1 2 3
digdug18
digdug18 Dork
6/9/11 3:43 p.m.

I'm looking at leasing a car, these 2 cars seem to have the best prices right now for leasing. Best price meaning about $2k down and under $200 a month.

The cruze is the eco model, the accord is the SE.

Andrew

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
6/9/11 3:56 p.m.

I have a 2011 Accord 4-cylinder base model 5-speed for my salesman car. I actually like the car a lot.

I would prefer to be flying down the road in a $55,000 loaded Chevrolet Tahoe, Subaru WRX STi, or a Mitsubushi Evo; but sometimes this is all ya get!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/9/11 3:59 p.m.

Is there an option for a bus pass? I think i'd rather walk then either of those, no offense.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/9/11 4:05 p.m.

The Cruze seems pretty cool.
How does the Hyuandai fit in?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
6/9/11 4:08 p.m.

Niether. Next.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
6/9/11 5:15 p.m.

Cruze is a compct, smaller than the Accord. The Malibu would be more comparable. Or the other way, Cruz and Civic.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
6/9/11 5:35 p.m.

Choosing a car based on "the deal" is kind of a poor way to go about this.

If nothing else, look at the residuals of both cars. In other words, which car will retain most of it's value when it comes time to "trade-in"? If the Cruse has a low mileage lease (something GM is notorious for hiding in the small print) and you exceed the mileage restrictions....you are out of pocket for mileage money. Hondas hold their values well, tho it's possible the Cruse will too. I think there are websites that "guesstimate" this kind of info for you. Since you will also have to buy insurance and put gas in the tank and maintain either car, it would be a good idea to get quotes on insurance for each and also look at how much cheaper the Cruse will be in gas costs versus the Accord. Will the better economy of the Cruse offset it's possible poor residuals.

And finally, as a previous poster pointed out, the Cruse competes with the Civic in size, can you get by with the smaller car?

Something else to think about, if you decide on some car besides these 2.... you are more likely to have a higher residual value on a car that is still into it's model life when turned in. That is, if car "A" is in the first year of it's model run (like the new Civic, for example) and car "B" is at the END of it's model life when turned in (as in the "old model/2011 Civic) you will run into possibly lower residuals. If I remember correctly, the Accord will be at the end of this mode's run with the 2013 model.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
6/9/11 6:28 p.m.

Never, ever put $$ down on a lease IMO. If the car gets totaled the day you drive it off the lot that money is gone, and the money factor/interest rate is typically low enough that it makes more sense to roll everything into the payment.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
6/9/11 7:34 p.m.

After the CEO of General Motors or whoever he was went on record saying he would like a dollar a gallon tax hike to make people want to buy his new small cars,I would not buy anything GM

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/9/11 7:48 p.m.

How about you give me $2000 and you can keep the car?

Seriously man, this is like asking if you want the left one or the right one castrated. Either way, you're screwed.

BUY a car!!!

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/9/11 8:28 p.m.

Why not go for a honda civic? Seems to be more in line with the cruze

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/9/11 9:10 p.m.

The Cruze Eco is a nice commuter, drives pretty well and returns very good mileage. Ignore all the naysayers quacking about how "terrible" it would be to drive as a DD.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
6/9/11 9:22 p.m.

".....Ignore all the naysayers quacking about how "terrible" it would be to drive as a DD."

To me, anyone who puts "the deal" first and foremost ALREADY does not care what a car might drive like. Buying, based on the deal, is like going to Best Buy and looking for any old tv based on price versus size....to heck with what the picture quality is like.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
6/9/11 9:44 p.m.

But that's how most people buy cars, and in that segment they'll all be toasters anyway.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/9/11 9:49 p.m.

Unless you have rear seat passengers, a hatch like the new Ford Fiesta is going to have a lot more usable space, and they are cheaper.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/9/11 9:58 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Unless you have rear seat passengers, a hatch like the new Ford Fiesta is going to have a lot more usable space, and they are cheaper.

This is why I'm not interested in the Cruze anymore. I was interested in it until I found out GM would not be selling the hatchback version in the US. GM sells a Cruze hatchback (and a good-looking one at that) in Europe, and hatchbacks are starting to make a comeback here in the US...

GENERAL MOTORZ Y U NO SELL CRUZE HB IN STATES?!

Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
6/9/11 10:43 p.m.

As a 20+ yrs faithfull, die hard GM driver, I would not buy the Chevy. I will never buy another GM product. I hung in as long as I could, but then I woke up to the fact that they've built nothing but junk for at least the last two decades, and I was clinging to what GM USED to be. They went broke because they make crap cars, plain and simple, and the govt bailout has not changed that fact. I'd bet my left nut that the Honda will still be on the road long after that Cruze has met the crusher, and I hate Hondas.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
6/9/11 10:47 p.m.

I'd rather not go for a lease either, but me and wife cannot afford to purchase outright and still keep 6 months of pay in the bank account just in case.

Both are not the cars I'd go with if I had another option. My integra is a coupe, I need a family mobile at this point, we're hoping for 2nd child in less then a year. Both cars have 4 doors, and get reasonably good mpg's, those being the 2 biggest criteria.

I just found that the subaru legacy is having a great deal as well, Though that one would come with a cvt transmision. I'm not a huge fan of the cvt transmissions, they never seem to last a long time, I've heard horror stories about them in civics.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
6/9/11 10:50 p.m.
Javelin wrote: How about you give me $2000 and you can keep the car? Seriously man, this is like asking if you want the left one or the right one castrated. Either way, you're screwed. BUY a car!!!

I don't disagree with you, but its the option I have at this point. If I bought the car I would pay almost double in monthly payments. So that as well is a lose lose for me.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
6/9/11 10:52 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: As a 20+ yrs faithfull, die hard GM driver, I would not buy the Chevy. I will never buy another GM product. I hung in as long as I could, but then I woke up to the fact that they've built nothing but junk for at least the last two decades, and I was clinging to what GM USED to be. They went broke because they make crap cars, plain and simple, and the govt bailout has not changed that fact. I'd bet my left nut that the Honda will still be on the road long after that Cruze has met the crusher, and I hate Hondas.

Funny, I currently have 3 honda products, and a GM with a honda engine. Those being, a acura integra, a honda civic wagon, a push mower(that starts on the first pull each and every time) and a saturn vue that came from the factory with a Honda 3.5 V6. I do like honda products, but am weighing my options for the best non-miata deal I can find.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/9/11 11:12 p.m.

Can you afford to buy a 3 year old off-lease? A CPO?

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/9/11 11:48 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: I'd rather not go for a lease either, but me and wife cannot afford to purchase outright and still keep 6 months of pay in the bank account just in case. I need a family mobile at this point, we're hoping for 2nd child in less then a year.

Does not compute. You want to save money, but have another kid?

Also, the best way to save money is NOT lease! Buy a used car! If I can pick up a 2006 under-70K mile Mazda5 for $9K from a DEALER, so can you! With $2000 down that's under a $200 a month payment for even a 4-5 year loan! Come on man, stop the excuses!

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/9/11 11:56 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: As a 20+ yrs faithfull, die hard GM driver, I would not buy the Chevy. I will never buy another GM product. I hung in as long as I could, but then I woke up to the fact that they've built nothing but junk for at least the last two decades, and I was clinging to what GM USED to be. They went broke because they make crap cars, plain and simple, and the govt bailout has not changed that fact. I'd bet my left nut that the Honda will still be on the road long after that Cruze has met the crusher, and I hate Hondas.

OK, you win the award for best comedy in today's GRM posts. "Nothing but junk for the last two decades" hahahahahahahahahahaha Excuse me while I fire up the ZR1 for another record lap at the 'Ring, naw, maybe I'll destroy an M3 with my Caddy station wagon....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/10/11 12:03 a.m.

Why not Hyundai?

On a slightly related note, has anyone tried out the new Chrysler 200? It looks nicer on the outside then any of the other cars in that segment.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/10/11 12:04 a.m.
forzav12 wrote:
OK, you win the award for best comedy in today's GRM posts. "Nothing but junk for the last two decades" hahahahahahahahahahaha Excuse me while I fire up the ZR1 for another record lap at the 'Ring, naw, maybe I'll destroy an M3 with my Caddy station wagon....

No kidding. Plus the Cobalt SS is a pretty good beast.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VGvmiz30bUJk0ml3aSmP5iHKrhpQRrYeaOm0tSLfZkG7kBH8H6bqY8NoMfmzuhom