1 2 3 4
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/19/24 9:34 a.m.

A friend just stumbled upon this elsewhere for his 1978 280Z project. What a deal! 

Wish someone made dirt cheap quality H4 kits like this for 4x6 rectangular headlights. My vehicles from 1979 would appreciate that. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/19/24 12:56 p.m.

is there a code to get the discount and the price down to $17 ?

I just went to the local dealer and ordered 2 sets @ $23 each set , 

But if I like them I wanted to order a few more sets and the $17 price would be nice :)

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
3/19/24 1:08 p.m.

There's no code. MSRP on 8120-60P70 is $23.07.

Many dealers charge retail customers more than MSRP simply because they can.  Other people here are getting lower prices because they are buying from dealers who sell at lower prices over the internet.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
3/19/24 1:17 p.m.

I feel compelled to buy a set of these because they are so inexpensive.  I could use them in my Miata.  If I wait long enough I will forget about them and when reminded I will have regerts.

californiamilleghia
3/19/24 1:18 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

There's no code. MSRP on 8120-60P70 is $23.07.

Many dealers charge retail customers more than MSRP simply because they can.  Other people here are getting lower prices because they are buying from dealers who sell at lower prices over the internet.

Thanks for that info ,

I am sure the Internet Toyota dealers charge for shipping so that would  probably be more than the $6  discount , unless I can pick them up at my local dealer :)

Cheers

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/19/24 3:07 p.m.

LOL

My purchasing guy believed the toyota parts guy that it was only one lamp per box. We were charged $23 per pair.

I guess we stock these now.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
3/19/24 3:51 p.m.

Thanks for sharing.

I just got a set for my na miata for $24, delivered in one day. 

Reading between the lines I'm guessing that the apology letter included in the kit is the reason for such a low price (customer satisfaction driven).

My parts guy said "we're not used to getting boxes this big for so little money."

smiley

FYI, these are 7" glass bulbs which I believe are universally referred to as "6024" which retrofit to use "H4" bulbs.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
3/19/24 8:02 p.m.
Trent said:

LOL

My purchasing guy believed the toyota parts guy that it was only one lamp per box. We were charged $23 per pair.

I guess we stock these now.

So if he thought it was 1/part number why did he order 7? lol

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
3/19/24 9:36 p.m.

Two Sets from Local Dealer delievered for $49 including NC sales tax.

Thanks for the tip

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/19/24 10:34 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

A friend just stumbled upon this elsewhere for his 1978 280Z project. What a deal! 

Wish someone made dirt cheap quality H4 kits like this for 4x6 rectangular headlights. My vehicles from 1979 would appreciate that. 

I could use a square set for my old Civic as well.  I wonder if an older Toyota Pickup would show the right part number...

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
3/19/24 11:54 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thanks. To be fare, I don't remember my headlight nomenclature but I think I need a pair. I used to have a set of round 7" Cibie lights which were angled up on the right side that I bought and installed onto my Volvo 1800e from the JC Whitney catalog back in the 70s.

Anyway, shortly after, my Volvo got broadsided at the entrance to the Freeway exit ramp in Minneapolis, MN. While waiting for the two old cops to show up, my friend stopped a gas station armed robbery in progress and we where local heroes in Minneapolis. Later, after a couple of weeks, and after a new door and fender where installed, and at dusk while driving 500 miles home and while driving through Fargo ND, 250 miles from Minni, and at dust, I noticed that the lights where super dim. I pulled over to wash them off and realized that somebody at the dealership had replaced them with crappy sealed beam bulbs, and although my dad and I called and complained, the dealership refused to settle up (Basically said we couldn't prove it). 

50 years later, I still need to buy an air powered rapid fire automatic machine pellet gun and drive by BORTON Volvo and take out every headlight on their lot. angryangrydevil

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
3/20/24 8:17 a.m.

The Lansing dealership wanted $34, Muskegon wants $23.

Any site I've seen online wants $50+ just for shipping -- what sites are you all going to?

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/20/24 8:26 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I just found the closest local Toyota store that had an online ordering option and selected to pickup at the parts counter.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/20/24 8:29 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I did the same - selected pickup at local Toyota dealer.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
3/20/24 8:42 a.m.

Too bad my local dealer is a thief. 

And Ann Arbor wants $45

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/20/24 1:09 p.m.

Sent my buddy off for a set for his GT6 and MG Midget, they fit easily and are def better than 30 year old sealed beams! $52 all in for two sets.

Next quest - LED bulbs so that I don't need to use the relay kit (which BTW is a very simple plug and play setup -  at least for a Toyota truck or other car where the wiring isn't restricted by the shape of the headlight bowl)

They make LED bulbs designed to fit the H4 body and have the elements arranged such that they match the placement of the filaments in an H4 bulb. I've found two types that will fit in the headlight buckets of an LBC.......some with tiny built in cooling fans and some without. The with-fans type are available on Amazon for $40 a pair, the ones without are $65/pr in England or $155/pr here in the USA.

I have friends who have used both the England and expensive US versions and say they are fantastic - my buddy ordered a set from Amazon as a test.....

Here are pics to compare with Hella H4's in his Midget - they stick out a bit further but are also slightly shallower so they leave more room at the back for the wiring.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/20/24 1:28 p.m.

Here are some pics of the pattern of light - pics are the Koitos with the std H4 Halogen bulbs that came with the lenses. 

High beams

Low Beams

californiamilleghia
3/20/24 1:31 p.m.

Thanks for the installed pics , 

I need to see how they fit in Old VW bug headlight buckets that have the curved glass covers , 

not sure if the glass overhang will interfere with the. Curved glass covers

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/20/24 1:32 p.m.

I would not think they would work at all with covered headlights, be interesting to see a set installed in your VW

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
3/20/24 4:15 p.m.
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:
Tony Sestito said:

I could use a square set for my old Civic as well.  I wonder if an older Toyota Pickup would show the right part number...

Same for my boy's SAAB 900.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/20/24 4:27 p.m.

My set just arrived today from Lakeland Florida Toyota. $31.21 total.

Very nice kit with a decent amount of wire ties and dielectric grease for the installation.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
3/20/24 4:55 p.m.
Aaron_King said:
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:
Tony Sestito said:

Same for my boy's SAAB 900.

Not an easy thing to do. Toyota vehicles sold here in the sealed beam era always had sealed beam lamps, never H4s. That means the part numbers for the equivalent H4 lamps just are not in Toyota's US parts system. I've gone all over the place looking for European part numbers in hopes of finding one that is somehow available from dealers in the USA, and it's just dead end city. I gave up and ordered mine from Daniel Stern. He apparently has a source outside the USA. They're not cheap, but Cibie no longer makes big rectangular H4s, and I didn't want Hellas. Stern is a lighting nerd (and sometimes a bit hard to deal with because of it) who goes farther it than most people want to deal with, and he's convinced the rectangular Koito lamp is very good, so I stopped trying to outsmart the parts system and just paid him the money.

As for why there's a bargain H4 kit available in 7" round, I suspect it's to appease the FJ40 crowd. There are people putting serious money into those old things, and Toyota knows that. They continue to stock an awful lot of parts for them. I assume that FJ40 guys were buying sealed beam lamps because they had to have lamps with the Koito name on them; I also assume that Koito decided to stop producing sealed beams, at which point someone at Toyota came up with this set as a way to continue supporting FJ purists.

A crackpot theory, to be sure, but it's the closest I can get to making sense of a strange situation.

The big rectangular Koitos are listed here for those interested:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

There is no online ordering. You have to email him. Like I said, he's a bit of an odd duck, but he sells good products.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/20/24 6:31 p.m.

Follow up to my earlier pics, turns out the ones with the "rays" were on high beam.....

So, comparison to H4 halogens with el cheapo LED bulbs supposedly made correctly for H4 enclosures (seem to be accurate based on the comparison of beam patterns with H4)

High beams - lights mounted in his GT6

Low beams

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/20/24 7:22 p.m.

I was at Wally World today and they had the old sealed 7" bulbs in the shelf for $12.99 so these are a bargain.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/20/24 7:27 p.m.

That's a pretty good beam pattern, what model are those?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g1uuqkIww00YLlbGiNjc2Lsk3NBXxAnWTNP50p50lMmxRgXp7Lh1KqnX8yilVS1X