Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

There's a couple more.  You're welcome wink

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
7/14/23 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

If I were Tesla, I'd put a surcharge on non Tesla charging. It would make them more money while also incentivizing EV buyers to buy Teslas for cheaper network charging rates. Or they might just charge the other automakers for access to their network, which would add to the cost of competitor's vehicles. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/14/23 3:11 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Wow.......that sorts of locks in that none of these small towns will be making those kind of investments despite being in a travel corridor.   While we get 40,000 cars between SoCal and here the amount of cars between Vegas and Reno is very small in comparison and from places like eastern Utah to central Nevada is probably miniscule.

In Vegas they will be putting one armed bandits on the chargers.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
7/14/23 3:19 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You assume the requirement of storing solar energy. 
    If you read up you will see that you send excess energy to the grid during the day and  your electric meter runs backwards.  And at night you draw from the grid.  
       At the end of the month depending on what state you are in. You  will either get a check for the excess generated or a credit for the excess generated.  Or pay for the shortage. 
    I am not familiar with how to turn excess credits into cash.  But even the newest rules in California talk about that possibility. 
    However if you are really into it they make a 2 way panel for your charger.   If you are home that charger will either charge you car/truck battery.   Or can be used to run the household if the power is out. 

What you are describing is net metering. It works fine when a limited amount of solar is added to the grid. Above that amount, the grid can't handle the extra unscheduled/uncontrolled production. Hawaii ran into this years ago, and was limiting the amount of solar per area. If your area already had too much solar, you were out of luck. Battery storage solved that problem, but batteries aren't free. California now requires battery storage with new solar, driving up the cost. New solar sales dropped dramatically with the rule change. 

Just because something works on a smaller scale doesn't mean that it works regardless of scale. One of my cars came from the factory running 10psi of boost. You could crank it up to 15psi without any problems- the fuel system could support it. You could not crank it up to 20psi on the stock fuel system. The grid is the same way, there are limits. If you just assume "a little worked fine, so more will be no problem" it will not end well. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/23 3:23 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to bobzilla :

OOOH this could be a new event........push races.  We'll get owners of ICE cars and owners of EVs and see who can push their car to the shoulder in the shortest amount of time.

the weight difference alone will make a huge impact on pushing even if there's no resistance. There's like a thousand pounds difference in say an AWD sportage and the EV6 (similar sized vehicles)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/23 3:25 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom1200 said:

Wow.......that sorts of locks in that none of these small towns will be making those kind of investments despite being in a travel corridor.   While we get 40,000 cars between SoCal and here the amount of cars between Vegas and Reno is very small in comparison and from places like eastern Utah to central Nevada is probably miniscule.

I mean.... I like this business model. How do we implement this? We could easily be hundredaires. in a couple years!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/14/23 3:37 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

It's what we do best!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/14/23 3:41 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

If I were Tesla, I'd put a surcharge on non Tesla charging. It would make them more money while also incentivizing EV buyers to buy Teslas for cheaper network charging rates. Or they might just charge the other automakers for access to their network, which would add to the cost of competitor's vehicles. 

If I were Elon, I'd hire Frenchy to explain to everyone in his generation why they need a Tesla.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 4:05 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

If I were Elon, I'd hire Frenchy to explain to everyone in his generation why they need a Tesla.  

That's a GREAT idea 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/14/23 4:45 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

That's a GREAT idea 

And here I thought this topic had been played out................

Will older generations warm up to EVs??? 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/14/23 5:22 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
Indy - Guy said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

That's a GREAT idea 

And here I thought this topic had been played out................

Will older generations warm up to EVs??? 

This is a brilliant idea. Frenchy can quit driving a bus and use his lifetime of sales experience. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/14/23 5:30 p.m.

30 or so posts to go.......

7/14/23 6:09 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It will take a lot more than that to convince me to take on car payments when all of my vehicles are paid off and interest rates are going up.

Do people on Social Security really need to take on a $40,000 debt? He would have to debate Dave Ramsey on that one.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/14/23 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Dave Ramsey would NEVER beat Frenchy in a debate. He'd keep trying to use facts, and math. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/23 6:41 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Yeah but both bluster enough no one would pay attention after the first 5 minutes 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/14/23 6:43 p.m.

I think it's a riot that the Free Speech thread got locked over 2000 posts earlier than this one, and this one still continues on...

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 6:48 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I found that interesting too ( the locking part ) 

I went searching for that inflation thread only to re-discover that it took a dark turn and got locked too. sad

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 7:11 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
SV reX said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

What's their range when they are standing still?  Was the car full when you decided to evacuate?

Bumper to bumper traffic is already a thing when evacuating a hurricane area.  Sometimes people sit for 8 or 10 hours without moving.  At least if a car runs out of fuel, someone can bring a gas can. That's not possible with an EV.

I can only speak for myself but when traffic comes to a halt like that I simply turn the car off.

My van has 10 gallons in it at all times, the race car has 5 and my wife never lets her car go below half. I'm bad and let mine get down to 3/8ths............but I've got a set up that allows me to pull fuel out of any one of the cars.

Well in that tiny subset, EV's don't drain their tank sitting there idling.  In fact they don't drain anything. Unless you foolishly chooose to run the A/C. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 7:15 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It will take a lot more than that to convince me to take on car payments when all of my vehicles are paid off and interest rates are going up.

Do people on Social Security really need to take on a $40,000 debt? He would have to debate Dave Ramsey on that one.

Snow Doggie, why do you think I patiently waiting for a Model 2 Tesla?  
      I'm absolutly sure I will go through about $25,000 worth of gas  in the time I've got left. But I'm not sure the price of gas will stay the same for the rest of my life.  

7/14/23 7:17 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to SV reX :

I found that interesting too ( the locking part ) 

I went searching for that inflation thread only to re-discover that it took a dark turn and got locked too. sad

Threads getting possessed by Satan again. Evil never sleeps.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/14/23 7:23 p.m.

I don't think Frenchyd is unlike a lot of folks with the EV argument.

There's a lot of magic dust in both camps; there is some fact but a lot of hyperbole in the arguments. I think this is true of most things that are hotly debated.

Both Toyman and Tuna55 had laid out why it doesn't or does work for them.

I made the comment on another forum that as an autocross only car having my F500 converted to electric would work for me as long as they could keep the weight down to the 900lb range (it weighs 780 with me in it)

BUT

I use the F500 for multiple events. I bring this up because I think that sums up why I don't see them working large scale (more than 25-30%).......time will tell.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
9dJo5xhPO5jlCVobrp67sd2bCRmMWrFbZdQuKXudtUZzV3sZaVf2kh7Cdy81z5JW