1 2 3 4
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/26/22 12:18 p.m.

I dunno man, if you are already renting something to do this job how much more can it be to rent something that's going to be easier overall? How many trips are you making and do they rent something that can do it in one? I also think a trailer would be easier to load and unload.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/26/22 12:21 p.m.

How are you loading it .

brick by brick or a pallet and forklift ?

if your van is the same as my 2005 the sliding side door is about 55 wide , but the passenger front seat is in the way , and maybe the security cage behind the driver , so a pallet will be close,  measure it before renting .....

and try and get the weight in the center of the van , if it's out on the tail it will be a wild ride with no weight on the front tires

Weight wise I doubt it matters

take pictures :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/26/22 12:23 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Does HD still rent these drop-side trucks?  
Easier handling/loading than putting into the interior of a van if you're hand loading?

4 or 5 bricks tall but weight distributed across the entire load floor which is a wider floor than a van.  

Exponentially easier if you have a fork lift on either side for loading, unloading.  

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/26/22 12:26 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Yeah, if Uhaul, how much more for a dually rear ended moving van?  

we have to reverse up an annoyingly narrow driveway at the loading site that is only 7 feet wide. Also stacking several thousand bricks is way easier if you don't have to climb up a ramp and can reach into the back, which is why we didnt rent a pickup or cube van. 

that is also the annoying thing about uhaul trailers. a 5x7 would fit but only has a 1770lb capacity which is not even 1 full pallet of bricks. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
7/26/22 12:29 p.m.

It's not my truck.  Go ahead and do it.

I apologize for this inner keyboard warrior outburst.  This is not the place for it (if anywhere is) and I will attempt to control my asshat-ness.

Again, sorry for the un-needed and un-useful reply.

Be safe, make three trips if you have to.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/26/22 12:32 p.m.
twowheeled said:
John Welsh said:

we have to reverse up an annoyingly narrow driveway at the loading site that is only 7 feet wide. Also stacking several thousand bricks is way easier if you don't have to climb up a ramp and can reach into the back, which is why we didnt rent a pickup or cube van. 

that is also the annoying thing about uhaul trailers. a 5x7 would fit but only has a 1770lb capacity which is not even 1 full pallet of bricks. 

Tak a look at that flatbed pickup posted above that HD rents. That should be way easier to load given where you are loading!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
7/26/22 12:37 p.m.

I'd overload it.

But then again years ago I brought home 10 eighty pound bags of concrete in my 85 CRX so I may be the wrong person to offer an opinion.

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/26/22 12:37 p.m.
Javelin said:
twowheeled said:
John Welsh said:

Tak a look at that flatbed pickup posted above that HD rents. That should be way easier to load given where you are loading!

they don't have these in my city unfortunately, that is a very handy truck. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/26/22 12:44 p.m.

You already know it is "illegal and unsafe". Then, when the accident happens, your former insurance company will know you knew.  Then the lawyer for the victim will know you knew.  But its OK because you saved $40.00. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/26/22 12:54 p.m.

In reply to twowheeled :

I built a house using a 1/2 t Chevy pickup.  I hauled over 4000 pounds of granite slabs per trip 49 miles  one way .  25-30 trips.  
4-10,000 pounds of hardwood Timbers.  50+ trips? ( Black Walnut,  White Oak, Rock Maple )  72 miles to the sawmill in Cannon Falls .    Everything it took to build that house my little Chevy hauled.   Went 371,000 miles without problems. Never let me down, 20 years of hard use.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/26/22 1:19 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

How many hours will it take you to change the rear axle bearing in the van when you finish?

Probably the same bearings as a truck with a 2x higher rating.

You won't hurt a thing.  I have loaded more than that in a half ton and the world didn't end.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/26/22 1:24 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Rental?

Send it.  Full stop.

Full send!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/26/22 1:30 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

You already know it is "illegal and unsafe". Then, when the accident happens, your former insurance company will know you knew.  Then the lawyer for the victim will know you knew.  But its OK because you saved $40.00. 

Anybody can sue anybody at any time for anything.  
  If you are terrified of lawyers buy one of those supplemental insurance policies for a million Dollars.  They are pretty cheap. 
 Then if you get sued for being overweight  the insurance company hires the best lawyers to defend you and save them  from paying out that million.  

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 1:42 p.m.

I thought the rental was suggested, but you were asking about your own van. Either I missed something, or a lot of the replies did!

If your van, the vans (at least used to be) were 1500 with the same 1500 axles, spindles, etc. suspension as truck 1500. 2500 had truck 1500 axles, bit more spring. Vans consider the weight rating, assuming the load will be farther fwd. 

3300 up to 4000, is insignificant to 100% of the mechanical parts of that van. I have doubled that (Prolly more a few times), and drove home on the Hwy!!! A half dozen times I've been on the rear bump stops, with front tires loose , and zero mech. problems. But DO NOT be stupid like that!

So, if tires are aired up, and you consider braking distance, and poss. load shifting, I know 100% it will be mechanical fine, as F has done. 
As to legal reasons... NEVER get legal advice on the internet, and ymmv

im not a lawyer, and I never played one on tv angel

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/26/22 1:48 p.m.

Good golly you guys worry too much. Load it and go.  Its only a couple hundred pounds over capacity. Very low speed for only a couple miles. Let it wobble.

I've done way worse. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
7/26/22 1:57 p.m.
Peabody said:
Mr_Asa said:

Rental?

Send it.  Full stop.

Full send!

There's an old saying "nothing partys like a rental".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/26/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to TGMF :

"couple of hundred" in this case is 670. 20% (roughly) of the rated load. We're not talking about a couple of extra bricks.

It's quite possible the GVWR on the vehicle is driven by legislation that keeps it under 10,000 for licensing reasons and the hardware is capable of more. You'll notice that all the full size pickups happen to have a 9,999 GVWR. But I'm still going back to the effort/reward calculation. The extra effort is small. The potential downside is large.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/26/22 2:00 p.m.
frenchyd said:
L5wolvesf said:

If you are terrified of lawyers buy one of those supplemental insurance policies for a million Dollars.  They are pretty cheap. 
 Then if you get sued for being overweight  the insurance company hires the best lawyers to defend you and save them  from paying out that million.  

No, when you get sued for the accident caused by being overweight the insurance company says "this is your problem as you were not operating the vehicle properly". They don't pay out the million, you do. Insurance is not a replacement for proper operation.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
7/26/22 2:07 p.m.

I would of cubed out the van and drove home without thinking as long as the suspension still bounced some.  

Would have.  

But now you've made this thread, on the internet, admiting you know the math.   I'd be loading exactly 3300 lbs of bricks, removing 5 and driving how ever many trips it takes.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 2:14 p.m.

Rent a dump trailer. Then you don't have to unload by hand. 

A van is a crappy vehicle to haul bricks. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/26/22 2:41 p.m.

I can't imagine the number of times I've hauled 2 yds of mulch or 1 yd of soil in my Nissan truck and haven't had any problems from that.  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/26/22 2:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
frenchyd said:
L5wolvesf said:

No, when you get sued for the accident caused by being overweight the insurance company says "this is your problem as you were not operating the vehicle properly". They don't pay out the million, you do. Insurance is not a replacement for proper operation.

Ahhh, reality laugh 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/26/22 2:58 p.m.
frenchyd said:
L5wolvesf said:

Awww Frenchy you disappoint me. You are usually right on most things. 

Re: “Anybody can sue anybody at any time for anything”. That’s only half the story. The other half is who wins.

Re: “terrified of lawyers”. First, see Keith’s response. Second, I work with lawyers.

Third, insurance companies are in business to make money – NOT to pay it out. Paying out loses them money. If you violate the terms of THEIR contract their best lawyers do not have to defend you. They just say “Buh Bye”

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
7/26/22 3:20 p.m.

I'm not sayin' it's right, but yeah, this idiot would overload every time. Drive slow, though.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 3:57 p.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

Unless I missed something, and all the "abuse the rental" guys saw him ask about a rented situation, the OP orig. question was about his own van.  the 6-7 other folks may be right and I'm (being only one person) might be wrong... we'd have to ask the op. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZXY3vL4PQkB8ab5I1xrl4wiE4yHAepvP2rLTpG2Upw35dWoMrs7pE1qs9ELP4bm8