog cages, dogs and us where a Soul cannot. Gets better fuel economy than her old Rio SX auto and is quiet. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:34 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

LOL, my wife doesn't like my Canyon "because it's noisy". The MINI and Miata have aftermarket exhausts, which she doesn't like. She'd like me to buy something new and quiet. For now, I just turn off my hearing aids and all is good.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/14/23 8:35 a.m.

I think Toyman had a point earlier when he mentioned we would need charging stations as frequent as gas stations before electrics will be fully accepted.

It's true that the math says this is probably not a need.  Every EV will start the day charged at home, so the frequency of stations is not an actual requirement. 

However, it IS a PERCEIVED requirement.  

The infrequency of charging stations contributes to the range anxiety.  Owners of ICE cars currently know that they don't have to think about gasoline. They can jump in their cars and travel around the country anywhere they want and they KNOW they will be able to find a gas station. It's a total non-issue.  But that's not the case for EV charging stations.

Most ICE owners have no idea where the charging stations are. They've seen a couple at hotels or the public library, but they don't see them regularly.  They aren't visible, and there are no signs on the interstates telling people which exits have charging available. There are no giant neon signs advertising today's charging price.   If there were charging stations on every corner like gas stations, there would be no range anxiety.

Charging stations are largely invisible to ICE owners. They have a lack of understanding of how to find them, what the ettiquette is, what the costs are, what the process is.  THIS is the cause of range anxiety, not the actual mileage the car can travel on a full charge.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/14/23 8:46 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Your point is interesting but as long as range is less than the average ICE vehicle you'll need a lot of charging stations.  Time is another factor.  Since recharging takes longer you might need even more charging stations.  Ultimately tech could change the variables.  

Commute times are on the rise but working at home is as well.  If you are considering all of this, uncertainty is high.  The one known is that the current power generating and grid capacity aren't capable of achieving an ICE to EV transition.  Until that is addressed it's all just a dream.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:50 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Agreed, range anxiety for most people is about perception.  And work.  It takes careful planning and the use of custom Apps to navigate travel away from someone's normal routine/route in today's low density charger arrangement.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
7/14/23 8:51 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

My sister bought an electric Kia Soul in the spring. They live on an island off the coast of British Columbia and there is a charging station at their little strip mall, so she plugs in while grocery shopping or going to the restaurant. She needs enough range to get to the ferry and from the ferry to the town my mother lives in and return. She was going to go from her island to visit her daughter in the BC interior, a distance of about 260 miles. Had it all planned to stop at a particular charging center and have lunch before continuing. When the Fraser Valley got flooded badly the charging station was destroyed and she hasn't made the trip yet. Until more charging stations are built , they'll have to take the truck. For her everyday use the Soul is perfect, and she did mention how well it accelerates. This from someone who is not a car person.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:54 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

True.  I've got a buddy who's a truck driver.  He delivers fuel to gas stations.  For EV's to completely replace the ICE, all that energy delivery that currently is distributed by gas pipelines and then Semi trucks to stations MUST be replaced with the Grid build out and extra generation capacity 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
7/14/23 9:06 a.m.

The argument that we'll need as many, or more chargers than gas pumps is not really convincing. What is the utilization rate of a gas pump? I suspect it's not very high, and everyone must use a pump today to replenish their vehicles. In the future, after the grid capacity issues are addressed, we'll be leaving home full every morning and will only need public chargers to go further than the range of one charge. I have no doubt we will solve the range anxiety issues in a few years, not tomorrow, but soon. I was reading an article about Toyota working on solid state batteries with faster charging and more capacity just a couple of weeks ago. I only need to look back over the 46 years since I graduated from engineering school to realize the speed at which technology has advanced. Watch what the next 5-10 years bring.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
7/14/23 9:10 a.m.
bobzilla said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

My local Kia dealer has a bunch of Niros priced at $30815, and the plug-in hybrid is just under $42,000. I'll seriously consider a regular Niro at $31K when I finally give up on my MINI. Even though I don't put a lot of mileage on any one vehicle, I do like getting twice the mileage for my dollar. Over 90% of our driving could be handled by a pure electric vehicle and the hybrid Niro could be the long range vehicle.

we were buying in December. There was a total of 1 Niro in a 150 mile range of us and it was $41k with a little bump from that dealer. The Seltos was $24k.

EDIT: just checked right now, Plugin niro there are 4 now, 1 at $37k, 3 at $41+k with the range set at 100+ miles.

Wife wanted an Ioniq 5, we were shopping around the same time. Building one the way she wanted was around 60K (limited trim and a couple of accessories), could only find the base model RWD (deal breaker for her) within 100 miles for about 60K. She bought a Jeep and says 25K buys a lot of gas.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 9:26 a.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 9:28 a.m.

You might be asking yourself "Indy, why did you post that image"

To which I'd reply, that's the emblem from a 96 ! Same as this page number wink

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 9:39 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 9:43 a.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/14/23 9:48 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

The argument that we'll need as many, or more chargers than gas pumps is not really convincing. What is the utilization rate of a gas pump? I suspect it's not very high, and everyone must use a pump today to replenish their vehicles. In the future, after the grid capacity issues are addressed, we'll be leaving home full every morning and will only need public chargers to go further than the range of one charge. I have no doubt we will solve the range anxiety issues in a few years, not tomorrow, but soon. I was reading an article about Toyota working on solid state batteries with faster charging and more capacity just a couple of weeks ago. I only need to look back over the 46 years since I graduated from engineering school to realize the speed at which technology has advanced. Watch what the next 5-10 years bring.

I wonder if utilization rates at gas stations would be different, if it took as much time to fill up your car with gas as it does with electrons. No way to quantify that, just a curious question. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 10:00 a.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 10:03 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

True.  I've got a buddy who's a truck driver.  He delivers fuel to gas stations.  For EV's to completely replace the ICE, all that energy delivery that currently is distributed by gas pipelines and then Semi trucks to stations MUST be replaced with the Grid build out and extra generation capacity 

Hence the push for solar.  If 50% of the roofs in this country had solar panels.   There would be no need to add to the grid.  

Yes, adding solar to rooftops will increase capacity during daylight hours.  But numerous times in this thread it's been stated "charge at night and leave for work in the morning with a full charge"

Solar doesn't work in the dark of night.  

So, to make solar viable, your house would ALSO have to have a huge battery to temporarily store the energy and then delivery it to the vehicle at night.  This doubles the cost and need for even more batteries.  The article linked above states batteries are the current holdup and large driver of increased costs.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 10:04 a.m.
SV reX said:

I think Toyman had a point earlier when he mentioned we would need charging stations as frequent as gas stations before electrics will be fully accepted.

It's true that the math says this is probably not a need.  Every EV will start the day charged at home, so the frequency of stations is not an actual requirement. 

However, it IS a PERCEIVED requirement.  

The infrequency of charging stations contributes to the range anxiety.  Owners of ICE cars currently know that they don't have to think about gasoline. They can jump in their cars and travel around the country anywhere they want and they KNOW they will be able to find a gas station. It's a total non-issue.  But that's not the case for EV charging stations.

Most ICE owners have no idea where the charging stations are. They've seen a couple at hotels or the public library, but they don't see them regularly.  They aren't visible, and there are no signs on the interstates telling people which exits have charging available. There are no giant neon signs advertising today's charging price.   If there were charging stations on every corner like gas stations, there would be no range anxiety.

Charging stations are largely invisible to ICE owners. They have a lack of understanding of how to find them, what the ettiquette is, what the costs are, what the process is.  THIS is the cause of range anxiety, not the actual mileage the car can travel on a full charge.  

I'm sure you are right about why people have range anxiety.   If you read my post above you'd understand one company( maybe others? )  deals with range anxiety 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 10:08 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

It will be interesting after we have converted to EVs to see how smoothly a mass evacuation goes down.

The range of most EV's will get you away from most hurricanes. 
  If nervous you could leave early or take your ICE  car. ( you always keep that filled up right?  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/14/23 10:13 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

If going by the number of old-school gas stations closing in my area is anything to go by, utilization/sales are down.  I used to pass intersections with a gas station on 3 or 4 of the corners and today only one remains. 

I can see charging stations along hwy routes being more "destinations" that you don't mind spending some time at - like a Buc-ee's. In theory, it could revitalize the idea of the full-service rest area with multiple entertainment options for travelers to spend money on while waiting for their car to recharge. Personally, I travel often and pass by a lot of road-side attractions but rarely stop. But if I were forced to stop... Hmm... 

Long distance travel with an EV would likely require something of change in attitude. One would be forced to slow down a bit and take in the sights.  Of course, at this point we're at the "chicken-egg" stage: folks are leery of EV's because the infrastructure isn't in place; the infrastructure doesn't exist due to low demand. It will take time for those two factors to reconcile. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 10:24 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 10:31 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Indy - Guy said:

Tuna's case reinforces my own believe that house holds with 2+ vehicles are prime targets for the current expansion of EV's.  ICE for long range or high capacity travels, and the EV for shorter in town trips

Plug In Hybrids are the prime target for single vehicle households.

and EV's are prime for single vehicle households you don't travel on long vacations.

That makes more sense. To have a cheap electric hatchback for running around town and commuting, and a bigger more expensive gas powered vehicle for weekend trips and travel. But what we have right now are big expensive EVs stacking up on dealers lots that nobody wants to buy and that many can't even afford.

They are doing it wrong.

Those EV's stacking up in dealers lots?  
 Are you talking about Ford?  The Mustang Mach E?   
    I understand , they offered it at too high a price to even meet the requirements for IRS rebate.    Plus the recharging  network Ford was using  had a reputation for horrible reliability. 
Same thing with the F150 lightening. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/23 10:32 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

To match the cost of a 3 I could buy 2-3 forte gt's in the 30 years. Since we will 10-15 years per car being in the rust belt that's about as long as I am comfortable with long term.

You are assuming the math is charging a full charge every night and you are incorrect. The math, which is something you should look into some day, is figuring out how much energy is needed for the amount of miles driven. It has absolutely nothing to do with range. Much like I don't fill the car but once every couple weeks with gas, this is assuming the same with electric. Miles driven/energy used. No other comparison is valid. Remember we are trying to show how the electric car is going to "save us all money and we like money". 

And before you even berkeleying start with the god damn solar E36 M3 again, solar for my house is not feasible without removing trees, and it would barely cover the cost of the panel install/hookup so its not going to be "free car energy". Believe me, I've done the math on that every couple years since 2004.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 11:08 a.m.

Chevy introducing   The EV Blazer?    According to one source. Mexico is making 5000 Chevy EV blazers a week. 
    I'm a Blazer fan.  I've owned 5 plus 2 GMC's it's the right size  and they were comfortable and reliable.  ( except the one that burned to the ground ). 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 11:09 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 11:22 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

Hence the push for solar.  If 50% of the roofs in this country had solar panels.   There would be no need to add to the grid.  

Yes, adding solar to rooftops will increase capacity during daylight hours.  But numerous times in this thread it's been stated "charge at night and leave for work in the morning with a full charge"

Solar doesn't work in the dark of night.  

So, to make solar viable, your house would ALSO have to have a huge battery to temporarily store the energy and then delivery it to the vehicle at night.  This doubles the cost and need for even more batteries.  The article linked above states batteries are the current holdup and large driver of increased costs.

You assume the requirement of storing solar energy. 
    If you read up you will see that you send excess energy to the grid during the day and  your electric meter runs backwards.  And at night you draw from the grid.  
       At the end of the month depending on what state you are in. You  will either get a check for the excess generated or a credit for the excess generated.  Or pay for the shortage. 
    I am not familiar with how to turn excess credits into cash.  But even the newest rules in California talk about that possibility. 
    However if you are really into it they make a 2 way panel for your charger.   If you are home that charger will either charge you car/truck battery.   Or can be used to run the household if the power is out. 

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
6wbhyAMbQQX2PytgHwQIYCwYl9qbI2xmUz6eWafslrz1tbPpt4h9pJXAVscZl4DP