1 2 3 4
Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/8/14 4:49 a.m.

I would go with the 82. I think the look better with the rear spoiler and deeper front bumper, and I think the collector editionis the only one where the rear hatch opens making it easier to store the T tops.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
5/8/14 5:06 a.m.

I have a good family friend who is selling their 2 owner (the first owner was his brother) 1978 Silver Anniversary Edition 4-speed manual Vette.....

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
5/8/14 5:19 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I like C3 corvettes. The C4 is ugly, unless you manage to buy a 1983 of course.

There were no Vettes made for 83. The plant was shut down to retool for the 84's as they were so different from the previous model. All of them sold as 83's were over run 82's.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields New Reader
5/8/14 5:26 a.m.

I agree those are cool collector cars, symbolic of the era. But there are so many pace car and limited edition Corvettes, sometimes I think the rare one is a regular Corvette with no special badging. It seems like everyone who bought a 1978 pace car put it away as a collector car, so there are literally thousands of them out there (originally one for each Chevy dealer). As a result, three decades later, they are still not high-dollar cars, and people are starting to drive them.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/8/14 6:15 a.m.

It depends on how much chest hair you have, and how you look in gold chains.

I think you will be fine.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/8/14 7:03 a.m.

Well now I don't feel so ashamed to say I really liked the 78s. I know the nose on the later models made it was more stable at speed, I just like the nose on the 78 and the glass in the back. Plus there was a really hot bank teller here that drove one.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
5/8/14 7:11 a.m.

I had planned on a day of mindless day dreaming, but that serenity is shattered with the incredible task of weighing and calculating of which Corvette I prefer.

Not easy, working on it, will get back to you later.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/8/14 7:51 a.m.
Wally wrote: I would go with the 82. I think the look better with the rear spoiler and deeper front bumper, and I think the collector editionis the only one where the rear hatch opens making it easier to store the T tops.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/8/14 7:54 a.m.

Let's explore this tangent again:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/8/14 8:06 a.m.
SVreX wrote: It depends on how much chest hair you have, and how you look in gold chains. I think you will be fine.

Damn beat to the punch!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/8/14 8:18 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Golly, the least desireable vintage of the least desireable body style. Lets go with, "Spend the money on pizza instead."

Or you could read it as "the best choice to cut up for making a really insane track car." I like the looks on the C3, but they need a lot of help in both the horsepower and handling departments. This would need to be a tech packed, over the top build, or at least finding ways to really dial in what's already on the car, not a near stock restoration.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
5/8/14 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Kia_Racer:

Yeah, I got that, was trying to make a funny but you missed it.

dinger
dinger Reader
5/8/14 8:56 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Or you could read it as "the best choice to cut up for making a really insane track car."

Exactly. I'm not a fan of the car stock, but I could cut up a 78-82 or 84-91 Corvette and absolutely not lose a wink of sleep due to remorse.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
5/8/14 8:56 a.m.

I am guessing those that are haters have never driven one. The view from behind the steering wheel of a C3 under acceleration looking over those fenders is one of the BEST views on the planet.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
5/8/14 9:03 a.m.

I like the color scheme of the '78 Pace Cars. That color scheme looks good on pretty much any GM product of that time period. I've seen it applied to 2nd gen Trans Ams and it looks great.

I do like the body of the '82 better though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/8/14 9:09 a.m.

The flat black one with the flares looks hot. If it was basically a ground-up mechanical redo of the entire car I suppose it would be pretty awesome to rip on too.

The stock ones and mildly "fluffed" ones I see for sale all look like E36 M3ty kit cars to me. It would be fun to pick one up cheap and go nuts on it like I'd do with a chevette, pinto, manta, etc... but otherwise... do not want.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/14 9:21 a.m.

I've been thinking about this all night, why I don't like the C3. I came to the same conclusion as GPS. It looks like a kit car. It's a big fiberglass blob.

If I wanted a Vette, it would either be a C2 convertible because of style or a C7 because of awesome.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/8/14 9:26 a.m.

Agree, the C2 is my favorite body style. If I wanted performance I would only be looking at C5 on up depending on how much cash I wanted to spend.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
5/8/14 9:27 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Golly, the least desireable vintage of the least desireable body style. Lets go with, "Spend the money on pizza instead."
Or you could read it as "the best choice to cut up for making a really insane track car." I like the looks on the C3, but they need a lot of help in both the horsepower and handling departments. This would need to be a tech packed, over the top build, or at least finding ways to really dial in what's already on the car, not a near stock restoration.

This times a million! I've never understood why some poorly engineered E36 M3heaps coughFoxbodycough are viewed as a perfect basis for a racecar despite having almost nothing good to start with, while others are "oh no, those suck, start with something else"

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/8/14 9:39 a.m.
NONACK wrote: This times a million! I've never understood why some poorly engineered E36 M3heaps *cough*Foxbody*cough* are viewed as a perfect basis for a racecar despite having almost nothing good to start with, while others are "oh no, those suck, start with something else"

Probably the biggest thing C3s have against them is their curb weight, which ballooned to over 3600 lbs by the mid '70s. You could get a stripped down mid '80s Caprice with a lighter curb weight.

The '80 and later ones are supposed to be a bit lighter. And, of course, modern pony cars are heavier than a C3.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/8/14 10:17 a.m.

+1

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/8/14 10:18 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
NONACK wrote: This times a million! I've never understood why some poorly engineered E36 M3heaps *cough*Foxbody*cough* are viewed as a perfect basis for a racecar despite having almost nothing good to start with, while others are "oh no, those suck, start with something else"
Probably the biggest thing C3s have against them is their curb weight, which ballooned to over 3600 lbs by the mid '70s. You could get a stripped down mid '80s Caprice with a lighter curb weight. The '80 and later ones are supposed to be a bit lighter. And, of course, modern pony cars are heavier than a C3.

high curb weight, a chassis as rigid as a wet noodle, mediocre ergonomics and bad suspension geometry. What else do you need?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/8/14 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

500 hp

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/8/14 10:21 a.m.

just don't open the doors with the t-tops off on a lift..... you'll crack the body.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
5/8/14 10:36 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: high curb weight, a chassis as rigid as a wet noodle, mediocre ergonomics and bad suspension geometry. What else do you need?

Wait, now I can't tell which late 70s/80s American car we're talking about

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AzNUilN9VzvqhKZgPrm6OtvSYDvsnDWNQ7kOmCd5J206OYnzhxSYRZDgdjuWkcS3