1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/7/23 4:35 p.m.

Humm.  Maybe?  The car in question was a manual 1975 Formula 400 Firebird.  It was the first car I actually paid money for. Not my actual first car. I wanted it back for a long time.  But recently I got to drive a similar car and I was underwhelmed. It is funny how the mind forgets all the imperfections.

If it was my actual car then yes as it would be cool to pass it on to my son.  The stories and memories that I had surrounding that car are many but that car rusted in half and is gone.  The roof was starting to crack and buckle at the top of the B pillar and the driveshaft was starting to come out of the transmission.

I actually traded it to a guy that was wanting to upgrade his 75 Firebird.  In return, I got a 65 T bird but that is another story that actually worked out very well for me.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
8/7/23 4:37 p.m.

I'd buy a better one than the rust bucket that I had:

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/7/23 4:48 p.m.

OK I blame this thread for this.  For S&G's I figured I would google and see what is out there.  Found this.  An almost exact copy of my car for sale except for the rims. 

Emailed the seller we will see.  Oh, and it is a day's drive from me.  I am kind of hoping it is sold but on the other hand, it would also be kind of cool to have.  

AND the prices of these things are not as bad as they use to be about 5 years ago.  Dont know what has changed.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
8/7/23 4:51 p.m.

Lol nope. 1993 Nissan Altima in beige with a fart can and a 10" sub in the trunk? Absolutely not. It wasn't even a stick shift. 

Third car yes: 1990 full size bronco with a 5-speed. It was a classic case of being a poor teenager who couldn't afford to make his car as cool as it deserved and now adult me can't afford to buy another one. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/7/23 4:59 p.m.

Still own mine. Had it since the summer of 95. 70 plymouth duster v8/stick/sure grip.

i did buy back the one that got away.  97 neon acr. That one was great memories,  and far better as memories. Im glad i got to save it, and even more glad it went to a good home. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
8/7/23 5:06 p.m.

my first car was a trashed 4 cylinder z3 i got for $1650 and sold for $3300 after crashing it. So I'm good, I think

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/7/23 5:14 p.m.

My first car was a 1964 Buick Skylark, and it looked a lot like this one:

Mine had steelies and hubcaps instead of the Buick Road Wheels you see here, but it was the same color. Mine also had some frame and body rot when I parted ways with it, so maybe I don't want mine back, but I would absolutely love to have another 1964 or 1965 Buick Special, Skylark, or GS in the stable. 

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
8/7/23 5:18 p.m.

I still own my first car..1968 Ford Cortina GT...bought new Sept.68..Would like the second and third ones back though.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/7/23 5:25 p.m.

I still have my first car. 

I pop riveted and bondo'd it into a 6 footer when I was 15 and by the time I was 17 the structure that I didn't fix was making it unsafe. I was going to scrap/part it but by then I had some car mentors that said I'd regret getting rid of my first car. I took their advice and found a barn to store it in. It stayed there from 1984-1999 for $10/month. In 1999 I had enough space at home to tuck it in a corner. As I've added space, I've moved it to new corners. 

I don't know if I'll ever fix it or restore it. It's like a time capsule now with receipts and high school notebooks in the glovebox and storage pockets. It's the first car I drove, the first engine I ever replaced, the first paint job I tried, and so much more. 

I'm glad I kept it. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/7/23 5:26 p.m.

My first car was a E36 M3 box $1500 '99 Cavalier coupe with the 2.2L pushrod engine and a three-speed auto. So no

Then again, if I had it back, I could this time choose to ignore my parent's advice of selling it to my older sister, only for her to only pay me half of the agreed-upon price, drive it for a year and a half, and then somehow spin out on a thruway offramp on a dry, warm, sunny day and pile it into the guardrail, and instead sell it to someone and get the full value.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
8/7/23 5:27 p.m.

Doubtful.  My first car was  '66 Mustang with a 289.  I built a Hi-Po replica engine, except for the solid lifters.

At the time it was great.  But it was loud, didn't stop super fast even with Michelin XWX tires, handling was "flexible" even with the GT350 springs because of the chassis, large anti-roll bars helped some.   No A/C.  Very heavy clutch. Always needing something adjusted: carburetor and distributor issues mostly.   Forget about listening to the radio.

What changed my mind about wanting it back was a 2009 WRX. 

It was faster, stopped better, handled better, and was quiet.  All it couldn't do was smoky burnouts (well maybe it could do one once). 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/7/23 5:34 p.m.

Hell no. That was a pos. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/7/23 6:03 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Hell no. That was a pos. 

Seconded!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/7/23 6:13 p.m.

My 1970 commando was a turquoise color butYes in the condition that I sold it.3 weeks after I sold it I was riding in the backseat when the new owner hit a 10" tree with the right side

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/7/23 6:24 p.m.

If I could have it back in the condition I bought it in. Then I could undo all the junk 16year old me did to it.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/7/23 6:42 p.m.

Perhaps, my 1956 210 sedan with a pristine '55 dog house .....283 4bbl w TH350.......hmmm 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/7/23 6:54 p.m.

No - I got my money out of it - I haggled big time with the next guy to get $400 out of it. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/7/23 8:14 p.m.

If I could, I would.  A '77 Alfetta GT.  Started as dark blue, but after it got vandalized we had it painted red.  

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
8/7/23 8:29 p.m.

Lol. Absolutely not. It was a '97 Mercury sable. With the v6 it moved ok, but otherwise I hated that thing. I was thrilled when a transmission issue eventually took it out of service and I was happy to sell it for $500.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/7/23 8:38 p.m.

My first car was a 74 valiant.  No I absolutely would not want it back.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
8/7/23 9:08 p.m.

For the first car I consider "mine", had I not crashed it in ~09, yes. Getting my learners and first 6 monthw or so afterwards, I drove any of the 4 to 6 cars my folks had, from 86 Pontiac 6000, Acura Legend, Chevy lumina van, a handful of buicks, Ford ranger, s10 blazer, and more that were at the house. First one ai took ownership of was an 89 accord LX-i hatchback, would love to have another. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/7/23 9:29 p.m.

My first vehicle was an 83 Chevy S-10....  pass.  My first car was a 82 Mustang GT.  Heck yeah!  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/7/23 9:31 p.m.

ABSOLUTELY!!

1966 VW bus. Like this:

I sold it for $125.  It's probably worth about $15,000 now. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
8/7/23 10:19 p.m.

62 Falcon squire wagon 170 ci six 2 speed auto trans. No way!!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/7/23 10:36 p.m.
buzzboy said:

If I could have it back in the condition I bought it in. Then I could undo all the junk 16year old me did to it.

Username checks out.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pnRHQjKXaPXFBFWDXrF6CYO2mfUCicMntDqxFA8nPdxIKPyP1xIZoD47cdxwn9Nv