wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/12/20 4:46 p.m.

I'm trying to determine weather the rack from my donor car is something I can use or not. The donor in question is an '04 PT Cruiser GT, but there may be some crossover to Neons, Stratus, etc.

It appears the inner ball joints are integral to the steering rack. No flats to grab with a wrench, no tabs bent over to keep them from being unscrewed. I have a very high dollar factory service manual for this exact vehicle, and it has no directive for replacing inner ball joints. It appears "replace steering rack" is the answer to how to fix IBJs. Anyone have experience?

Also, does anyone know if this rack is solid or hollow. Solid I could re-thread for IBJs of my choosing. 

I don't mind some destructive investigation, but thought I'd ask the hive before doing so. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/12/20 4:52 p.m.

If your talking inner tierod, you just grab some big vice grips and they spin right out. 

What part are you calling inner ball joint? 

4/12/20 4:54 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

If your talking inner tierod, you just grab some big vice grips and they spin right out. 

What part are you calling inner ball joint? 

Yes tie rod. I am moron.

4/12/20 6:06 p.m.

Aaand, Chalk another Big Thank You to Prof Brap. If you use some big vice grips, the  INNER TIE ROD spins right out.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/12/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Ancient hillbilly secret.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/12/20 7:37 p.m.

I was going to say pipe wrench, but whatever works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XvOePJ58QBo63I2hvFVBajb2v1axk177GHdhXf8jzmERrAhQX0Xq5j0tlzlkB2Sb