1 2
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/15 12:31 p.m.
Desmond wrote: I did own an E30, but there are some engineering choices they made on that car that just make me scratch my head. I guess my ideal situation would be a late model e30 with a 24 valve non-vanos swap.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I think my problem with my E30 was I had such strong memories of the '97 M3 I'd driven and worked on so much before it. While my E30 was a very nice example of the breed (purchased off this forum), it had issues. I thought fixing those issues would make me like the car. It did not. Never mind the issue of it breaking damn near every time I drove it... It sucks because I like the way they look and I wanted so much to love that car.

As far as cars I wish I could have back - my old E150 conversion van tops the list. Never should have let my ex- goad me into buying a Cummins and selling that van.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/4/15 1:00 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: With all this melancholy over old BMW sedans, which one of you is going to buy my E12?
Trade you for an old E46

FTFY

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/4/15 1:08 p.m.

Hey, I have one of those too!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/4/15 4:02 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: oooh man, be careful with that, things like this happen. I hear ya though, and I completely understand. If the guy up north wont answer, and Mrs. Unevolved understands, then I say sell the e46 and find ya an e30 again.

And that one post made me read that entire thread. 2 hours gone!!!!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/4/15 4:06 p.m.

The scary thing is had been looking for an old beater 4x4 pickup and just picked up a 98 F150 4x4 (price was good as in free) and I am in the process of bringing it back to life as a plow truck, junk moving truck, home depo run truck. Wish I had thought to take photos of my adventure to date as it has involved U joints, rear brakes, front brakes, and now I am trying to sort out why the 4X4 is not working (think I have it down to the BCM).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/4/15 4:47 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: On a side note, you're one of those people that I wonder if I've met it real life doing car stuff in Houston.
I don't think so, I didn't have much time for fun stuff when I lived in Houston. Part of the reason why I stopped and moved up to DFW. You stopped by the shop at Cresson when you were doing One Lap, right?

Yes! OK, now I remember. We did meet in real life. OK, back to your E30 stuff.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/4/15 9:45 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Pix of e46?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/5/15 12:17 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/wtst-2003-bmw-325i/107078/page1/

Currently driving every day. Lemme know if you want any specific pictures of anything.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/5/15 12:58 a.m.

i feel the same way about one i sold, worse part is it was built out of leftover parts from my capri and was alot more fun. doubt ill ever find another 81 marquis 2 door with zero rust for 400 bucks.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/5/15 11:57 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Unless you have a really strong boner for the E12 - and honestly, who wouldn't - I would feel guilty pursuing a straight trade for your E46. I'm happy to share specifics on my car, but from where I'm sitting, yours is much better at being a car. My E12 is a solid driver but needs about a hundred little things to be what I'd call nice.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/5/15 11:59 a.m.

But with some better rear tires, I would not hesitate to drive the E12 to your location from mine (Detroit area). I could even make that happen over Christmas break. :-)

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/5/15 12:02 p.m.

Pretty sure I found my old supercharged '95 Miata on CL.

There was a rush of nostalgia, but I'd rather have a nice NB or NC at this point.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/5/15 2:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to unevolved: Unless you have a really strong boner for the E12 - and honestly, who wouldn't - I would feel guilty pursuing a straight trade for your E46. I'm happy to share specifics on my car, but from where I'm sitting, yours is much better at being a car. My E12 is a solid driver but needs about a hundred little things to be what I'd call nice.

Well, my E46 has pretty high miles, so the value isn't that great. They're thoroughly depreciated at this point, so it's a GREAT $3000 car. My problem is I've got about $7k in it since I bought it, so my expectations are higher.

I'm interested in discussing a trade as well. I've got some vacation time to use up as well, so let's talk about this.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/5/15 7:48 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

I will PM you with specifics on the E12

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/5/15 9:15 p.m.

I bought this dark blue 1966 Datsun Roadster in 1991 and sold it in 1996 to a guy who started a restoration. My wife told me I would regret it and I told her I can always get another one someday but at the time we needed the money and wanted to buy a used piano for junior to start his music lessons on. Side note is he progressed to a french horn and plays it today in his church's orchestra.

Four years ago I get an email from a roadster guy I know asking me if I was interested in buying back the car as the body and interior were restored to the original colors. AND I didn't really have spare money to put into a fourth car so I had to take a pass - I last saw it on eBay with a $10,000 price tag. (the wife was right - I should never have sold it)

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/5/15 9:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to unevolved: I will PM you with specifics on the E12

Thanks, looking forward to it. Let me know when you send it. I don't always get messages through here, sometimes.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
12/6/15 10:34 p.m.

Thought of this thread while poking around CL tonight.

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5343944709.html

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/7/15 1:06 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

PM sent

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/7/15 4:03 p.m.

For those of you watching this saga unfold... Doesn't look like we'll be able to make it work. Timing just doesn't work out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6wSBVlxqlcjrLUj9buHmxCGehohJrF1JOFw4O10JRvan7PvBhKOla2d9g1nn5Im