skunkkitten
skunkkitten
5/4/10 8:50 p.m.

I just bought a 99 Integra Type R, probably because my MINI Coper S was just to practical. I am looking for setup advice for open track events. The car came with new Ground Control coilovers and Koni yellow struts, camber adjusters, new Yoko S-drive tires (on stock rims), header, intake and exhaust. Any good tips on starting points for alignment, ride height, tire pressure, etc? I would rather work with what I have than invest a bunch in new parts, at least for now. Also, I see some "harness bars" advertized. Are these things strong enough to mount a harness to for open track events? Local rules don't require me to use a roll bar or cage.

skunkkitten
skunkkitten New Reader
5/4/10 8:59 p.m.

I forgot to add that I also use this car on the street a few times per week.

Springs are 450 front, 400 rear.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
5/4/10 9:06 p.m.

I wouldn't use just a harness bar without a roll bar. They tend to break backs with stock seats, and if you go to a race seat that won't collapse and break your back on the harness bar, the roof will cave in and crush you, because your seat can't collapse.

splitime
splitime Reader
5/4/10 9:15 p.m.

www.itrca.com :) Oh and the 10th ITR Expo is this July 4/5th in Illinois..... come on out :)

Tommy is also right... AVOID the harness bar. He is dead on. They are borderline acceptable for autox use... even there I personally wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. If you are concerned with sliding around in your seat and looking mainly at the harness to hold you tight (as its safety ability is close to nothing without rollover protection), you can use a trick to lock the stock seatbelts.

Trick: Slide seat back a few clicks from where you usually sit, ie: away from wheel.
Then pull seatbelt tight across lap, pulling slack through belt clip Hold it a inch or so above buckle (feel this part out, there is a sort of sweet spot) Then give a quick jerk of the belt going across your chest, it will lock If you did it right, it will be borderline hard to get the clip into the buckle... breathe in and get it there. Then pull seat forward if you can reach adjustment :P and enjoy a new locked in experience.

For setup stuff though... ITRCA group is a good group. ITR forum on Honda-tech is decent, alot of the ITR core guys abandoned ship awhile back for honda-tekh though (yes, with a k)

Gluck and enjoy a beautiful factory car.

sidenote: Formating of my post keeps breaking, even with edits and inserting html code to force "br"s ARGH

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
5/5/10 6:36 p.m.

the most important modification needed on a genuine Type R is the best alarm/anti-theft system you can find. Do that first.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
5/6/10 11:44 p.m.

I was gonna say if your tracking it on a regular basis, just watch out for oil starvation problems, I've heard horror stories of a couple of guys killing their ITR's running at porsche club events. The kicked out oil pan helps though...

Andrew

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
5/17/10 5:42 a.m.

Another option for your seatbelts is that CG lock thing. I have not used one, but I have heard nothing but praise from people who own them. I use the old school trick that "splitime" outlined.

Heres a link:

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

Enjoy your ITR and be sure to buy the best alarm on the market for that thing!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BA8IO07VXK2xiMv1xUsxZI6tEBC6e62aRMtGEjkLriH9SBl8lIFm2SfVdPp9UHHh