2 3 4 5 6
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/14 3:02 p.m.

I wouldn't take that to be the case in a magazine project car. Remember, the guys involved have to put out 16 quality magazines a year as well as run two non-trivial motorsports events. Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear isn't always in the cards.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/8/14 3:03 p.m.

Oh, I'm not saying DP's corvette isn't awesome. It's also had 20+ years of development. given that much time and talent thrown at it for that long you could make a Hyundai Pony a GT-R beater.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
5/8/14 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Forgetting the RoSpit already?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/8/14 3:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I wouldn't take that to be the case in a magazine project car. Remember, the guys involved have to put out 16 quality magazines a year as well as run two non-trivial motorsports events. Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear isn't always in the cards.

Thanks Keith--- but two events? I think you are forgetting a couple!

$2014 Challenge

Ultimate Track Car Challenge

Speedfest at the Mitty

GRM Experience at the Rolex 24

and Keith is right.....it isn't always in the cards. It is occasionally in the cards though.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/8/14 3:25 p.m.

Maybe buy one, then buy the 4.8 from patgizz, twin-turbo it and make a grassroots/poor man's Callaway. Try to hit some of the LSR events as well.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
5/8/14 3:34 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Maybe buy one, then buy the 4.8 from patgizz, twin-turbo it and make a grassroots/poor man's Callaway. Try to hit some of the LSR events as well.

That is such a great idea that I had to quote it for everyone to see it again.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/14 3:50 p.m.
turboswede wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Forgetting the RoSpit already?

Nope. That was a 6 year project that ended about a decade ago.

Joe, I thought about the shows as well, but I figured they were probably easier to organize than the competitive events. The Mitty racing is handled by HSR and there's some other group doing Daytona :) But when I think about it, the Mitty is probably more work to set up than the UTCC.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/8/14 4:03 p.m.

I guess you haven't been following along, Keith. Tim's turned out a whole big bunch of cars since then... and just this year he's already got the Mini's metal work and subassemblies all finished, and it should be back together before long. Then he'll start on the Tornado--which is scheduled to go to Amelia in March.

Margie

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/8/14 4:21 p.m.

Nope. That was a 6 year project that ended about a decade ago.

Joe, I thought about the shows as well, but I figured they were probably easier to organize than the competitive events. The Mitty racing is handled by HSR and there's some other group doing Daytona :) But when I think about it, the Mitty is probably more work to set up than the UTCC.

Yeah-- the Mitty consumes tons of time from our entire staff---it's probably our most labor intensive event. The other events have fewer moving parts, so they are a little easier for us to run. Each event has it's needs, and each event puts different stresses on our different departments. That said, they give us a chance to interact directly with our readers--- and we all truly enjoy that. My job would be a lot less fun if I never left the office!

And although we haven't really tackled a ridiculous build like the legendary Ro-Spit, the Bezerkely was pretty ambitious....although flawed. And the upcoming Tornado should be extremely interesting for both GRM and CMS readers I'd think. Stay tuned!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/8/14 4:21 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: I'd go with the regular '78. When I was a kid and these cars were new, they were everywhere down the shore during the summer. Riding along on my Schwinn, these were cool. 36 years later I know they weren't the high point of Corvette history. I do see them as unappreciated raw material to have some fun with. The 7 year old kid in me would enjoy reading a build on one.

^This.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/8/14 4:30 p.m.

I actually have been thinking about these things recently. See...:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1977-corvette-800-in-ny/84251/page1/

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/8/14 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I showed my wife that the other day. I'm trying to convince her i could put it together and make it a sensible DD. she keeps mumbling something about snow.

maj75
maj75 Reader
5/8/14 4:43 p.m.

If you must, get an 81. Last year for the 4-speed, because an auto C3 is for ladies. DO NOT GET the 1982 unless you are going to do a swap. It has the horrible cross-fire fuel injection and a mandatory automatic. One of the top ten worst Corvettes according to a list I just read. IIRC 3 of the top ten worst were:1975,1979 and 1982.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/8/14 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Margie, you need to tell us how Tim still has the energy to do all these projects! I'm about his age and he makes me look lazy!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/14 5:21 p.m.

It was my understanding that the more recent crop of cars have been less labor-intensive than the Ro-Spit was. I thought he was taking more of a project management role, perhaps. I must admit I haven't been following them that closely, and I tend to be more aware of the Classic projects for some reason.

Anyhow, if the goal of this thread was to prepare us for a new build that looks like a C3 'Vette but that is completely reengineered under the skin, then have at it!

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/8/14 6:19 p.m.

The C3s are my favorite. I worked Ina resto shop in high school while they were mostly drivers and the C2s were most of our business.

Ideally I would get an early big block roadster with the "off road" flares and headlights.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/8/14 8:12 p.m.

I have often been accused of being an enabler so...um...let the project begin

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/4445596146.html

You're coming up for spring carlisle aren't you? Bring a trailer...

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/8/14 8:48 p.m.

I would rather put the $800 into the one Woody posted, at least the disassembly has been taken care of.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/8/14 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Um, no. He does metalwork in the garage most nights until the wee hours. Says it relaxes him. The laundry he produces is horrifying. Been doing this for decades, when he's not up late writing or doing bench work restoring smaller pieces.

Margie

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
5/8/14 9:32 p.m.

I'll cut one hell of a deal on GRM for my 79 L-48 "project."

We're already way upside down in the thing.

Fun car to drive around. It got sidelined by a bad water pump and PS lines. Eventually turned into a "while I'm in there" sort of thing that's got me debating pulling the rest of the engine out. Interior is 95% complete and in great shape, though.

If you squint hard enough whilst driving, it's almost like you're in a 69 427 and not a 79 Smogger. Definitely makes good noises and turns a lot of heads. Best part is how the roof panels don't really fit well in the original bags...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/8/14 10:22 p.m.
Wally wrote: The C3s are my favorite. I worked Ina resto shop in high school while they were mostly drivers and the C2s were most of our business. Ideally I would get an early big block roadster with the "off road" flares and headlights.

I doubt this is what you're thinking. But its berkeleying awesome!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/14 10:49 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Um, no. He does metalwork in the garage most nights until the wee hours. Says it relaxes him. The laundry he produces is horrifying. Been doing this for decades, when he's not up late writing or doing bench work restoring smaller pieces. Margie

I'm sorry to hear that for your sake, Margie. But it's good news

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/9/14 4:02 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

That would answer the wife's question about what I'd do in the snow.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
5/9/14 6:59 a.m.

You guys suck. When I was in grade school my teacher bought a brand new 1978 Corvette. To an 11 year old kid it was the coolest car in the world. Now I'm cruising Kijiji looking at these things. I had no idea how cheap they'd become.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/9/14 7:25 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I used to like them a lot.......until I drove one. For a non-tall guy (I'm 5'8") it was nearly impossible to see out of. You sit low, and those Buck Rodgers fenders rise up and block your view of the edges of the car. The hood is about as long as a 71 Eldorado's too, so seeing in front of you isn't great either. I still like the styling in a Saturday Night Fever kinda way, but I'd imagine it would be a pig to autocross. I know it's been done, but it seems like pounding a square peg into a round hole.

That's almost word for word my experience. They can be nice to look at, but wow they're PIGS to drive.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MR2DuV7SSodzaoNnOTrGDB9ibhNIUrulM4s9LVWAF850rHguNGCcg0VquFxjXKUQ